WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1977 Model 70 Winchester

Boolit Master
    Lloyd, and all of you, thanks. Larry, no it is not stamped XTR. I was excited when I saw this, and ran to the safe and pulled the four in the way out to get to it, and BOOM, disappointed.
    I really have been trying to talk myself into letting it go, but it is just too pretty, and I am sure in 270, I will be happy with it. I kinda am a student of Elmer's, and I am real fond of big bore guns. I guess I will find out. the range around here is 50 miles away, but for 100 yds, it is a very nice place, so maybe in March I will get a break in the weather.

RC 46, serial number claims 1977.

This is one of the large group of items that I am tasked with from my bro's estate. Quite daunting, and very pleasurable at the same time. Kinda like Christmas every day. I sometimes think that he planned this "little" annoyance for me.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Buddy
    I have your rifles twin in 30-06, I bought it new in 76 or 77.
    I dont claim to be a mdl 70 expert, but I have a bunch of them, pre 64s and push feeds. My favorite rifles.
    The XTRs came along a few years later and all i have seen say xtr on the barrel.
    Mine would shoot decent, about 1.5 groups with factory loads.
    I free floated the barrel, worked the trigger over. With 168 gr match and 4895 it will shoot 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime with boring regularity.
    When I am serious about making meat, this is the one I pull out of the safe.
    Mine has the bolt shroud also.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    To the OP - my experience with post-64 M70's may be different from yours. Somewhere in the 1980's I was looking for a compact rifle for deer hunting, something less than the '06 I had inherited. I found a dealer who was closing out their stock of M70's that were chambered for 250 Savage. The ballistics looked good so I bought one of these rifles. It produced basketball size patterns at 100 yards with factory ammo. I wanted to load 100-120 grain bullets but none of my loads would group. I sent the rifle to a 'smith in Georgia and had the action bedded. No help. I wrote to Elmer Keith (still have that letter) and he suggested a new barrel. I still wonder how he thought to make that recommendation. I was not excited about his suggestion on my new rifle and kept searching for answers. I called Winchester, then sent the rifle to them for testing. They sent it back with no corrections made and a polite letter explaining it fired well for them. They made no mention on the group sizes they got when firing it. So I'm in the dumps and wondering what to try next. A short time later I was looking at the original factory packaging box the rifle was in when I bought it. While staring at the end flap I read "Rate of Twist 1:14". I shouted so loud I could be heard 2 zip codes away. This was the answer I needed to hear. This rifle was going to demand short (meaning light-for-caliber) bullets. I researched many available bullets in 85 grain weight and settled on the Nosler Ballistic Tip (polymer tip). My first test load with that bullet grouped 1 1/4 " (5 shots @ 100 yards). I experimented with various powders and charges and settled that question but still use the 85 grain Ballistic Tip bullet. The deer are not very fond of it. This was my first experience with a barrel that performed well with light bullets only and have repeated this challenge with a few other rifles. Perhaps you might sample a few light-for-caliber bullets in your rifle. You never known what will work for you.
    I have one of those 250s. Its shoots moa with 87 grain bullets and under 2 inch with 100s. Doesnt shoot 120 for beans but who wants to shoot 120s in a 250 sav. I dont even use them in a 257 roberts. Keep in mind too that the quintessential 250 savage is a 99 savage. Twist rate in them? 1-14. Bullet weight the 250 was designed around?? 87 grain. Want to sell that turd. Ill give you 700 bucks for it. I bought mine at the same time and it cost 250 bucks and winchester had a 50 dollar rebate to get rid of them. You could go and buy yourself a brand new 243 and be rid of that turd.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    To the OP - my experience with post-64 M70's may be different from yours. Somewhere in the 1980's I was looking for a compact rifle for deer hunting, something less than the '06 I had inherited. I found a dealer who was closing out their stock of M70's that were chambered for 250 Savage. The ballistics looked good so I bought one of these rifles. It produced basketball size patterns at 100 yards with factory ammo. I wanted to load 100-120 grain bullets but none of my loads would group. I sent the rifle to a 'smith in Georgia and had the action bedded. No help. I wrote to Elmer Keith (still have that letter) and he suggested a new barrel. I still wonder how he thought to make that recommendation. I was not excited about his suggestion on my new rifle and kept searching for answers. I called Winchester, then sent the rifle to them for testing. They sent it back with no corrections made and a polite letter explaining it fired well for them. They made no mention on the group sizes they got when firing it. So I'm in the dumps and wondering what to try next. A short time later I was looking at the original factory packaging box the rifle was in when I bought it. While staring at the end flap I read "Rate of Twist 1:14". I shouted so loud I could be heard 2 zip codes away. This was the answer I needed to hear. This rifle was going to demand short (meaning light-for-caliber) bullets. I researched many available bullets in 85 grain weight and settled on the Nosler Ballistic Tip (polymer tip). My first test load with that bullet grouped 1 1/4 " (5 shots @ 100 yards). I experimented with various powders and charges and settled that question but still use the 85 grain Ballistic Tip bullet. The deer are not very fond of it. This was my first experience with a barrel that performed well with light bullets only and have repeated this challenge with a few other rifles. Perhaps you might sample a few light-for-caliber bullets in your rifle. You never known what will work for you.
    I have one of those 250s. Its shoots moa with 87 grain bullets and under 2 inch with 100s. Doesnt shoot 120 for beans but who wants to shoot 120s in a 250 sav. I dont even use them in a 257 roberts. Keep in mind too that the quintessential 250 savage is a 99 savage. Twist rate in them? 1-14. Want to sell that turd. Ill give you 700 bucks for it. I bought mine at the same time and it cost 250 bucks and winchester had a 50 dollar rebate to get rid of them. You could go and buy yourself a brand new 243 and be rid of that turd. Id gladly give you 700 bucks for one of the rarest model 70s ever made. Only 250 with sights and 250 without were produced. If you doubt how rare it is try to find one. My buddy has been begging me to sell him mine for 20 years and would gladly buy it or trade you something for it. if you want to keep it give an 87 grain sierra flat base spitzer with a max charge of 4064 and then tell me it wont shoot. That load shoots moa in mine and ive loaded it for 3 different savage 99s and it was hands down the best shooting load in them too.

Boolit Buddy
    I own a Model 70 XTR of that vintage in 30-06. I rebedded the action, free-floated the barrel. That 30 cal hammer forged barrel prints consistent 3/4" 3 shot groups with handloaded 165 gr Sierras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12