Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Velocity Questions with 460 S&W XVR

Velocity Questions with 460 S&W XVR

What should I expect as reasonable velocities using 400 grain cast in 8 3/8” 460 XVR? Cor-Bon advertises 1525 fps with 395’s. I’m getting a little over 1400 🤬 with my 400’s, with very difficult case extraction! I used a wooden dowel to drive the cases out, as to not risk damage to the firearm.

So far the powders that I’ve tried are AA1680 and WW296. I didn’t want to try LilGun because of lots of bad press!

I do not have access to another chronograph to verify velocities, but this one appears to be very close with other firearms......so, I’m thinking this is a representative velocity.

Soooooo, what should I expect for velocities? I would be OK with a solid 1400 with good extraction. I’m not opposed to some resistance to case extraction.....but, this is a bit much! 🤬

Thanks for any and all comments.....even the less than agreeable ones! 😁 memtb

Vendor Sponsor

You haven't given members much to go on without posting the loads you are using.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    A quick thought, if you are getting sticky cases with a "reasonable" load, look at how much bullet is in the case.
    I had this issue with my 500; load developed with same weight bullet, but shorter shank (less case capacity = higher pressure with same weight).
    Your load data ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Thanks guys. Hornady brass, WW LRM primers, 400 grain cast (Accurate Mold) sized to 0.452”, OAL 2.240”. AA 38.0 grains = 1304 average, terrible accuracy, some extraction resistance WW296 31.0 grains = 1457, with very difficult extraction

Gunslinger1911, I considered the seating depth as a possible issue. If I measured correctly, I could not lengthen the OAL to the next groove without extended beyond end of cylinder. Perhaps, I should seat a bullet for OAL, and prove rather than measure the clearance! I may have mis-measured! �� memtb

Boolit Master
    My brother has that exact gun and runs my cast 320gr at high 1;900s with outstanding accuracy and no signs of high pressure, I believe he uses 38gr H4227. Hope that helps Regards Stephen.

Boolit Master
    memtb, 460 max load with 296 shows 34g at coal at 2.185 with a 400g cast GC.

If coal is maxed out, could your chambers be rough ? Even a Smith, been known to happen.

Worst case, buy (heaven forbid !) a box of high performance ammo and see if it sticks.

I feel your pain sir ! The 500 was really yankin my chain till I figured it out (well, actually John Ross figured it out)
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Check the taper of your chambers. They should have a thousandths or two taper, smallest near the front by the throats and larger at the rear. This lets the fired cases extract easily.

I’ve had a couple or revolvers with hard extraction that either were straight cut without taper or had reverse taper that caused really hard extraction. A finishing reamer remedied all just fine.

Also pay attention to the finish of the chambers. Now days you can’t assume chambers are properly tapered and finished. I’ve had 1 revolver that had hard extraction just bc of the poorly polished surface inside the chambers. Fixed by a light honing. Made a big difference for me.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Thanks guys, I need all of the adult supervision that I can get.

The chambers appear to be nicely polished.....but, me looking at chambers is “like a hog look’n at a wrist watch, it just don’t mean much”!

Chamber taper: not certain if I can get addressed locally......and is several pay grades above my capabilities!

With powder supplies as they are I may be stuck with only these two for a while!

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming....I’ll start pull’n them out of the hat until something works! memtb

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D608405F-0F31-4AF9-AA49-F1B6D6FE1FD1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	273704

I guess you might be able to check the ends of each chamber

Are the stickers randomly choosing a chamber, or is it the same ones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 124D28E0-EFDF-46C3-87C9-CD3EDB599B7C.jpg  

Steve, really not certain if one was considerably worse than the others. When I had extreme difficulty with typical extraction.....I was angered enough, that I didn’t pay close attention when driving out with a dowel! I must learn to be more observant! Thanks! memtb