Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Casting .22 or .25 pellets

Boolit Grand Master

Casting .22 or .25 pellets

Looking at getting a PCP and was wondering if any of you cast pellets.

I assume it will be easier to cast for the .25's. What molds are you guys using and how does the accuracy compare to commercial pellets? Do you shoot pellets as cast or sized?

Anyone swage pellets? I have a Rock Chucker so that is an option too.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Looking at getting a PCP and was wondering if any of you cast pellets.

I assume it will be easier to cast for the .25's. What molds are you guys using and how does the accuracy compare to commercial pellets? Do you shoot pellets as cast or sized?

Anyone swage pellets? I have a Rock Chucker so that is an option too.
    I don't have a mold and I don't swage pellets HOWEVER, I hope to learn something on this thread.
    I do swage 22lr and if I can figure out how to swage that hourglass shape I might give a try to making dies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I don't have a mold and I don't swage pellets HOWEVER, I hope to learn something on this thread.
    I do swage 22lr and if I can figure out how to swage that hourglass shape I might give a try to making dies.
    Should be next to impossible to swage that profile. But a hollow base bullet similar to a target .38 HBWC should be possible.
    Don Verna

Just bought a NOE 20 gr. mold in 22 cal. and am having great accuracy with stick on ww pressure poured from a ladle in my 392 steroid. Shoots just as well as JSB pellets from it.
    I tried bottom pour and bottom pressure pour, but had more culls from that.... I think I need to adjust the flow rate for bottom pour.
    Bit of a learning curve for me from casting boolits for sure, but the ladle pressure pour method worked best for me so far.

Boolit Master

I have a NOE 25 cal 26 grain Hunter profile mold, not having the best of luck at 25 yards 9 JSB's will shoot a fuzzy one hole group, like 5/8" or so. My cast pellets, in a group of 9 will mostly shoot a slightly larger group with 2 to 3 random flyers 1-1 1/2 inch out.
    I think the problem is dirty lead.
    JSB hades are really awesome, cast pellets just don't anchor critters like Hades.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I don't cast pellets but I do cast .22 cal round balls from a sharp shooter mold. They are a tighter than pellet fit in my Hatsan 135 QE Vortex and my Hatsan 95 vortex. I use a screwdriver handle, give them 3 little raps and they are set.

Accuracy is better than the best pellets I've tried. I mean literally 5 shots one ragged hole.
    Sprue down, which gets flattened some from the screwdriver handle taps.

They would put meat in the pot long after I was no longer able to buy pellets.
    Alloy was roughly 50% COWW and 50% soft lead, range scrap, lead pipe, etc.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Good Morning Ghost Hawk
    I have been looking at both those Hatsan rifles .... Between the 95 or the 135 but both .25 QE Vortex which would you recommend ??
    We plan on buying just one for close to home use so are gathering info...
    Thank you
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good Morning Ghost Hawk
    I have been looking at both those Hatsan rifles .... Between the 95 or the 135 but both .25 QE Vortex which would you recommend ??
    We plan on buying just one for close to home use so are gathering info...
    Thank you
    Both of mine are in .22. Mostly for pellet cost. To switch from .22 to .25 runs the pellet cost per hundred up considerable.

As to the rifles, while I dearly love the 135 it does take a lot more Oomph to cock. And it is a couple pounds heavier.
    Which is why I bought the 95.

Both will give a normal scope conniption fits. It will crunch them Consider something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently selling for 68$ on amazon, I have had zero troubles with either of mine.
    They are designed for magnum springer's. I can't shoot in my back yard (City Ordinance)
    So I setup a basement range. Both with the right pellets will shoot one ragged hole groups at 20 feet.

Mostly I use them in the winter time when I don't feel up to a full range trip. Go down to the basement and crank out 10-15 rounds. Either would have more than enough foot pounds to take out local varmints with a good head shot.
    And I would wait until I have a good headshot with clear background before pulling the trigger.

They are not totally quiet, but they are quieter than a .22lr going supersonic.

And I LOVE the wood on the Hatsan's, IMO it is hard to beat Turkish walnut. Silky smooth with a great finish. Whats not to like?

If you really want .25 then go with it But IMO by the time you get something big enough that I am having second thoughts about the Hatsan, I would normally reach for a powder burner with a light charge of Red Dot. Like a .223rem loaded down to 3-4 grains of Red Dot and a 55 grain bullet with or without gas check.

Or a .38 special with a light charge and heavy bullet.
    It just plain has more WHUMP and still fairly quiet.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you !!! That is good information especially from an owner.
    Also the previous Round Ball info. That is a casting solution I was wondering about also. We shoot alot of 50-50 so we have a pot dedicated to that mix or reasonably close.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 12-19-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Master

Weihrauch makes an outstanding break barrel rifle. I have the HW 30S and it's lights out, really love it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have looked at the Weihrauch. They are top of the line which I do not need.
    I like the Hatsan models with the muzzle attachment for many reasons one of which it already has the noise reducer which an be upgraded with better baffles to be very neighbor friendly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I have looked at the Weihrauch. They are top of the line which I do not need.
    I like the Hatsan models with the muzzle attachment for many reasons one of which it already has the noise reducer which an be upgraded with better baffles to be very neighbor friendly.
    Oh, come on, I think you're worth the investment.