Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry Long Ranger Disassembly versus Browning BLR

Henry Long Ranger Disassembly versus Browning BLR

I have been looking at both rifles recently with the intention of buying a modern .308 lever gun. Why? Just because.

While most differences are cosmetic or minor, apart from the separate lever and trigger on the LR, and the interrupted locking lug designs, one difference is very significant.

The LR possesses the ability to be disassembled for a detailed cleaning or parts replacement, without the fear of not being able to reassemble it properly. Improper gear timing in assembly could be catastrophic if the bolt lugs are not fully engaged with the lever closed. This is so difficult to achieve that Browning admonishes BLR owners not to take the rifle apart, period.

Henry, on the other hand, actually publishes a wonderful video on their website showing how to disassemble and reassemble the LR, which shows how the small parts can be removed for replacement. This is possible because the LR uses a modular removable trigger group which includes the hammer, trigger, drive gears, and the lever. The entire trigger group could also be dropped into a container of bore solvent to clean it without disassembly.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry...e-long-ranger/

Henry doesn't seem to advise taking the gears and lever portion of the trigger group module apart, and this does not seem to be as easy to do, but it also seems not needed , since you can clean it just fine as is. And, I think that you could do it if you really had to.

Reinstalling the trigger group correctly seems easy, although it is critical that it IS done correctly, for the same reasons as the BLR.

Since the process does include butt-stock removal, it is something that you might only do every few years, but it is really great that you can do it.

So, while the BLR is prettier, I think that I will buy the Long Ranger.

What do you think?

I just sold a BLR in .308, thought it was a great gun. Had it for almost 50 years.

I never had to detail strip it, it just kept shooting.

You can't beat a Browning.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    I just sold a BLR in .308, thought it was a great gun. Had it for almost 50 years.

I never had to detail strip it, it just kept shooting.

You can't beat a Browning.
    I really like Browning quality. I recently bought a BL-22 Grade 2 with receiver engraving and fine walnut, and love it. One of my bucket list guns.

That old gun of yours had a steel receiver. A very fine gun.

Banned
    The Henry Long Ranger in .308 is on my list to acquire. Not sure when, but it’s the one I want in that caliber.

Boolit Master
    the gunsmith I used to live back-to-back with had to clean the underbolt rack of a BLR 308 he'd sold a couple years before. After calling Browning and being shocked by their price for re-timing the lever and bolt, he decided to try it himself. Using 308 Go and No-Go gauges, a Sharpie to mark the gear and rack, and lots of trial and error, he got it the engagement set properly after 2 days of intermittent work. When I bought a 358 BLR, his advice was to clean the bolt rack often with a toothbrush and solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    the gunsmith I used to live back-to-back with had to clean the underbolt rack of a BLR 308 he'd sold a couple years before. After calling Browning and being shocked by their price for re-timing the lever and bolt, he decided to try it himself. Using 308 Go and No-Go gauges, a Sharpie to mark the gear and rack, and lots of trial and error, he got it the engagement set properly after 2 days of intermittent work. When I bought a 358 BLR, his advice was to clean the bolt rack often with a toothbrush and solvent.
    From my research, this seems a familiar account from owners who did need to have their BLR taken apart. Of course most never did, I guess.

The Henry reassembly is much easier according to their video. Just hold the bolt fully closed and locked and then insert the trigger group module with the lever fully closed, such that the trigger group lines up with the screw holes.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had a Browning BLR 308 since 90. I bought it used with a shipping date of 12-80 for a model 81. I had to replace the firing pin as it broke in 2001. I have shot moose, elk, deer, antelope, rabbits and grouse with it and love it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    No argument with the breakdown differences via BLR/Long Ranger; the reassembly problems were well know for the BLR since inception of the design.

Many just choose to go with the BLR and either take their chances with debris in the long term, paying Brownings' fees, or going at it themselves....it is all been done in all ways. The Long Ranger is easier/designed better for dis/reassembly, BUT it suffers only from a shorter life-span due to the date of "birth" of the design/production.

The choice is made mostly by the calibers available in the BLR lineup, and (so far) the smaller choices in the Henry lineup; again this depends upon what the person buying the rifle is willing to put up with in maintenance choices.

Given that I tend to NOT want to send out my rifles for repairs/have the long term ability to make repairs up to a "catastrophic" failure point, a Long Ranger would have been the better choice in reality. This was short circuited by my wife's decision to buy a BLR for me already in the caliber of my choice....game over and done. With her purchase of the BLR, she saved a few hundred dollars in short term cost, but "may" have cost me more long term...depending upon an action breakdown situation. Only time will tell.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    I have had 3 BLR's. I fell down when crossing a creek with one. My gunsmith took it apart for cleaning but had a super terrible time getting it back together properly. I never understood why Browning made the design so complicated. The trigger mechanism is complicated too. The older rifles with straight stocks place the cheek very far below line of sight when scoped. Henry's warranty would make me select the Henry over the Browning unless I had negative information about the Henry.

I had a Browning BLR in 308. It shot as accurately as most bolt actions.

Maybe you still can, maybe not, but you used to be able to skip the local gunsmith, and send it to the experts at Browning for repairs. It was not free, but the work seemed flawless, and the turn around was reasonable. My dad sent a Semi-auto shotgun in for a repair.

The present version of the Browning BLR is an entirely different rifle than the original.
    An aluminum versus a steel receiver. An odd fluted bolt and receiver. Folding hammer safety. Bolt locks into a barrel extension rather than the steel receiver.

What seems very short-sighted on Browning's part is that they chose not to incorporate a modular trigger group like Henry has done when they had the chance with the new model.

Was it because Browning engineers simply overlooked this idea?
    Or was it because they simply were not interested in fixing the problem?
    In retrospect, you do have to ask yourself: "What the heck were they thinking?"
    Why would they totally revamp the old design and ignore the most obvious defect in it?

I can certainly understand the customer loyalty of BLR owners. But, let's face it, if you need to eventually take your rifle apart because parts need replacement, or because you have a stuck case in the chamber, you will be in for a world of frustration.

It's a shame really, because the BLR is certainly the more attractive of the two rifles.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 12-22-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing it's an easy fix if your gunsmith had Browning's bench tools to align the bolt rack with the trigger gear.

I'm guessing it's an easy fix if your gunsmith had Browning's bench tools to align the bolt rack with the trigger gear.
    But, they don't, and Browning doesn't seem to be interested in selling these alignment devices. Probably because it's too easy to screw up the job, and they would face legal liability.

And, with the Henry LR you don't need a gunsmith to take out and replace their modular trigger and lever/gear group. You can do it yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My biggest gripe with the BLR is the tight chamber. Why would a lever action carbine need a tight chamber I have no idea, especially when the rack and pinion mechanism isn't the strongest thing. Otherwise I really like it, my gunsmith is going to ream and polish it out for me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My biggest gripe with the BLR is the tight chamber. Why would a lever action carbine need a tight chamber I have no idea, especially when the rack and pinion mechanism isn't the strongest thing. Otherwise I really like it, my gunsmith is going to ream and polish it out for me.
    The chamber may only seem tight because the rack and pinion mechanism actually operates at a mechanical disadvantage.
    It gains the necessary length of bolt travel to get the cartridge into the chamber with the additional length of the front locking lugs, while maintaining a reasonably short lever throw.
    But the penalty is that the leverage force during feeding and extracting is somewhat reduced compared to a traditional lever action.

So, yes, I would think that a smoother and slightly looser chamber would help.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think mine is extra tight. Cases resized with the RCBS small base die still have a hard time chambering.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have several BLR's (.223, .308, 300 Win Mag, .325, .358) and was very happy when Henry brought out the Long Ranger. My experience with the Browning's - nice and shiny, accurate, good for the rifle range and stand hunters, need to be run wet, will freeze up/misfire in the snow and ice, not a rifle for the back country, Browning customer service - sent a .325 BLR - it would 'lock up' when not 'wet' with oil, even when empty, got it back from Browning - no change, still locks up when no oil or the wind is blowing dust around. Nice light use range and treestand rifle, my Henry is a .223, much better trigger, works more smoothly and more accurate than my BLR .223. I won't buy a Browning product since that .325 BLR. I have multiple Hemry rimfire and the .223. I have Savage 99's in .308, .243, .358 others so I haven't gone for another Henry but the Henry 6.5 Creedmoor is tempting, just a bit better for deer than the .243.

Boolit Master
    Since the Creedmoor is so similar to the 6.5X55, it should be a lot better than a 243.

Since the Creedmoor is so similar to the 6.5X55, it should be a lot better than a 243.
    In the Henry Long Ranger I think that either cartridge would serve a hunter equally well for deer-sized game.
    Both have excellent long range accuracy, with the 6.5 having an edge in muzzle energy at long range.
    But who would choose a lever action for 400 yard shots?
    And for larger game a hunter would be better served with a .308 anyway.

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with any 308 for deer sized game at 400 yards if it will shoot MOA or better with a good hunting bullet. I do have a couple Savage 99's (lever guns) that meet that criteria. My Savage 99 .243 is a .75 MOA rifle but I don't consider the .243 a 400 yard deer cartridge. Not exactly an open sighted thutty-thutty.