RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone re-barreled a Marlin .30-30 to .38-55

Boolit Master

Anyone re-barreled a Marlin .30-30 to .38-55

I am looking at a Marlin in .30-30 that I want to have a 26" or 28" hex barrel chambered in .38-55 put on it. Any idea what cost would be for barrel, chambering and fitting. What barrel maker would you use. I know the .30-30 barrel can be bored out to .38-55 but just like the looks of a hex barrel. I would ask one of the SASS gunsmiths that worked on lever guns to do the work but I need to have an idea before asking. What twist would you use on the Marlin. I have a Browning High Wall that uses a 330 gr that is 1:12 twist.

I would think that by the time that you pay for the donor rifle, the barrel, and all the custom work needed, you could find a Marlin 336 Cowboy rifle in 38-55 with Octagon barrel for a lot less. I know that sometimes people say "hex" barrels, but a six sided barrel would have the edges on the sides. An original Winchester 1894 octagon barreled 38-55 might even be less than the custom Marlin. I believe Green Mountain makes octagon .38-55 barrel blanks.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I’d look for one of the Win 94 commemoratives in 38-55.

Boolit Master
    You could probably buy one of the new Cimarron Arms 1894 carbines or rifles for what it would cost to do the work, you could also look for a Marlin 1893 in .38-55 and they seem to be pretty affordable in many cases.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Winchester Canadian Centennial 30/30 and sent it to JES in Oregon to be bored to 38-55. It has the 26" octagon barrel you desire. I added a really nice Skinner ladder sight to mine. Love it!

JES gunsmithing currently gets $250, which includes return shipping, to rebore a Marlin 336 .30-30 to .38-55.

People seem to be very happy with his work, they say the 3 groove barrel is fine.

Here's a link: http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would think that by the time that you pay for the donor rifle, the barrel, and all the custom work needed, you could find a Marlin 336 Cowboy rifle in 38-55 with Octagon barrel for a lot less. I know that sometimes people say "hex" barrels, but a six sided barrel would have the edges on the sides. An original Winchester 1894 octagon barreled 38-55 might even be less than the custom Marlin. I believe Green Mountain makes octagon .38-55 barrel blanks.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Considering a run of the mill .30-30, either Marlin or Winchester is going for $400 on up at local auctions these days, I'd definitely look for one of the 336CB's first.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have been looking for a Cowboy .38-55 but have not found one in the Indianapolis area that the owner hasn't thought it was worth it's weight in gold. A good .30-30 goes for $400-$600 with rebarrel I would still have under $1000. It would be just what I want and would go with my 30" Marlin .45-70. I could request the twist I want and the length of the barrel and full cross section or taper.

Boolit Master

I've rebarrelled two M336s. One to .25-35 and one to .32-40. Years ago, barrel and gunsmithing were right at $600 and then there's shipping. These were with round Douglas barrels.

Cost of rifle/ cost of barrel / cost of gunsmithing and you're right at $1,000. Lot of gunsmithing. Dovetail cuts for iron sights, magazine hangers are time consuming and expensive. And clearance has to be milled at the receiver barrel junction for the mag tube. Then, there's the blueing. Many gunsmiths shy away from octagon barrels as well.

Better off buying ready made./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have a 38-55 Cowboy and it is AWESOME and Accurate
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

I've got a win mod '94 that JES did for me from 30/30 to 38/55 a couple years ago. I love it! I was thinking it was $225 then...

Am thinking of sending Marlin to JES to rebarrel to 375...how do I pack and ship properly?

Quote Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
    Am thinking of sending Marlin to JES to rebarrel to 375...how do I pack and ship properly?
    I would first ensure it's empty, then remove the wood, magazine tube, barrel bands and front/rear sights before getting a free delta-shape mailing tube from your local USPS office, reinforce both inside ends of the tube/carton with some thin plywood, and pad the barreled action with newspaper so tight that it won't move around during shipping.

USPS is also the least expensive way to send/receive long guns.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    BobBill
    JES is a rebore, not a rebarrel
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

We have numerous rebores on "rusty bore" 30-30 Marlins and Winchesters to .375 & .412. They all shoot better than you an imagine.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

I no longer use the USPS for mailing gun parts. in late summer, 2020, received a 1960's Marlin 39 A-DL with beautiful wood and squirrel engraved in the wood stock . When we opened the box at my FFL, we found the stock broken in 2 places at the wrist. The box had been dropped/crushed. My FFL dealer mailed it back to the senders FFL. For 3 weeks the PO could not tell us where it was, even with priority mail tracking.
    When it was finally delivered to the FFL, there was no notice of it being delivered.
    MY suggestion- choose carefully.
    Jim

Thank-you much. Will take it down, pack carefully, i usually ship "Brown" insured. Very good.
    Last edited by BobBill; 11-09-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    Always leave area better then when there...
    Congress is the enemy
    "Welcome to our world called Earth, Where the greatest cause of death is birth." Jack Lucas, Winona, MN.

FYI - the 336 cowboy also came in 30-30 and they bring in less than the 1200 tag on the 38-55's. I'd buy a 30-30 and bore to 38-55 so you have your own chamber/bore diameters. I actually have a 30-30 barrel with JES now.

Boolit Buddy
    It would be a shame to modify a 336CB in 30-30 as they are much rarer than the 38-55. Almost never see one for sale. I would guess that the factory made way more of the 38-55 guns. Would love to have a 30-30 but have never found one locally and the guns on GB are way over priced.

Boolit Man
    One for sale now on Marlinowners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast