Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are "Traditions" percussion rifles any good?

Boolit Master

My traditions 32 is a great shooter. As good as my custom 32 with a 42” Rice barrel. At half the cost and zero build work.

I've owned and hunted with two Traditions rifles (.50 and .32) and shot both for many years. I was completely satisfied with them. They were splendidly accurate but left home a while back (money needed).
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

Before you commit, I would suggest that you go and handle different brands of rifles. Sometimes it will boil down to which fits YOU the best. A T/C sidelock will be tough to find at most gun shops being long discontinued. But they are nice. Same can be said of a Lyman Great Plains. Pedersoli makes a very nice long rifle in .50 or .32, flint or percussion. All three of these brands have one thing in common, they are all considerably more money than a Traditions. Fit is better, finish is better, better wood. Are the other brands I mentioned more accurate? I doubt it, I've missed with all of them. I know a number of people who have a Traditions and they are completely satisfied as hunting appliances or for target work. I would mention that they may only shoot on an occasional basis, but they do the job and by what I've seen they do it pretty good. If your just starting and your hesitant to make a large expenditure, it's the smart choice. Once your into it and the bug bites you, trust me they'll be plenty more muzzleloaders that you'll drag home. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info.

Accuracy and function definitely top cosmetics etc. I have had a few TCs in the past and they were good guns. I'd really like to do some shooting off a bench with decent sights and see what kind of accuracy can be wrung out of an old PRB, just debating whether to take the plunge and get an actual target rifle or start with something simple that I can learn with/hunt with etc while deciding if/which targetbrifle to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    CVA did come from the same place in Spain...
    I've always said CVA is to muzzle loading what LEE is to reloading. Responsible for getting more people into it, and driving more people away from it, than any other company.

This extended eye relief remedy for astigmatism would be even more fun if it was a scary black rifle flintlock.
    The Traditions Deerhunter is too low cost to have an under rib so I exploited the opportunity with clamp on mounts.

What I've found with the flinter Deerhunter and their flintlock Shenandoah is that they almost always always go boom. Very reliable. And the bores in Traditions barrels are typically top notch. The parts aren't hand forged by the banks of the Monongahela and the stocks aren't hand rubbed but they're functional muzzleloaders that typically will shoot as good as you load and shoot them.

I have a Traditions Buckskinner carbine that I bought close to 30 years ago. I originally bought it because my eye sight was getting worse and I refused to scope my TC Hawken. It's a 1/20 twist sabot shooter, which was kind of a new thing at the time and I wanted to try it. It holds 3" or better group at 100yds no matter how I load it. It quickly proved it's self to be accurate and reliable, and has become my favorite hunting rifle for our restricted, no centerfire hunting areas. Over the years, I have shot more deer with this rifle than all my other firearms combined. I have at least well over 600 rounds through it, and it still looks good, the bore is perfect, and it functions like brand new. What's not to like?
    http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/buck.htm
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885892280
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Have owned their Hawken, Shenandoah and Pennsylvania percussion models. All were 50 cal and good shooters that killed plenty of deer. IIRC the Shenandoah and Pennsylvania were 1-66 RB twist and using .490 RB and .015 pillow ticking patches shot pretty much any load between 40 and 80 grs of either real BP or Pyrodex were deadly accurate. Think the Hawken was 1-48 but not sure, my buddy liked it so I passed it to him. In any event he killed a lot of deer with it. Still have a TC Hawken percussion and a semi-custom flint lock 45 long rifle but age and arthritis have severely limited my use of either.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    This extended eye relief remedy for astigmatism would be even more fun if it was a scary black rifle flintlock.
    The Traditions Deerhunter is too low cost to have an under rib so I exploited the opportunity with clamp on mounts.

What I've found with the flinter Deerhunter and their flintlock Shenandoah is that they almost always always go boom. Very reliable. And the bores in Traditions barrels are typically top notch. The parts aren't hand forged by the banks of the Monongahela and the stocks aren't hand rubbed but they're functional muzzleloaders that typically will shoot as good as you load and shoot them.
    Col. Cooper would have been proud... we’ll done, and I’ll bet it shoots just fine!

Boolit Buddy
    Came across a TC Hawken for a price I couldn't say no to.
    Thanks to all for the great information.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Came across a TC Hawken for a price I couldn't say no to.
    Thanks to all for the great information.
    Mind if I ask what you paid and where you live? Reason I ask is because I've considered selling one of mine, and prices seem to vary quite a bit by region. Loves me some Hawken, and I think you will too. But, I have 3. One is a .58, and it seems to be the one collecting dust over the years. If I do decide to sell it, I'll list it here first.
    Deplorable infidel

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have several break open traditions 50 cal percussion rifles.. i really like mine... easy to clean, simple to operate, and great insurance when powder gets scarce. uses 209 primers and i shoot my home made BP in em with wonderful consistency.. lee reals are awesome in there.. mine are scoped and are great meat getters... i think I bough my first one for $199 on sale in anchorage on a black friday many years ago.. flopped a 4x9 scope and used it for deer season.. after deer season went straight out and bought another one for me and one for my son...

great guns... Did I mention my large frame 44 i been carrying through the blood, the muck and the salt for 20 years is also a taurus???? whats not to like.. economical and sturdy...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Since when has Taurus been made in Spain?
    Nit Wit

I like that period correct scope, too.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Biden calls that a snipers assault rifle! I picked up one cheap and used. Haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. Was left loaded & has some pitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a deer hunter, stalker cant remember what its called its a Tradition flinter with fiber sights plastic stock 50 cal. I like it, light weight short works good. The only thing i would replace is the lock its slow compared to my pedersali cub .32 big difference in lock time. So that being said i would think the lock on the cap version would be the same quality as the flint version I got mine from muzzleloader. com. I think i was all in for $279.00 the cap lock was less. Its the cheapest BP rifle i have and i can hit a 12 gauge shell hull at 50 yards with a rest most of the time. I would buy again for sure.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

What Jeff Michel said. Once the bug bites you will always be on the look out for another one and another one and maybe one more or two or three. That's just they way it is. The wife doesnt need to know.

Biden, don't even get me started. A black power rifle. Yep full auto as soon as you pull the trigger it empties its self. Full auto single shot. Pretty soon you wont be able to have a loading block that hold over ten balls.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    What Jeff Michel said. Once the bug bites you will always be on the look out for another one and another one and maybe one more or two or three. That's just they way it is. The wife doesnt need to know.
    LOL at LC... them words will get ya in the dog house... Your wife still working at AC..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12