Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Pedersoli 1886 tang sight

Pedersoli 1886 tang sight

Recently bought a Pedersoli 1886 from Taylor’s with a pistol grip stock. Shoots well at 100yds with a 405 hard cast powder coat bullet. Wanting to stretch it out a little more so I bought a “long range” tang sight, Pedersoli’s Universal model 430. While the bolt pattern matched the hammer hangs up and blocks the bolt from sliding. The culprit is the sight base is too thick. While I could have it and the screw head machined down I think I’d rather sell it and try something else. Anyone know what brand and model sight would be a direct bolt on for this rifle?

Boolit Master
    You might want to contact Pedersoli and ask why their sight for this gun is causing a problem. You did say it’s a Pedersoli rifle and a Pedersoli sight, correct?

Don’t know what the hole spacing is, however MVA offers bases for several Pedersoli rifles and often completely different rifles will have the same hole spacing. I am a fan of their products and use them wherever I can.
    https://montanavintagearms.com/produ...on-and-sharps/

Boolit Grand Master

MVA are very good sights but a little more money than the pedersoli. Lee shavers sights are very good also. Im not sure if the MVA base would work with the Pedersoli's staff. Hole spacing and the tang angle are the determining factors on the base working. Some are adjustable for staff angle. Buffalo arms also carries a selection of sights.

On a side note. Your base may not require a lot of metal to be removed. a little work with a file might do it. Im curious if its extra on the sight or hammer spur or both. It might help to ink the hammer and see where its hitting and binding

Boolit Master
    I don’t know about the tang sights on the Pedersoli 86 but I know that I put on a older all steel Lyman receiver sight that I bought on my lever action in .45-70 it’s great.

My Pedersoli '86 (early production) is not drilled nor tapped for a tang sight but it is for a Lyman 66W receiver sight.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I thought all the 1886 repros would be up to factory spec, atleast for the screw holes? Mine is an original but it bolts up right on the tang. The rifle doesnt need to have extra screw holes or anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a replica climin' Lyman on my 86 and 95 and they work real fine. I did do some mods to them and am working on an article for Home Shop Machinist on them. Looks way better then the modern sights, to me anyway.

Boolit Master
    Turn you base around 180 and remount then remount the ting sight to the base. If I remember right when you get the sight it is set for a sharps and the reverse is for the Winchester. you have to lousen the spring screw, mount the shaft, adjust the shaft perpendicular to the barrel tighten the spring screw. May need to adjust more than once as the spring can move a little!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D831AB15-7764-4941-8E75-EB9ACB0F4B52.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	274591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D174C75-A9D0-49A2-8B11-4E79AD5D7EEA.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	274593
    Attached pics of how it’s binding on the mount guess I’ll call Taylor’s and Pedersoli and see if there is a work around. I’ve done everything I k ow except breaking out the file and removing material

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanj View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D831AB15-7764-4941-8E75-EB9ACB0F4B52.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	274591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D174C75-A9D0-49A2-8B11-4E79AD5D7EEA.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	274593
    Attached pics of how it’s binding on the mount guess I’ll call Taylor’s and Pedersoli and see if there is a work around. I’ve done everything I k ow except breaking out the file and removing material
    This depends on your build I guess but I would turn that mount around so the staff is at the front then I could get my thumb over the stock to shoot - THEN I would break out the file and remove material - only take a few minutes - polish it up and reblue it - simple job!!!