Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The day we always dread

Boolit Grand Master

The day we always dread

It took me some time to think about writing this. I'm quite disappointed in myself, but I think it only fair to share failures, as well as success. This year has been phenomenal, best I've ever had by far for many reasons. Deer hunting has been no different, and we had a couple bruisers on our place this year. I mainly focused on a section which had not only an outstanding buck, but multiple very large bucks, and consistent daylight showings. Firearm season came and went with our normal few deer for meat, nobody saw anything nice. Finally muzzleloader season arrived. I decided to take a whole week off from work, as the season is way too short already. I figured 9 days should give me half a chance anyway, as I was getting pictures of a buck every 4-5 days or so in one spot. This was a section of the property I've left alone, with next to no hunting pressure. I was fairly sure where he would be coming from, and what I needed to do to kill him.

The first day turned out to be outstanding. Deer were everywhere, and I even had a small buck bed not 20 yards from me for about 3 hours before getting up again. I've never got to see a deer bed that close before. The next few days were also very good, more deer, but not what I was after. Finally Wednesday the wind had changed, and I didn't want my scent blowing into the bedding area. The day unfolded quickly, and would not make sense without a map, which I attached below.

I decided to try a tree stand my cousin had left out at the top of the map marked with a blue dot. It was a very good funnel, most deer pass either over the hill, or by it. It would make more sense with the complete map that involves the river, but that is for another day. He had warned me the stand was not very comfortable, but that was an understatement. There had obviously been a branch, which he cut off, but it left a jagged stub which poked you in the middle of the back. That is on top of the fact the stand was hung in a tree leaning forward. My legs were burning, as I had to keep myself in the stand, while also getting stabbed in the back. I gutted it out until 8:30 before I could stay no more. I decided I would make my way to the south, as deer more often than not follow the roads there. The red dot shows about where I sat down, back against a nice tree, and I was facing north east. The main farm road is obvious to the left, however, what can't really be seen on camera is the road just to the right. We've been driving on both, just for fun over the year. This was now about 8:40, and things started happening fast. I had only been sitting 45 seconds or so, when I heard something galloping behind me. To my right appeared the buck I was after. The orange dotted line represents the path the buck had taken, and he was right on the road, about 20 yards from me. I quickly raised the rifle, and bleated to make him stop, as he was moving very fast. For the first time ever, the bleat did not make him stop. Instead it spooked him. He made a hard right turn, and accelerated. I have been practicing with that rifle all year, as well as shooting lots of trap. I was presented with a running 40 yard broadside shot, and I took it. The shot felt great. I watched him run over the field, which is a decent hill, and I saw him stumble near the top. Not knowing for sure where I hit him, despite my confidence, I headed in for a nap.

Now lets talk about the map quickly. The orange is the path the deer took for sure, I watched him. The pink X is approximately where he was when I shot him. The purple represents my best guess on his path when I could not see him. He came from the west, and I know he had been eating in that corner of the field in the past. The yellow circles are areas I know he likes to bed. The west circle is an incredibly steep cliff, which drops off I'd say 50 feet or more. It is a great vantage point for deer. The white dots are where I went wrong. Based on my knowledge of this buck, and the direction he ran, I was so certain those were the paths he would take as he was running away. The pink dot represents where I found him stone cold dead.

After a nap, I went out to look for him around 1pm. I first went to the shot, and being blown over grass, I was not surprised to fail to find hair. Knowing he had a running head start, I knew he went a long ways after the shot. I topped the hill, and did not see him in the field, which was not a huge surprise. I began by walking the most obvious paths my mind, the white dots. I then broadened from there. Eventually I started looking all over the ridge that says Dana Johnson on it. I was so sure it was a good shot, I knew he would make it a ways, but I did not expect him to make it over 200 yards. I went back to the house, and got Dana, and his dog, and we went back out. Fearing the shot had landed too far back, we began looking in the thicker areas of the swamp. Most of is is cattail, but there are large sections of some kind of native grass that grows 7'-8' tall, almost like mini bamboo. Deer love to bed in that stuff too. We had found no blood at this point. The field was dark brown, and frozen, so finding blood or tracks is nearly impossible there. Normally in the taller grass, you will find where it had brushed the wound though. Finding nothing, we again expanded the search. This is the unfortunate part. Dana had passed within feet of the buck. His dog was no help either, which is just a house pet. I continued to look in the west part, as I was so sure he went that way. We circled the entire swamp at this point, it was well after dark, and I had no choice but to call off the search. With no blood, no path, no deer, I was left in disbelief of a miss.

That night I could barely fall asleep. I told myself I had to get over it, and make a better shot next time. I kept thinking of ways it could have ran, including the path that ultimately turned out to be true. I hunted the next couple days, which turned out to be unseasonably warm, about 45 for a high. Since my cousin was going to come hunt Saturday, I stayed out of the area the buck was in, hoping to keep pressure down. Finally Sunday I decided to hunt the stand marked with the red X waypoint. Without seeing a deer, I went in for lunch. Normally I sneak in the east end against the slough. I decided to go west on the way out, as I was not coming back to that stand. Sure enough, I was met with the dead buck. I could not believe how out in the open it was. It was outright STUPID of me. There is no excuse for having not recovered that deer. Sure, it had made it around a small edge of the tall grass, but you could see the buck while standing in the field. It is a situation I have never been faced with before. I've seen family and friends do it, but never to me. Due to the warm weather, he already smelled bad. I was going to try eating some, but he was foul. Coyote's had already eaten the guts out. I found my bullet hole, a beautiful double lung shot, if not a bit high, but nice big entrance and exit holes. The 54 caliber round ball from my TC Renegade sure is effective.

I decided to make the best of the bad situation. I did make a good shot, and the deer did not suffer. He only ran 125ish yards total, maybe 3-4 seconds from the shot. Not bad considering a running head start, and nothing but open field between. I did recover the deer, although the meat was spoiled. I took my pictures, and will European mount the skull. The body I drug to the north west, in the V of the swamp to the north of Dana's ridge. I get lots of coyote pictures back there, and that gives me a good shot from the hill to the north east. Hopefully I'll knock a few of them off this weekend. Most importantly, I know exactly what I did wrong

You always see people talk about blood trails. Sure, a super blood trail may have helped here, but a few drips here are useless. On black field dirt, blood is nearly invisible. I know I've said it before, but I broke my golden rule about tracking ALWAYS FOLLOW THE OBVIOUS PATHS FIRST. I have now modified that to always follow ALL the obvious paths. Badly wounded deer very rarely run for thick cover. They almost always run down a main path. It isn't unless the animal is gutshot, or otherwise is suffering, that they seek refuge. My brain was so certain, that I completely ignored my instincts, which are rarely wrong. All I had to do was walk that field edge all the way, and I would have been successful. Instead, I spent too much time combing over the same general area, kicking around the thick stuff. Dana is kind beyond words, not only allowing me to hunt as I please, but also allowing me to park my fish house there, and practically live there in the fall. Unfortunately he was born with an eye problem where he has next to no peripheral vision. He had walked within feet of the buck, and not seen it. That night I had a gut feeling to go back, but convinced myself to accept a miss. I reasoned that even if he had not seen it, surly the dog would have. I'm sure the dog did find it, but being a house pet likely just licked it and kept going. From the time the deer took the first turn, to the shot, to the top of the hill, it had been running in a straight line. I never thought it would turn hard left like that. I have no idea why it did.

As strange as it is, I feel way better having found it. I know it did not suffer, I know my shooting is still good, and I got to use the animal at least for some things. Other than missing backstraps, it is mostly positive after all. I'm still quite proud of having out smarted a mature buck, which is very likely the largest I have killed to date, as well as making a perfect shot on a running deer. I know I learned from the experience, and I hope others do as well. Don't worry so much about blood, don't second guess your instincts, go back the second day to look, and always follow ALL the obvious paths.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-15-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Nice rack!

Banned

Cute little bugger!

I lost a doe a few years back.....had to have walked within 10yds of her 3-5 times while looking just at dark. When she fell, she wrapped around a large oak tree belly down, no white showing at all. It was thick woods and steep. Made me sick..... I found her the following afternoon when I went out to look and verify range / zero on the shot. Similar situation...very warm overnight, and the way she fell and wrapped around the stump kept her, uh.....insulated. Not willing to risk feeding that to my family, so no meat. Still think about that deer every season......but thankfully the landowner was very gracious and we still hunt there today.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

I shot a doe at dusk during our muzzle loader season several years ago, she was right on the edge of thick cover, and I somehow had convinced myself I'd pulled the shot to the right and gut shot her. Only found a spot of blood about the size of a nickel. It was dark, decided I didn't want to push a wounded deer in thick cover, so walked out. It got in the 40s that night, unusually cool for September. My son and I were back out before the sun came up the next morning, back to the spot I last saw her, started looking and found her piled up less than 30 yards inside the tree line, shot placement was great.

We field dressed and skinned her on the spot, normally I only field dress there and take it out of the woods for the rest. Meat seemed fine, but I decided I was grinding the whole thing, even the tender loins and using it only for chili and such. We ate the whole deer without issue, tasted fine and never had a problem. Probably dead 11 hours before field dressing, was a miracle the coyotes didn't find her, but nothing had touched the deer. I kicked myself bad for making the decision not to push after it, still not sure how I had myself convinced I'd made a bad hit, but I did. Lesson learned, if that situation happened now, I'd wait an hour or so and get a flashlight and go. Any I shoot with arrows now, unless I see it fall down, I wait an hour at least before moving from my stand or blind.

In my experience, bullets rarely leave decent blood trails, but broadheads usually do. A few years ago, I kind of made the switch from being mainly an evening hunter to being mainly a morning hunter and it sure is easier to find them when the sun is up.

I lost a doe a few years back. Found the remains the following spring. I had fired at her in the thick cedars and I was certain she went northernly. Found her carcass about 75 yards southernly. I can only figure that she ran where she did and an unseen doe went north making the racket I heard. No blood found. I'm an okay tracker but it was wet and I just couldn't find nothing. My buddy came and we looked half the night. I looked the next day but gave up.

It don't make me sick however. It's just part of hunting and you take the success with the disappointment. I don't want to lose an animal, but it isn't something to beat myself up over. Just do the best you can and learn from it.

I'm A Honcho!
    Great to match a face to posts!!!

Happened to me this season. Shot one doe and the group didn’t run. Shot another but thought I missed. Recovered one that night. But the other was only 30 yards further in the field. I was sick when I turned the corner from work and saw buzzards. I gave her a proper send off in an adjacent field. Spoiled in the Ga heat and eyes and bottom eaten out by buzzards.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Happens to the best of us. Back in '15 I was at the peak of my archery accuracy before several surgeries nocked me back. Had a beautiful buck come in at 20 yards with plenty of time to get ready. He wouldn't stop, so took a slow walking shot. Hit a bit far back, but the arrow blew through just behind the shoulder, he spooked 10 yards and stopped and looked around to see what bit him, coughed and blew a fist sized glob of lung foam out the wound I could plainly see, then walked off. I just knew he was dead. Hour later, got down and followed the blood in and out of a 20 ft deep creek and out onto a uncut lovegrass hay meadow. After crawling 100 yards from spot to spot in the tall fine grass, I could not find another speck. Looked every day after work for 5 days and never found that buck. Still second guess my shots to the point I passed on a monster (for this area) quartering away at 30 yards this year. Really hate to take a stud out of the population without making good on my part.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I shot a doe at dusk during our muzzle loader season several years ago, she was right on the edge of thick cover, and I somehow had convinced myself I'd pulled the shot to the right and gut shot her. Only found a spot of blood about the size of a nickel. It was dark, decided I didn't want to push a wounded deer in thick cover, so walked out. It got in the 40s that night, unusually cool for September. My son and I were back out before the sun came up the next morning, back to the spot I last saw her, started looking and found her piled up less than 30 yards inside the tree line, shot placement was great.

We field dressed and skinned her on the spot, normally I only field dress there and take it out of the woods for the rest. Meat seemed fine, but I decided I was grinding the whole thing, even the tender loins and using it only for chili and such. We ate the whole deer without issue, tasted fine and never had a problem. Probably dead 11 hours before field dressing, was a miracle the coyotes didn't find her, but nothing had touched the deer. I kicked myself bad for making the decision not to push after it, still not sure how I had myself convinced I'd made a bad hit, but I did. Lesson learned, if that situation happened now, I'd wait an hour or so and get a flashlight and go. Any I shoot with arrows now, unless I see it fall down, I wait an hour at least before moving from my stand or blind.

In my experience, bullets rarely leave decent blood trails, but broadheads usually do. A few years ago, I kind of made the switch from being mainly an evening hunter to being mainly a morning hunter and it sure is easier to find them when the sun is up.
    So easy to second guess ourselves, isn't it?? I looked for mine for almost 2 hrs. that night, and like I said....must have walked RIGHT past her 3-5 times. Just the way she fell and wrapped around that tree, she must have looked like a part of the tree in the dark. Pretty easy to see the following morning, or maybe I just got lucky and walked right up on her.

For the OP(and all of us, I guess).....chin up, you did what you thought was right in the moment, and that's all any of us can do. The fact that we spend the time looking and we're willing to tell the stories speaks to our respect for the animal, at least in my mind. I don't know a serious hunter that's never lost one..... For me, it's how you think about/remember/reflect on that day that defines you as a sportsman.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

You have to be careful assuming anything. I'm of the opinion that rushing to track a deer is NEVER the right move. Unless I see them flip over dead on the spot, I will not step foot in their direction for a minimum of 30 minutes. If I don't see brown hair (or whatever color the animal is) suggesting a good shot, or doubt myself at all, I wait 3 hours minimum. I've successfully found most gut shot deer I was tasked with, tracking is way easier when you are not the one who pulled the trigger. I can't find any reason to ever rush it. Unless it was very hot, as in 70F+, and even then, an animal likely won't spoil for many hours. Some may have coyote problems. My experience is that coyote are usually not a problem over night. On the other hand, there have been way too many deer that were bumped from their first bed, only to run a LONG ways and never seen again. If they feel comfortable, they will stay put. Given some time, even if still alive, they will usually be subdued enough a finishing shot is easy.

I agree completely on bullets. Arrows leave great blood trails. Bullets do not. The idea that there is a bullet that will always leave a pouring wound is fallacy. Even small broadheads are going to leave a razor clean 2" gash, and most people seem to shoot 3 blade heads, and many shoot expandable which are huge. Bullets are flying hammers, nothing clean or subtle about them. The wounds they create are impressive, but do not promote bleeding. Unless you are shooting a 10 gauge wadcutter, you can't compete with an arrow. It's not needed either. Bullets are supremely effective compared to arrows as far as quickly killing. Track the animal, not the blood.

Boolit Grand Master
    It sucks to make a good shot and lose an animal. You found your buck and know you hit it well. Sometimes life is not fair.
    Don Verna

USMC 77, USRA 79

well, at least you know what happened sir... very nice buck.. and I commend the honest write up.

it happens kiddo.. don't give up... deification occurs sometimes.. we learn and move on. i would be lying if I said I have never lost one here. I have. not easy to talk about though. i understand.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    So easy to second guess ourselves, isn't it?? I looked for mine for almost 2 hrs. that night, and like I said....must have walked RIGHT past her 3-5 times. Just the way she fell and wrapped around that tree, she must have looked like a part of the tree in the dark. Pretty easy to see the following morning, or maybe I just got lucky and walked right up on her.

For the OP(and all of us, I guess).....chin up, you did what you thought was right in the moment, and that's all any of us can do. The fact that we spend the time looking and we're willing to tell the stories speaks to our respect for the animal, at least in my mind. I don't know a serious hunter that's never lost one..... For me, it's how you think about/remember/reflect on that day that defines you as a sportsman.
    The bad thing is that she was dead inside of five or six seconds of the shot and on an absolutely straight line in the direction I saw her go. If I'd had confidence in my shot, I'd have been putting a tag on her in a matter of a few minutes instead of several hours.

When I was an inexperienced hunter, I shot a small fork horn right at dusk with a 55 pound recurve, high hit with no exit wound, but the deer ran off and I felt I had a good hit (I don't bow hunt from tree stands that high anymore, the shot angle was not conducive to making a killing shot that close). Anyway, I was freezing and shivering bad and climbed down almost as soon as the buck was out of sight. That was probably a bad move, even though I didn't go in his direction, I went back to dress warmer, eat something and get a couple of good flash lights. Went back out, cold for November, carefully blood trailed the buck. Not too far before I found where he had obviously layed down and gotten the arrow out, then gotten back up, I'm convinced I spooked him somehow. Tracked all the way to a fence bordering private land and it was 2 AM by that time, no way I was crssing that fence with a light at night. Got back out the next morning, the high hit with no exit had left a lot more of the blood off the ground on grass and brush which I didn't see under the flashlight, but I went through the trailing from the start agai in day light and came to the same end point at the fence. Went to see the land owner who was busy feeding cows but gave me the Ok to look. Crossed the fence, found two splotches of blood an then nothing. Crawled dor a hundred yards in all directions looking and even went back on the trail in case he had turned around, nothing. Never found him, though I'm sure he died close down in the draiage pattern of a system of ponds on that farmer's property, but without a blood trail I was never gonna find him, and I never did.

That was a big learning experience for me, I'd only killed two or three deer by then and never with a bow. I actually enjoy blood trailing, weird as that sounds, just something so primal about it. This buck I killed with the cross bow a month ago, I knew was hit hard and had a good idea of where he went and it left a blood trail a blind man could have followed in the day light, wish they were all that easy to find. I stood still and waited 45 minutes before leaving the stand, went in the house and drank coffee and changed boots, probably more than an hour after the shot before I even really started looking, it was 60 degrees that morning, I should have started sooner, I suppose. Every situation is different, you just gotta make the decision based on what you know at the time.

USMC 77, USRA 79

hey Bluejay.. you musta missed his purty face during his bear season post... lol handsome devil... looks almost Alaskan if you ask me.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    It don't make me sick however. It's just part of hunting and you take the success with the disappointment. I don't want to lose an animal, but it isn't something to beat myself up over. Just do the best you can and learn from it.
    I don't let it beat me up too bad. It's the second guessing my shooting/hunting that gets me. If I got bent out of shape at every duck that glides into the reeds, I'd have given up long ago.

Boolit Master

GOOD JOB!!

GREAT STORY!!

Merry CHRISTmas,

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

My first buck with a crossbow I know I made a good 50 yd heart shot. Problem was there were two deer near each other. One jumped immediately up and acted as if hit and went straight back and left. The other bolted right out of my view. Was a warm day. I looked for hours all around the area. I had spooked two other deer who ran back to the left of where I shot. No deer. You start second guessing about your shot, etc. I found the bolt right where I shot and totally covered in blood. First time I had used a Rage head. Later that day I was traveling down a path on the UTV and just caught a glint of white. Took me a bit to find the spot. He had wedged himself between two downed trees against a standing tree. Walked past it three times again when came back with backhoe. Meat was already starting to stink so didn't chance it. I moved it back further for the critters. Was a perfect heart shot and he went no more than 50 yds, just could not see him with his brown blending in like that. Felt like crap but knew he did not suffer. It happens.

Boolit Grand Master
    You did what you thought was correct at the time
    it happens
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

when i was 14yo i shot a 12pt in what i think is behind the shoulder. he was broadside at about 30ish yards. i had buck fever galore. the buck was in my sights and off again i don't know how many times. (it was a borrowed 32 win spl and 170gr winchester fn bullet.) i finally shot him and he runs away. i tell my dad and he comes over and he waits for about 1/2hr and then go to the spot i shot him. there was no snow and it was a little warm out. we go to the spot and we found a little hair. we tried to track him, but with no blood, other deer tracks and no snow, it was next to impossible. we tried to find him for the next 6 hours but then it was dark.

then two days later, my dad's friend shot the buck about 1/2 mile from where i shot him. my dad's friend says he was going into the woods near a brush pile when he spots a brown patch in the brush pile. he looks again and then he finds head and and a little bit of the antlers. then he finds the shoulder and shoots. he drags it out of the brush pile and he's happy because of the 12 points. and then he notices the front left leg. it is broke and infected. then he knows who shot it, me.

i'm still upset that i didn't kill the buck. you never get used it, altho the pain dulls thru time. its good that you got buck.
    Ad Reipublicae his Civitatum Foederatarum Americae, ego sum fortis et libero. Ego autem non exieris ad impios communistarum socialismi. Ora imagines in vestri demented mentem, quod vos mos have misericordia, quia non.

To the Republic of these United States of America, I am strong and free. I will never surrender to godless communist socialism. Pray to images in your demented mind, that you will have mercy, because i will not.

MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    here in ga and fl a lot of people have trailing dogs,atleast 3 to 5 in each county on the blood trailing registry,some do it for free or tips and some charge,alot of people want call for a doe unless they know its one that works for free or tips,folks keep them purty busy around here,some of the good dogs are over 100 retrievals this year already

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast