WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old/antique H&R revolvers

Boolit Master

Old/antique H&R revolvers

I'm debating on picking up these 2 little pocket pistols, ones a 38 the other is a 32. How difficult would it be to reload for these? I assume both are black powder only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I load some FF holy black in loads for .45-70.
    Rather than use a powder measure/hopper like I do smokeless,
    I weighed the right charge, then made and use a volume measure to fit the powder weight like those Lee dipper things.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I load some FF holy black in loads for .45-70.
    Rather than use a powder measure/hopper like I do smokeless,
    I weighed the right charge, then made and use a volume measure to fit the powder weight like those Lee dipper things.
    Kinda like what my friend made me for adding cornmeal to my 44cal. It was made out of a cut down 9mm shell.

Boolit Master
    I like these things, everything from Merwins to topbreaks, 32SW and 38SW. I use FFF black and soft lead bullets, no fillers.They work quite well for what they they were designed for, close range personal protection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sevensix.jpg   target32merwin.jpg  
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadeye View Post
    I like these things, everything from Merwins to topbreaks, 32SW and 38SW. I use FFF black and soft lead bullets, no fillers.They work quite well for what they they were designed for, close range personal protection.
    I haven't decided yet but I would have to go over the border for the holy black and find dies, I assume that the 38/357 dies work for 38 s&w, but the 32 looks harder to find. I can get both pistols for 50 bucks and the gunsmith says they look good for shooting.

38/357 dies won't load 38s&w. Their diameters are different. 38/357 dies size the case down too far.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    38/357 dies won't load 38s&w. Their diameters are different. 38/357 dies size the case down too far.
    Good to know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dang....somebody needs to keep their tools in a humidity controlled environment!

They are easy to reload for and I predict you will find t rewarding. It is not unheard of to use very mild smokeless powder loads given appropriate loadings

Boolit Buddy
    32 can be loaded with 32 acp/32 SW long dies.
    38 SW are there own dies...maybe get 9mm Makarov to work.

I once had a very large collection of these revolvers, & kept about half of the nicest when I held a big sell off over the last year... all of mine were shooters...

if your revolvers time out OK, they are shootable with Trailboss... my starting loads for 32 S&W only used 0.5 grains with no fillers needed, & I went up from there with 3 load levels... if your barrels are highly pitted, I either recommend not shooting them, of it you fell you must ( I always did ) I had a load that I crimped a soft 32 caliber lead round ball into the case

some of my collection even gets a couple mild self defense loads occasionally

At one time I had more than 30 of these revolvers in 32 & 38 S&W... pictured in this post are a couple I've kept... I really like the 32 & 38 Hand eject models quite rare & more positive ejecting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Dang....somebody needs to keep their tools in a humidity controlled environment!

They are easy to reload for and I predict you will find t rewarding. It is not unheard of to use very mild smokeless powder loads given appropriate loadings
    That was a set he dug out of somewhere cause we needed a tiny bit for something else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man View Post
    I once had a very large collection of these revolvers, & kept about half of the nicest when I held a big sell off over the last year... all of mine were shooters...

if your revolvers time out OK, they are shootable with Trailboss... my starting loads for 32 S&W only used 0.5 grains with no fillers needed, & I went up from there with 3 load levels... if your barrels are highly pitted, I either recommend not shooting them, of it you fell you must ( I always did ) I had a load that I crimped a soft 32 caliber lead round ball into the case

At one time I had more than 30 of these revolvers in 32 & 38 S&W... pictured in this post are a couple I've kept... I really like the 32 & 38 Hand eject models quite rare & more positive ejecting

Timing on both is good and the bores are too. Cylinder lock up is tight and the 32 top break doesn't have any play in the frame.

it's been a while since I loaded... let me look at my recipes... 0.5 grains sounds like a very tiny amount, but Trailbosse's lil donuts are bulky any the 32 S&W case pretty tiny, but it worked well as my test load... thinking my mid level load was maybe 1.5 grains, but I'll need to check to confirm... when I got into stronger guns I had a 3rd hotter load

32 & 38 S&W are very easy to load... 38 S&W I was able to load with lighter weight larger diameter cast 38 special bullets with acceptable accuracy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man View Post

Nice group!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Do you plan to cast for these or buy boolits?

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded a few 32 S&Ws ....where, with any powder, does one find room for a filler
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've loaded a few 32 S&Ws ....where, with any powder, does one find room for a filler
    No filler, ever...

Boolit Master
    I don't know about the quality of antique H & R revolvers but I have 5 antique S & W top break revolvers, 32 S & W, 38 S & W and 44-40 calibers and I load them with smokeless powder at black powder pressures and shoot them without concern. I have a Merwin Hulbert double action in 38 that I use the same ammo in.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Would black powder substitutes work is these old low pressure guns . I don't use subs or even have gun like that but am just curious
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Would black powder substitutes work is these old low pressure guns . I don't use subs or even have gun like that but am just curious
    They should - just be sure to use loose powder, not pellets.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast