Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick out a hand cannon

Boolit Master

Help me pick out a hand cannon

Disclaimer: I doubt this hand cannon will do anything more than hit the range and take a whitetail under 100yards. And I know perfectly well my 44mag could go that. This is a want not a need. So won’t be a backup or holster handgun.

Info: I will be reloading for it, and I don’t care if it’s something I can’t run down to the LGS and pick up off the shelf. And I doubt I load it up to T Rex DRT power levels.

Lefty wants a SW X frame! So got to ask around what is the recommended (noticed I didn’t say BEST) barrel length, comp or no comp, 460 or 500.

Thanks guys!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Actually,, I have shot several large caliber handguns. The .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, the 460 S&W, the .475 Linbaugh, the Ruger .480, the S&W .500, and a Huntington .500 all in well built handguns.
    I own a few large caliber guns now as a result.
    If I were to pick one of these calibers for the things you described,, I'd opt for the Ruger .480.
    Why?
    All the ones I've shot were quite accurate out to 100 yds AND beyond. Plus,, the felt recoil wasn't as brutal as many of the others.
    And the brass is a bit easier to find.

Oh,,, my current crop of big bore handguns includes a FA in the .454 and (3),, yes three Ruger .480's. Two of my .480's are the DA,, and one is the 5 shot Super, in the SA.
    JMO!

I have killed deer with both 44 mag. in a handgun and rifle. Never found the jacketed bullet. At 60, I don’t want more recoil than a full 44 mag out of my Ruger super Blackhawk. Is it my understanding that 45 colt can be fired from a Smith 460? Nothing wrong with that. Since your a reloader, you can load ammo that can be enjoyable (reduced)for range time. Just my .02.

Boolit Master

500S&W because they don't make a 600 S&W

Boolit Grand Master
    I would opt for the 460 over the 500, with an 8 3/8". It is surprisingly comfortable to shoot and in these days of ammo shortages, the ability to use 45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 460 S&W is a very useful thimg to have.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The monsters of power are a hoot !
    45/70 Contender, 454 Taurus, 500 Smith
    Disclaimer : 90% of my 500 S&W loads are toned down.
    The 454 ? FULL power all the way ! Less power in this dia is what 45 Colt is for. haha

I would second rintinglen's idea that with a 460 you could get 454 and 45 Colt for availability and less power.

You planning to reload, I'd go with the 500 - load it any way you want ! Mouse farts to T-Rex smashers.

Barrel ? I had the 4"w/ comp - i liked it better with a solid "comp".
    With the bullet mass v/s gas output I don't think that comp is doing much but make more noise.
    This is why you see comps on 38 Supers - not so much on 45ACP.

Buddy has 8 something inch bbl - sweet shooter ! Kinda front heavy, but that also tames the recoil a bit.

I now have a John Ross 5" no comp - just an all around great gun !

I have moulds from 325g to 575g. Lots to choose from to abuse that wrist !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I liked the .45-70 T/C Contender 14" Hunter I had, once I put a set of rubber bumpers on it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I liked the .45-70 T/C Contender 14" Hunter I had, once I put a set of rubber bumpers on it.

That's what I had also - the rubber grips are mandatory !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    ive got taurus 454 2inchits a hand full,taurus 480 ruger 8 3/8 which i like a lot and a matched pair of 500 s&w 8 3/8s with comp and my fav.are the s&w,my son has a 480 ruger redhawk 7 1/2 and its a nice shooter also

I have owned some of the cannons. Not .500 S&W or .460. I have shot most of the cannon calibers.
    If I was to buy one the .460 S&W would be the pick on basis of hunting piece. What else would they be good for? Personally if I can’t get it done with 44mag I’ll stay home.

Go big, or go home.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-17-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Went straight to .44 Magnum, and................... just stayed there!!! I don’t dislike the rest of those big bore revolvers, just don’t need them. But that’s just me.YMMV. Be safe and Merry Christmas to all here at Cast Boolits!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Vendor Sponsor

I'm not impressed with recoil and enough barrel cylinder flame to read a newspaper, been there done that.... Nothing I am going to eat will require more than a 250gr or 300gr WFN to put it in the freezer, in fact I have scaled my hunting pistol back to a medium framed Vaquero in 45 Schofield which manages to push a 250gr WFN-GC to 1200fps and stays under the 23,000psi pressure ceiling, and is actually very pleasing to shoot.

So.. If I had to go find a new cannon, I think I'd go for something a little more personal and unique, something that no one else has, I think I would be very tempted to order a Bowen .50 Special 5 shot on a Blackhawk frame, maybe even an old model 3 screw flattop if possible, with some bells and whistles like deep glossy high polish bluing, Turnbull case hardening, fossil Mastodon or Mammoth ivory grips, 5" barrel too just to be different. With such large diameter chambers and a .500" bore, the barrel would be thin and the whole gun would be fairly light and easily packable as compared to smaller calibers, but it could still easily take 30,000psi loads *IF* you wanted to. Yep, one of these would pretty much fix me for the duration as far as revolvers go!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Style and power, all in one package.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails century.jpg  
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    I had a tour of the factory where those centurys were made in Greenfield, IN. Neat stuff! They had a"stretch" version available in 45/90 or 50/110...... yikes!⁸

Boolit Master
    These versatile guns never get boring.

I got a 10" when these 500's came out in 2003,wish I still had it, now I prefer this 4" (actual barrel is 3") but I'm kind of wanting a 8 3/8" for full power...too, not selling this "snubby" ever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I had a tour of the factory where those centurys were made in Greenfield, IN. Neat stuff! They had a"stretch" version available in 45/90 or 50/110...... yikes!⁸
    I'm envious, that would have been a great tour.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    I went with the 460 XVR because I already reload and cast for 45 Colt and the same bullets can be used in both. If I didn't already have the 45 I'm not sure what I would have chosen. Probably the 500.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I went with the 460 XVR because I already reload and cast for 45 Colt and the same bullets can be used in both. If I didn't already have the 45 I'm not sure what I would have chosen. Probably the 500.
    Yep, .45.......because they don't make a .46. They make a .48 and a .50, and those are fine, too.

My choice would be .454 Casull or .460 S&W, but there's nothing wrong with .480 and .500. I'm already set up for .45 Colt so the .45 diameter makes sense for me.

Boolit Master
    As the OP stated, this will be a "just because" gun. I happen to have a few of these.

If you don't mind getting setup to cast and load, I'll stand by the 500 Smith. 6" would be my pref if I was to get another. Load up, load down - what ever floats your boat. A 325-425g .50 slug going 900 f/s still blows a half inch hole !

DougGuy, I hear you on the "special" gun; decades ago I had Gary Reeder build me a 5 shot, 50 AE Blackhawk; I think the first he ever did.
    This is a pure "pride of ownership" gun - I keep wanting to have Turnbull's color case harden it , other "I want's" keep coming up.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast