Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red-dotting a GP100

Boolit Master

Red-dotting a GP100

I’d like to red-dot my GP100 10mm, however, the reviews I’ve read of the various no-drill mounts indicates they can’t handle much above .38 special recoil.

The Weig-A-Tinny is not an option as this will remain a holster gun (and not a big custom holster.)

How difficult is it to drill & tap? Someone on another forum referred me to a shop, but they wanted $300 with customer-provided base. That seemed ridiculous for a drill & tap job.

Isn’t this something any competent smith should be able to do?

Boolit Grand Master

The short mount that mounts in place of the rear sight handles recoil fine depending on optic weight.

Boolit Master

If you have a drill press and drill vice and are reasonably handy the Weigand mount is an easy instal, I've done 3 with no problems. The mount attaches with the sight screw so you can mark the next hole easily. After drilling do not move the vise. Remove the drill and insert the tap in the drill press. DO NOT TURN IT ON! Lower the tap into the hole and turn the drill press by hand while lowering the tap. Carefully back it out and instal that screw also before moving to the second hole. Repeat. I am not a machinist nor do I play one on TV but doing it this way has worked for me.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    If you have a drill press and drill vice and are reasonably handy the Weigand mount is an easy instal, I've done 3 with no problems. The mount attaches with the sight screw so you can mark the next hole easily. After drilling do not move the vise. Remove the drill and insert the tap in the drill press. DO NOT TURN IT ON! Lower the tap into the hole and turn the drill press by hand while lowering the tap. Carefully back it out and instal that screw also before moving to the second hole. Repeat. I am not a machinist nor do I play one on TV but doing it this way has worked for me.
    This is correct, but I will add to it. Use a high quality tap, not the cheapest one you can find. Use plenty of tapping oil. Reverse the tap frequently to clear chips. If this is your first attempt at drilling and tapping a revolver, get a piece of scrap steel and practice first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The short mount that mounts in place of the rear sight handles recoil fine depending on optic weight.
    Which one?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I could do that.

Which Weigand mount are you referring to?

Boolit Master

Which Weigand mount are you referring to?
    This one: https://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.htm
    Tatume's post is correct. If it's a stainless gun use a new 6-48 tap. In fact I'd recommend a new tap for either blue or stainless, that way you can't go wrong. The Ruger stainless is not that tough (I did one), just be careful.
    Last edited by fecmech; 12-16-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    ive got a no drill on a ruger super blackhawk 44 mag with heavier red dot on it and its fine

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Which one?
    I know you said no weig-a-tinny, but I assumed you were referring to the full length one that goes in the front and rear sight spots. They also make a short one that mounts in only the rear sight. Google shows up as sometimes calling it the "combat" model. I'll link a video below of one. I've used one on a GP100, and they seem nice and solid, recoil of 357 magnum/10mm auto is no problem for them with reflex and small red dot sights. I just found it on the Weigand website, they are calling it the Ruger mini, fits most Ruger models. I'll link that below as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRUbQ7fwjRc

https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Re...ini-Mount.html

Boolit Master
    I know you said no weig-a-tinny, but I assumed you were referring to the full length one that goes in the front and rear sight spots. They also make a short one that mounts in only the rear sight. Google shows up as sometimes calling it the "combat" model. I'll link a video below of one. I've used one on a GP100, and they seem nice and solid, recoil of 357 magnum/10mm auto is no problem for them with reflex and small red dot sights. I just found it on the Weigand website, they are calling it the Ruger mini, fits most Ruger models. I'll link that below as well.

I dunno, that still looks awfully high.

I got one of those "mini" ones on my GP100 .357 and it works and withstand .357 (5-10% of my shooting). What makes me scratch my head is why make the channel under mount wider than necessary? There is space on both sides that has potential for mount to shift left or right, it hasn't happened to me because I lock tight but makes me wonder.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think it is any higher than the drill and tap models. There are some integral low-profile mounts for reflex sights if you are willing to go that route. The following link is about as low profile as they come.

https://allchingunparts.com/products...cro-mount.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    I got one of those "mini" ones on my GP100 .357 and it works and withstand .357 (5-10% of my shooting). What makes me scratch my head is why make the channel under mount wider than necessary? There is space on both sides that has potential for mount to shift left or right, it hasn't happened to me because I lock tight but makes me wonder.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    It is so that it fits just about any model. It should fit fairly tight on the inside of the slot where the sight used to be. If you look at the bottom, there is a block that fits inside that space. I've heard of people using shims to tighten them, but generally they fit well. The gap in front is inconsequential.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I dunno, that still looks awfully high.
    The red dot is what adds most of the height. Any holster covering the rear sight is probably not going to work even if you could mount the sight directly to the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been wanting to add a red dot to my 3 inch GP100 for awhile. I decided to order this mount: https://allchingunparts.com/products...cro-mount.html

I will report back once it's installed.

Later,
    Stephen

I just read the blurb on the Jack Weigand mount. I want one but, Says it won't fit the flat top models. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Do you folks know if my Bisley 44 is a flat top?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I just read the blurb on the Jack Weigand mount. I want one but, Says it won't fit the flat top models. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Do you folks know if my Bisley 44 is a flat top?
    It is easy enough to tell the difference. A standard Ruger has a hump that the rear sight fits in. A flat top has perfectly flat top across the backstrap of the frame. The below link has pictures on the right side of a flat top.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_357-Flattop.htm

It is easy enough to tell the difference. A standard Ruger has a hump that the rear sight fits in. A flat top has perfectly flat top across the backstrap of the frame. The below link has pictures on the right side of a flat top.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_357-Flattop.htm
    OK, I'll dig it out of the safe and take a lookie-loo tomorrow. Thanks for looking that up for me.
    Deplorable infidel

Nope, The Bisley is not a flat top. Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I feel it's related as my eye sight is going south and I'm not alone on this one. I recently purchased a similar design, no drill scope mount, that replaces the sight assy. on the Garand/M1a. platform.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...ount-all-steel.

I'm excited to get it, and it's going to help bring my neglected Garand back to the front of the safe. I'll post a review in the military rifle thread once I get it up and running.
    Thanks folks.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    I've been wanting to add a red dot to my 3 inch GP100 for awhile. I decided to order this mount: https://allchingunparts.com/products...cro-mount.html

I will report back once it's installed.

Later,
    Stephen
    Yeah I ordered the EGW and a Swampfox Justice, so I guess we can compare notes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast