MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: I have a question!

Boolit Buddy

I have a question!

Is it possible to crimp a gas check in place, without having to run a Boolit completely through a Boolit sizing die?

My Boolits cast the perfect size from the mold and do NOT need to be sized even the slightest amount.

I am using a Lee push through bullet sizer, which crimps the gas checks on perfectly, but it sizes the Boolit at the same time, which I do not want or need it to do.

Is there another way that I can crimp on gas checks without the Boolit being sized even the slightest amount?

I do not know if it is a good idea or not, but I crimp them on with the Lee Factory Crimp die. I cut a piece of 308 brass to sit in the die with the press ram in the up position while the handle is down without any pressure added. Hard to describe, but I use an empty 308 case sitting in my 375 Winchester Lee Factory Collet style Crimp Die to give me something to set the bullet on top of. I just set the bullet in the die from the top, and then give the press handle a push. The crimp die crimps the gas check in place.

Boolit Grand Master

You could hone out the die if one in the right size isn't available. If the die is a thou or so larger than your cast boolit it will just squeeze the gas check on without sizing the lead.

Seems to me Lee was making custom sizers. Worth checking out.

If you had a Lyman 450 you could, use a sizing die that was just the right size and set it so none of the bullet was sized.

You could probably get a lee factory crimp die in a 7mm to crimp just the check, turn the bullet and crimp again. You'd have to rig a dowel the right length for the base of the bullet to rest against and insert the bullet from the top.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the responses guys, but I only have a .358 push through size die from Lee.

I was thinking 30 caliber, sorry I assumed.

Moderator Emeritus

Put the boolit, base first into the Die, with GC installed, then push it into the sizing part of the die until the GC is crimped, then push the boolit out of the die from the other side.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Put the boolit, base first into the Die, with GC installed, then push it into the sizing part of the die until the GC is crimped, then push the boolit out of the die from the other side.
    Now that I can do. Thank you for that information. I'll try that tomorrow and see how well it works.

Boolit Master

Plus 1 for JonB.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    JonB,

as simple as it is, it worked perfectly! Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Second question -

I have been thinking a lot about the Lee .358 / 200 gr. Boolit in a 38 special in a rifle. Namely an H&R with a bull barrel, and a 1-14" twist.

If there was enough interest in it, I had planned on working up a bunch of 200 gr. cast loads for the 38 special, except use a rifle as the shooting platform, instead of a revolver.

Powders on hand right now, are as follows:

Blue Dot

Herco

Red Dot

Unique

Lil'Gun

SR4756

Primers - Remington 7 1/2 and CCI-500.

I was planning on keeping loads to 1,000 fps. and test the accuracy of all powders at 75 yards.

The main purpose of this test, it to have a relatively QUIET deer load, and a load my wife and I can practice with on the back of our property without having our surrounding neighbors throw a fit everytime we want to spend an afternoon out shooting.

I know there are more powders available, but what I have listed, I have 5 to 10 pounds of each one, and will not be adding any more to the list.

So.... If any of you guys would find this testing worth while, let me know. I'll try my best to get started on it right after the first of the year.

I have interest in the test, will be watching for it.

I have a Remington no 1 1/2 rolling block rifle that has a Green Mountain barrel chambered in 38 spl.
    I worked up loads for it with Accurate no. 7 powder and 200 gr. Cast boolit and I feel it would easily take deer at up to 100 yards. My problem is my eyes have really went south in the past years and the rifle has iron sights and for me anymore I need a scope but will not scope the antique rolling block.

In fact I also have a antique Stevens tip up single shot break action rifle chambered in 38 spl. and 2 years ago I took a small buck with it here on my own property in OH. 38 special is a legal deer caliber being a strait walled cartridge here in OH.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 12-21-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear of your failing eye sight Jedman. I don't blame you for not wanting to scope a rifle like that either.

Thank you for your interest Bazoo.

Moderator Emeritus

I bet 2400 will be one of the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I bet 2400 will be one of the best.
    I have 7 pounds of that particular powder, so I should be able to get some good testing from it.

Boolit Master
    Unique should not have a problem getting 1000fps in a rifle barrel , you might be able to do it with red dot .

Boolit Buddy
    I believe I can get 1,000 fps. with Red Dot, but only careful testing will prove what each powder will be capable of.

I'm not pushing for speed, just looking for 1,000 fps. with each powder, then a "best accuracy" search after that.