Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Browning SA-22/ATD

The Browning SA-22/ATD

The Browning SA-22, also known as the ATD (automatic take down). When John Browning designed it in 1914, it was the very first self loader in .22 LR. Nowadays Browning makes a few other .22 autos, so maybe calling it the ATD would be better.

Although I've owned maybe 60 different .22's in the last 5 decades, and shot many other types that friends owned, I had never shot, or even handled an ATD until 3 years ago. My aunt has a big Ranch in Montana, and for years guests visiting would buy her a new .22 or shotgun in appreciation of her hospitality whenever they arrived. She now has quite a collection, and while going through them I saw she had an ATD.
    It had an old Lyman 6x scope on it that looked to big for the little receiver, but man that thing would shoot. I found it liked Mini-Mags and I could get nickel size 50 yard groups and quarter size 100 yard ones. I slayed a few hundred gophers that summer, and knew I had to get an ATD one day. This is her ATD and all those brown spots out in the pasture are gopher mounds:

Last month I saw an older (1969 Belgian) one at a gunshow that had been abused, I ended up trading some 9mm ammo that had cost me $105 for it.
    Broken buttstocks are common on these as there is a correct way, and a not-so-correct way to take them down and remove the barrel.
    Correct procedure is to grab the receiver (not the stock!), pull the bolt back slightly so as not to chip the extractor, then twist the barrel to remove.

Many don't know the correct procedure, and hold the hollow stock, which blows a chunk of wood out from the torque.
    This ATD I got had a nicely done but darker wood patch to fix the piece that blew out, and also a patch where someone had smacked the butt plate down and broke out a piece from the toe. Then someone at a later date had done it again and a big piece was missing from the left side. It had some rust and slight pitting on the receiver and barrel, and the barrel adjusting lock ring, plungers and springs, along with the cartridge stop inside the gun were missing.

I figured I'd just get a new stock and forearm from Browning but even the Grade I set runs $255.
    I ended up winning an E-bay auction for $110 on a Belgian butt stock that has a few dings.
    The rust wasn't that obvious from a distance, but it bugged me, and I figured even if I sent it off for a pricey re blue I doubt they'd be able to remove all the pitting without also removing some of the engraving and barrel markings.

I ended up doing what costs me very little, as I am set up to do Cerakote. A light sandblast and I finished the barrel, receiver an underside of bolt in Sniper Grey Cerakote. Gun is very durable now, won't ever rust again, and I won't have to worry about scratching it.

When I ordered the missing parts I also got an ATD spare parts kit from MGW, it includes the most often needed parts for the ATD.
    I replaced the action, firing pin and extractor springs, also the extractor, cartridge guide and cartridge stop.
    The old parts were still usable but I'll keep them as spares.

It is surprisingly easy to hit out to 25-30 yards with the irons, but in order to get the front bead down into the notch you really have to scrunch your head down on the stock. I'd have to order a taller front sight to be able to raise the back leaf a bit.
    For now I bought a $30 Simmons 4x .22 scope and used a $12 Weaver cantilever mount. The scope is a big larger than I like but when finances are there I'll get an older Redfield Cub 4x or maybe a Leupold Rimfire scope.
    A cantilever mount that attaches to the barrel, and hangs over the action is what you want for consistent repeatability.
    Older ATDs, early 60's an older, had grooves on the receiver, but when you removed the takedown barrel and then reinstalled it, you'd have to re zero every time. Better to have the scope (or irons) attached to the barrel only.

A couple days ago, an older neighbor and I went out to shoot the .22s. He has a Miroku ATD that he inherited when his brother passed away, also scoped with a cheap Simmons.
    I set up some small spinner targets and golf balls at 50 to 60 yards, and we had great fun whacking them. I was shooting from the sitting position leaning against my rear tire, he needed to shoot off his hood with bags, as at 69, he feels he isn't steady enough without a rest.
    We didn't miss much at all and had the spinners going round nonstop.

The ATD is one fine pointing, lightweight and fun rifle. Mine likes Mini-Mags (what .22 doesn't ?) but as far as hunting ammo, does the best with RWS HVHP. I'm glad I finally have one, just wish I hadn't waited so long !

Boolit Master
    I adore the design as well. I picked up my first in about 82, a 76 model with a bulge in the barrel. For 125$ I figured it was a deal. I shot it while looking for a barrel and it was good for 5/8 at 50 consistently. Next was a rusted but complete late 50s Belgian. Under a hundred in it and it was complete with great wood. Bead blasted, drawfiled and rust blued it looks presentable and shoots well. Then came across an octagon barrel grade II, that one set me back 800$!!! Gave it to my daughter for her 22nd birthday, thought it was appropriate.
    I fit a 24 inch heavy sporter to the 76 about 10 years ago, just for kicks, shoot great but kinda heavy for the woods. The bulge barrel is now threaded and wearing a sparrow attached to the Belgian frame, it’s a two barrel set now. It still holds 5/8 for 5 at 50 only more quietly.
    I have a norinco I picked up for 50$, needs a mag tube assembly and rust bluing also. I’m going to cut it back to 16 1/2 and thread as well, might become an integral, ???
    The last is a Remington M24 in short chambering. It proudly wears its irons and is an awesome squirrel getter. A days worth of ammo in the tube, really a weeks worth just hunting.
    I think it is the most elegant little 22 ever, and pretty dang accurate. That is about the best I can do at 50 yards with a 4x and impromptu rest, just perfect for a squirrel rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55FE74EE-B5A4-4558-9F2C-C2C65051684E.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	273402
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I bought one of the old norinco ATD copies and with the cantilever scope mount and my Redfield 3x9 it was the most accurate .22 non target rifle that I ever owned. I used to shoot a weekly .22 rifle silhouette chicken match at a small local range, 50 chickens-10 relays of 5 at 25 yds, offhand with a minute time limit. Had to knock them all the way off the 4x4. Sometimes you would snig them and turn them sideways but it really hurt your feelings to hit them and the foot would hang up on the 4x4. Lots of fun. 1st place got half the pot, 2nd place got a free shoot next week. I won so much money with that rifle, even won a .44 magnum Ruger levergun. Still have the ATD, sold the Ruger. At 5 feet you can’t tell it from a Browning. A beautiful design and a great rifle.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 12-17-2020 at 06:13 PM.

I've heard that while the Norincos don't have the fit and finish of the FN and Miroku guns, they shoot just as nice. Everyone that's had a Norinco has good things to say about it.

Boolit Master

The Browning SA-22/ATD

Love what you did with the Cerakote to save a classics.

Years ago my dad,while rummaging through my Mom’s fathers closet, came across one. Being a firearm enthusiast he was appalled by the lack of care fit had seen and how dusty it was so he cleaned it up and put it back. Few years later grandpa gave it to him since he had no interest in guns and didn’t even remember why he had it.

Fast forward a few more years and I was born.

When I got back into shooting with my wife he gave it to me as a gift with a note, “sorry, when I cleaned this for your granddad I lost the detention spring for the barrel.”

Quick call to browning they sent me an upgrade kit for the barrel retention parts for $22 as they had updated that whole assembly from my 1950s vintage model. Shoots like a dream now and is in great shape. Wife loves it too though the hot brass does like to bounce into fortunate/unfortunate places when she bench rest shoots in warmer weather.

Looking forward to passing along great grandpas rifle to my youngest one day. (Oldest gets other great grandpas 52 original)
    Last edited by StuBach; 01-19-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I got my first when I was 13, and helped put many rabbit diners on the table for my family. After I got out of the Marines, my Dad gave me his 1967 grade II and I have eaten many grouse and rabbits taken with that rifle. I bought an early one with the correct Browning scope a few years ago, and have used it for forest grouse and rabbits also. My best hunting days are with my wife and a Browning SA-22 and a pocket full of CCI mini-mags.

I to have had dozens of 22rifles. Many I’ve had several of but the little Browning I only had one bought new ( 22 short ) and two used in 22lr. When I was 5 my dad bought me a 1897 Marlin and I though I was a big dog. That was until one of my dads friend shot a Browning at the range. I don’t remember if he hit anything but I was impressed by rapid fire. I started to harass Dad to get me a Browning. It wasn’t going to happen but I didn’t know that. Anyway the first time I got to shoot one the empties went down the sleeve of my shirt. I lost interest in them for several years. Was about 16 before I got one.

Years ago I had one of the models that Remington made but traded it off before using it much. Now I have one of the Norinco made ATD’s that I have owned for 25-30 years and it is very accurate. I have a 2 3/4 power shotgun scope on it as it is a long eye relief scope and is very compact and a perfect squirrel rifle. I really like mine !

Jedman

Boolit Master

My version is the Speedmaster model 241 Remington , had a 24 let it go years ago , am keeping the 241 , I like the longer barrel , my older kids uncle had their mothers dads 241 it was accurate and in great shape , last time I saw it the ex brother in law had let it rust to heck and back , other then the top of receiver on mine where its carried mine is almost as nice as when made .

Nice collection you have there, shtur ! I lived in the Jefferson and Gallatin Valley for the last 38 years, moved down to central Arizona 2 years ago.
    I miss Montana but not the cold winters. I moved to Montana in 1982 after my Army service and loved every minute I lived there.

I'm gonna get the Browning/Talley base and rings for my SA, the Weaver one doesn't get the scope back quite far enough. Not in any hurry to upgrade the scope though. The 4x Simmons looks a bit big but is clear and holds zero. Those old Redfield 4x Cubs, and even the new Leupold Rimfire Specials are not inexpensive by any means.

I was vacationing the last week down on the Colorado River below Lake Havasu, great shooting weather, 82 in the afternoon and a balmy 57 at night.
    Went shooting with an old high school friend and he brought out a stainless model 60 Marlin with a silver 3/4" tube scope. Looked nice with the stainless gun but that scope was so dark and fuzzy you couldn't see through it.
    His wife loved my Browning until she got a hot casing down her cleavage.

Boolit Master

Have one of the Norinco copies. Bought new about 35-40 years ago. Need to get it out of the box and try it out. maybe in a year or two I will get aroune to it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago a friend asked me to clean his ATD and regulate the scope. The rifle turned out to Belgium made and chambered for 22 Short Only. That rifle was the definition of nasty inside. It took me a while to get it respectfully cleaned inside and out and it even looked rather nice outside. The scope was a piece of junk. Old and battered, the crosshairs were terribly mis-aligned and would not respond to any attempt to regulate them. I looked for the ammo the owner had brought with the rifle and found his box CCI Mini-Caps. Huh! I said, these won't cycle the action. At least I can see if the scope is anywhere near the point of impact.

I placed a Mini-Cap in the chamber, aimed at the target and pulled the trigger. The shot fired, but I thought I had heard the action cycle. With that second pull of the trigger the striker fell. It had been reset from the first shot! I repeated this test 2 more times, then charged the magazine with 5 rounds. All rounds fired as expected and the action cycled correctly for every shot. I am still star-struck with this rifle cycling with the low power Mini-Caps. This lucky owner has one fine Browning.

Yesterday I bought another Belgian made ATD. The guy who was selling it was an older gent like myself, and said he had gotten the rifle from his father, and he knew that it hadn't been shot since 1975. But he had made sure to keep it oiled. He sure used a stinky oil.
    This guy said it was a 1967 model (my other Belgian is a 1969) but I couldn't verify that, as the serial number doesn't follow the usual Browning system prefix. The serial number should start with 67T, but it read more like an FN (non Browning) rifle. But the barrel is marked Browning, just like my other.
    Maybe it is a transitional model.

This one has the grooves for a scope on the receiver instead of the barrel mounted cantilever base.

The barrel was adjusted wrong (breech end of barrel was about 1/8" away from the cartridge guide) so I fixed that.
    First shot double fed, I suspected it was missing the cartridge stop inside. All the rest of the rounds fed fine. When I got home I took the trigger group out and saw it was missing the cartridge stop, I had a spare in my SA parts drawer.

Today I mounted a Gru-Bee 3/4 tube scope and went back and sighted it in. The Gru-Bee Wolf Pup is a modern copy of the old 70's Redfield Cub 3/4 tube scope, it's small size makes it a good fit on an SA-22. It is a 4x and only weighs 5 ounces. Mine has the "EL" reticle, a circle around the junction of crosshairs with a couple of holdover dots below.
    It's a dang shame that no one shot this for the last 45 years, I'm making up for lost time, put about 200 rounds thru it yesterday and today.

Boolit Master
    Nice find, if my memory is to be trusted the rifle is much earlier than late 60s. They only grooved the receiver for a short time in early production, late 50s is what I think I remember. Didn’t work real well on a takedown so was changed to the D&T that is on current production. I love them, took mine squirrel hunting last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A72C1B86-112A-4938-9ADF-65AB6F1C27A2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	277339
    Those gru bee scopes are nice, I have one on my T bolt. I had thought they may have quite making them. I think I may need another, or two.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    My late 60’s is one with a Salt Stock.

Still trying to figure how to take the buttstock off - rust is coming out between the stock and the rear of the receiver.

The buttplate screws rusted completely away.

I thought the Salt stock problem was only with the older T-Bolts, never heard of an SA with a Salt stock.
    If your SA has a small hole in the bottom of the pistol grip, the stock attaches that way. (The older stocks that are held with a screw thru the pistol grip have a plate at the back where you load ammo, that plate is held on by 4 little screws).

The change was made to the new system in the early 60's, on those the stock is held on by the slotted nut at the end of the magazine.
    Take out the inner mag tube, then use a quarter held in some vise grips, or a big screwdriver, and remove that nut.
    Sometimes the stock is stuck on the magazine tube and is hard to slide off.

rking22, nice bunch of squirrels you have there ! Here in northern Arizona we have the big eared Abert's squirrels, but they are really spread out compared to eastern squirrels. You might hunt for hours and only see a couple. The Abert's come in several different color phases.

I don't plan on taking the barrel off on this one, and if I do I know I'll have to check my zero again. I'd have preferred the barrel scope mount like my other SA, but this one is clean, less weight, and you don't have to remove your rear sight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abert 2.jpg   Abert 1.jpg   Abert 3.jpg   Abert 4.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Those are some cool squirrels! We have grey and red(fox) squirrels. The fox squirrels sometimes have a white face, and are bigger than the grey. And a mature one will make tough gravy!
    I don’t find anything “wrong” with the rails on the receiver either. I set mine up to be a tight lockup and rarely take it down. I do see why they changed, I have seen lots that were loose as a goose and the owner, and gun shop in one case, had no concept of adjusting it. The one in the gun shop was nice, I asked about the looseness and suggested I could take a look. He told me to buy it if I wanted to take it down. Well, friend with me bought it at 50% of value! I took about 30 seconds and properly adjusted it. While standing in front of the jerk store owner. He did not last long in the business. Neat guns, probably my favorite 22 auto ever and a classic J.B. design that has stood the test of time.

All the ones I've seen so far had loose barrels or were missing one or both or the plungers and their springs for the barrel adjustment.
    It's amazing how many users not only don't know how to adjust the barrel, but hold the stock when they twist and blow out a chunk of wood, or don't pull the bolt back slightly and chip the extractor.

My 69 year old neighbor has a Miroku SA-22 that he inherited when his brother passed away. He went out shooting with me a few weeks ago and when I picked his gun up I could feel the barrel flopping around. He had no idea how to adjust it, and I noticed he was holding it by the pistol grip when he removed or installed the barrel.
    I told him not to hold it there or he could break his stock, but he did it several more times out of habit.

Users are told to back off the adjusting ring, and holding the bolt back so you can see inside the action, ensure that the end of the barrel is snug against the cartridge guide, no gap. Then tighten the adjusting ring down snug.
    Then remove the barrel, go one more click tighter, then put the barrel back on.

I go two more clicks. It makes it hard to rotate the barrel that last 1/8", but it seems to make the receiver/barrel more snug, which should help accuracy. If you use the 2 click method, you want to make doubly sure you are holding the action and not the stock.
    The stock being hollow because of the mag tube makes it weaker, but what really causes the stock to blow chunks is the two little ears of wood that go past the trigger guard. Torque at that point, will blow out a strip of wood, usually on the left side, but sometimes the right, or both.
    That first SA I got back in December had been repaired on the right side, then someone had blown out a big chunk from the left side as well.

Boolit Master
    These rifles have interested me for years. They are kind of spendy now with new grade 1s going for $700 or so. Some of the used grade fives on GB look fantastic but so are the prices. Probably worth the leg work to hit up small gunshops and find a used one In person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast