WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas check maker

Gas check maker

Just wondering, is there any need for GC maker tool here in Europe?

Reason: I finally convinced my retired machinist to make me another one-stroke GC maker and he might make few extra if I talk to him. Just curious about interest & need for GC maker tool here in EU, this isn’t a post about selling etc...

He made for me and for himself a wonderful tool, based on a plans I found on internet and it works great. Our 30cal make a bit higher GC (2.9mm) then Hornady (2.1mm) but they fit all my 30” cast bullets. We will see how new will work, it shouldn’t be so high. Will work with 0.4mm cooper or aluminium strip.

The dark one is mine after heat treatment- hardening.

I know USA has PatMarlin, DimaProk and Matteson, but every time I import stuff from USA I am struck with postage, tax and custom fees (extra 50€).

gamsek
    Last edited by Gamsek; 12-18-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Mold
    Gamsek,

That is very nice workmanship. May I ask where you found the drawing for that tool? I am an amateur machinist and would love to take on that as a challenge.

Best regards,
    Lamont

PS. I'm in the US and so no more eager to pay shipping and duties than you are.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like the IDZ check maker:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=maker

I made the Ed Smith gas check maker:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Check-Makers

post #2

Both I think easy to make but I chose the Ed Smith version largely because I have thick aluminum gutter material at 0.019" so wanted to use a mallet with the thicker material but checkmaker made for thinner material so checks extrude a bit. I figured it might be a bit much for my loading press. Works great with a mallet.

Seems to me I have another set of plans as well for one very similar to the first link.

We'll see if Gamsek's version is the "Easy-to-build gas-check-maker". Might be a third option!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Nice work on the Gas Check making tool. Good looking finish.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Plans are also here and few FB cast groups have them in their files section too. My machinist immediately understood what he has to do when he saw plans....

Boolit Grand Master

Yup! That's the one! Both that one and the Ed Smith are nice rigs and very generous of the designers/makers to share. Both well written up with good plans too.

My first gas check maker was based on the Ed Wosika/Paco Kelly Freecheck design. That one uses a punch like a gasket punch to punch out disks then the disks get put into the forming die. It makes a nice gas check but slow and a bit finnicky handling the disks. The one step check makers are nice.

I'm about to make another Ed Smith check maker for .44 and probably one for PB checks for .30 cal. as well.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I need to buy a lathe and learn this skill.

Those look really nice and professional and heavy duty.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I need to buy a lathe and learn this skill.

Those look really nice and professional and heavy duty.

I have the lathe(s), been working on the skills. I'm finding more of my workshop as I go along. Maybe I can populate my relaoding bench a little better soonish. My thanks to those on this thread who've shared the info they have.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    It's a great project Scrounge and I encourage you to give it a try. Give me a shout should you develop questions. I have made a couple myself and these were some of my early learning projects. BTW, I'm still not that good but I do try. Good luck

Considering the cost of gas checks here in England I've got to say yes! I have made my own check makers but I have been asked by a couple of people where they can get one. I'll send the link to this post to them.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

There is a definitely demand for them in Europe as commercial gas checks are harder to obtain than here in USA. I made and sold to a dozen European countries my gas check makers based on IDZ plans. I did modify the plans to have a punch and threaded sleeve to be separate and I do temper the punch. I also turned down the top portion to fit energy drink bottle to collect gas checks, otherwise gas checks shoot in to the ceiling The design where a single strip passes through is not as good, for couple reasons. First it's more complicated to make with the slot milling and drilling and tapping and you have to sink the screw heads, etc. Second - it's 2x less labor to cut a double row strip and if your strip ends up being 1" instead of 0.9" who cares, but not with a single strip that has to be exact with in order to not get stuck.

Looking at Ed Smith plans I got some ideas how to make the GC maker even more modular, whatever it's going to make easier or not to machine I will see.

P.S. I don't make them anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC maker 44 mag.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	273508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC maker (1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	273509

Dima thanks. After making mine, then his version (slot) he came to same conclusion about slot etc.....and now will combine the best from both and this time he will try to make height of GC closer to factory ones (30cal = 2.1mm)

We will see how it will look and what kind of GC will make. I will post some pictures, I think he will finish them soon after new year....photo of home made GC (2.9mm) on a MP 312-159 HP Hunting far right compared to Hornady and FreeChex.

Boolit Master
    Here is a question, since I do not have a lathe and nowhere to put one if I did have it is there anyone making these that is willing to sell one in .30 cal.?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Here is a question, since I do not have a lathe and nowhere to put one if I did have it is there anyone making these that is willing to sell one in .30 cal.?
    Post a want to buy in the trade section. Someone might make you an offer or have an extra one laying around.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

30 cal

7mm

They are just like Hornady’s, both tools (7mm, 30cal) are snug fit on my RCBS 7mm Sil and MP 312-159, MP 311-410 (undersized GC shank)

I will put those extra 7 mm and 30” GC makers for sale (EUROPE only) next week after I test them also, my machinist already cut perfect GCs but need to see how they fit. Today I checked only one tool- flawless.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gamsek---how about a set of drawings?

Gas check maker

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Gamsek---how about a set of drawings?
    Based on plans mentioned here.sorry but my machinist have plans.

Boolit Master
    Looking good.

Would a Henry lever action 30-30 work with these checks with the right bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Looking good.

Would a Henry lever action 30-30 work with these checks with the right bullet?

If you find a bullet for 30-30, GC will not change anything, it “becomes a part of the bullet”, good example is MP 312-440 Hammer of Thor 1st,2nd GC version, 3rd is PB version. Hornady GC.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    If you find a bullet for 30-30, GC will not change anything, it “becomes a part of the bullet”, good example is MP 312-440 Hammer of Thor 1st,2nd GC version, 3rd is PB version. Hornady GC.
    Yes,what I mean is do I have to find a bullet to fit the check or the other way round?

Here you can see a pointy Mihec bullet with a Gator 500 S&W check. The other bullet is an LBT with a Hornady 500 S&W check. Bullet shank sizes are the same but the "500 S&W" checks are all different. Gator is loose,Hornady snaps on. Gator is low, Hornady has higher walls.

Gator "rifle 500" may be as high as Hornady. I should have ordered those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast