Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: .300 Blackout

Boolit Buddy

.300 Blackout

I have a distant relative that recently bought a .300 Blackout cal. Rifle. I know NOTHING about them but he has asked me if I could reload some ammunition for him. Please educate me. In these hard times how difficult is it to get reloading dies, bullets, powder, brass and primers ?. I assume it takes a .30 cal. bullet but what is standard and what powder and loading data should I use. I have a feeling that the initial cost will be prohibitive for the amount of ammo he might use.

Banned
    First thing I would do is send him an inventory if all the stuff he needs to buy you to get this accomplished. At the very least, dies, bullets, brass and primers. He can purchase online and ship to you.
    You will soon see if he still wants you to load ammo for him.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master

Lots of load data for this caliber. A lot depends on what he wants to use it for. Standard velocity or subsonic. Lots of decisions. There are vendors on this forum that sell good brass for a reasonable price.

It’s a very easy cartridge to load for. For an AR15, the bullet seating specs are important in relation to the magazine ribs. Otherwise, if you or preferably HE can find brass, bullets, dies, powder and PRIMERS; go for it. Teach him how to reload.

Primers are hard to find. A bolt action can use just about any powder and bullet combination imaginable.

AR 15’s get more finicky due the need to cycle the gun automatically.

Small Rifle primers combined with Number aa#9, w296, H110, aa1680, and some special 300 BLK powders are the usual combination. I have a bolt gun and use 2400 as my powder.

Boolit Man
    If you can’t find 300 BO brass 223/5.56 can be formed to 300 BO really easily.

how difficult is it to get reloading dies, bullets, powder, brass and primers
    Right now hard to get anything. Primers are most difficult. Reformed brass here (SS), 2400, 690,110 work. Pistol powder will work for bolt or SS.
    IMHO look for factory stuff for now.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I noticed my local Rural King had Federal 175 count plastic tubs of 300 BO, price was still reasonable for loaded and I suspect it was still there due to being a slightly odd caliber.

Banned

Well here we make our own bullets so thats not a problem and the bo does great with cast. Brass is easy to make out of easy to find 223 brass so thats not a problem. theres guys who sell it ready to load on here. It uses slow burning pistol powder and those powders are actually easier to find then about any powder today. Big drawback is it uses small rifle primers (small pistol will do in a pinch) but finding either is about like finding the golden needle in a hay stack. If you can find some primers and some 110 or 4227 get yourself a 130-150 grain mold (ask first though because some dont work well in ars or even bolt 300 bo chambers. In a pinch you can get anything from aa9-1680 to work in an ar and if its a bolt gun ive even used bullseye and unique with cast load in my american 300bo.

Boolit Master

I cast the NOE 152-SP2 for the 300 BO, I run CFE BLK with them. 296 and 2400 would not lock back the last round, but shot well. I really like the 300 BO, but have never fired a factory round in mine.

Banned

I shoot the 130 rcbs with 20 grains of 110 and it runs perfect and locks back in all three of my ars. My 16 inch scoped ar will shoot that load less the 2 inch for an average of 3 5 shot groups at a 100 yards. thats minute of deer or man out past 200 yards.

Boolit Master

At the moment SGAmmo.com is carrying stock in .300Blk. When I was on the hunt, Dillon dies were the gold standard in reloading dies judging by the customer reviews.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill