Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red-dotting a GP100

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered and received one of the EGW mounts for GP100. It's decent in my opinion. It's tight to the gun and seems strong, of course time will tell just how stong. I'm not impressed with the fit of the mount. There are several areas where the tolerances could be tighter. I think it's more an issue of looks over function but I'll take some good close up photos and post them. Now I have to decide on a sight.

Later,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Led; 01-24-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally got to test fire my GP100 with a EGW mount and Vortex Venom red dot. I'm impressed with both the mount and optic. There were no issues on the initial sight in and testing. Fit and finish is good. The mount stayed solidly attached to the gun and the red dot stayed solidly attached to the mount. Ammo used was 100 rounds of full power hand loads. So far I'd recommend both products.

Later,
    Stephen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSF0147.jpg  

Boolit Master
    You will probably enjoy your red dotted revolvers. A friend had a 629 with one and it was really fun to shoot. I may have to try one on my Super Blackhawk.

Boolit Master

Red-dotting a GP100

Well so far, so good I guess.

200 rounds of full-power loads and it hasn’t shifted zero.

I’m finding it a little difficult to get a crisp dot.

I wear progressive bifocals. Initially it looked like they were distorting the dot, so I tried my shooting glasses, which focus around arms length. Nope. No corrective glass. Nope. Back to the bifos and I finally found a sweet spot.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 01-23-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Well so far, so good I guess.

200 rounds of full-power loads and it hasn’t shifted zero.

I’m finding it a little difficult to get a crisp dot.

I wear progressive bifocals. Initially it looked like they were distorting the dot, so I tried my shooting glasses, which focus around arms length. Nope. No corrective glass. Nope. Back to the bifos and I finally found a sweet spot.
    A dot sight is designed to view at a distance and any corrective reading glasses will make the dot appear smudged/comet looking.
    If you have glasses scripted for distance those are the glasses that will work for the dot.

Go try on readers that are 1 full diopter weaker than your reading/computer perscription and look off at a target distance at something small for the best clarity, test other powers until you get the clearest.
    Buy those and use 'em for shooting with the dot.
    It's what I do.
    jmo,
    Edit: and for handgun iron sights I use readers that are 0.5 diopter WEAKER than my reading rescription, more like computer screen correction power.
    Know that the front sight will be clear, but the rear sight and target will remain fuzzy.
    And your old eyes/lenses cannot bend enough anymore to let you focus on them.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-23-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    A dot sight is designed to view at a distance and any corrective reading glasses will make the dot appear smudged/comet looking.
    If you have glasses scripted for distance those are the glasses that will work for the dot.

Go try on readers that are 1 full diopter weaker than your reading/computer perscription and look off at a target distance at something small for the best clarity, test other powers until you get the clearest.
    Buy those and use 'em for shooting with the dot.
    It's what I do.
    jmo,
    Edit: and for handgun iron sights I use readers that are 0.5 diopter WEAKER than my reading rescription, more like computer screen correction power.
    Know that the front sight will be clear, but the rear sight and target will remain fuzzy.
    And your old eyes/lenses cannot bend enough anymore to let you focus on them.
    I’ve since learned it’s due to the astigmatism in my right eye. It looks fine with my left.

Polarized lenses are supposed to fix or at least mitigate the problem, so I ordered a set of clip-ons from Amazon of different colors.

If that doesn’t work I may be in the market for a different sight. I might be anyway since I really don’t want to have to either put on special glasses to shoot or move my head around to find the sweet spot in my bifocals. That’s why I wanted a red dot to begin with.

BTW computer screen prescription is what I wear to shoot, also. Rear sight & target are always going to be blurry when you’re doing it right since our eyes can only focus at one distance.

I still shoot better with the dot.

Boolit Master
    I’ve since learned it’s due to the astigmatism in my right eye. It looks fine with my left.

Polarized lenses are supposed to fix or at least mitigate the problem, so I ordered a set of clip-ons from Amazon of different colors.

If that doesn’t work I may be in the market for a different sight. I might be anyway since I really don’t want to have to either put on special glasses to shoot or move my head around to find the sweet spot in my bifocals. That’s why I wanted a red dot to begin with.

BTW computer screen prescription is what I wear to shoot, also. Rear sight & target are always going to be blurry when you’re doing it right since our eyes can only focus at one distance.

I still shoot better with the dot.
    Thanks for reading/responding to my post.
    Yes computer script work for me for irons but I switch to planos for red dots
    The problem with that is the planos do not work for the close-up stuff like loading or sight adj. and other bench work.
    For bench work I have to put on my readers
    Sometimes I have more glasses than guns lined-up on my shooting bench
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Can you try other colors? I'm not color blind at all, and normally test perfect 20/20 vision, but I still find a green dot is nicer than a red dot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Can you try other colors? I'm not color blind at all, and normally test perfect 20/20 vision, but I still find a green dot is nicer than a red dot.
    It’s not a color issue, but a problem with how an eye with an astigmatism perceives the light emitted by the dot.

It’s not always a problem. For instance my AR with a Sig Romeo 5 is just fine. Also using the lowest brightness setting helps.

I’ll do more homework before purchasing another red dot to find one that works for people with an astigmatism.

Boolit Master
    It’s not a color issue, but a problem with how an eye with an astigmatism perceives the light emitted by the dot.

It’s not always a problem. For instance my AR with a Sig Romeo 5 is just fine. Also using the lowest brightness setting helps.

I’ll do more homework before purchasing another red dot to find one that works for people with an astigmatism.
    Yes
    Astig is your eye lens(es) has 2 radii like the side of a football and the those radii are not necessarily north/south east/west.
    In pictures of people with astig, without wearing corrective lenses/contacts, you will notice their heads tilted so their astig is on axis east/west.
    just some more worthless info,

Last edited by Kenstone; 01-26-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just googled astigmatism, and a ton of pictures of comparisons of stop lights show up. I'm no help, I can definitely understand why trying to shoot a "dot" that looks like a supernova star would be problematic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12