RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar 15/ar 9 scope and red dot recommendations

Boolit Master

Ar 15/ar 9 scope and red dot recommendations

I would like for you guys to give me some opinions on scopes and red dot for AR 15/ AR 9, I appreciate any and all help.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a good look at the Nikon P223 3X. I have several of them on my PCC's. Super clear and just the right magnification for the AR9/45. You "may" want a bit more magnification for the 5.56 stuff, they do make the scope in a little higher mag.

Chris

Boolit Buddy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...V2PlEbUhyxF34w

I have the holosun 510 on my ar9 I'm very pleased with it. I also got it on sale at one of the online sporting good stores.

Boolit Master
    Romeo5's here on several PCC's and 556, they work really well for me. Only one wish addition I would like to have on them is if motion activation could be controlled on/off. You take them for vehicle rides they are burning battery but ready to go.

Banned
    I threw a used aimpoint on the ar9 & have no intent to remove it. The 2moa dot can be turned down low enough for use at 100.

Boolit Grand Master

The 9mm doesn’t need a scope. A decent red dot like the Sig Romeo 5 is a good option.

For a .223 rifle, I do prefer a scope. A nice low power variable, preferably illuminated. The Vortex Crossfire II is an example.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

AR9's that are blowbacks are really hard on optics. Spend as much as you can afford to get something with some quality.
    Mine has ate 3 red dots that were on other guns that were fine before.

Boolit Master
    I have a Trijicon MRO on a Larue cantilever mount. Works great and it was what I wanted.

Boolit Master

I really appreciate the help fellas.

Boolit Master
    Not an AR, but also a blow back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080975-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	273262

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090397.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	273263

The CZ Scorpion wears Trijicon reflex, or a Vortex 4X with lighted reticle. When I shoot for groups/load development, the Vortex is mounted in QD rings.

Winelover

Banned
    An 8 oz buffer tames these very well.

Banned

But that 8 oz buffer has more force on the bolt return and still beats the optic to heck. Been there done that

Boolit Master

I bought a Tru Glow Long Eye Relief 4X fixed, with a 2 MOA diamond reticle. I don't like a scope ring so close to my face, and this was for a Mossberg Scout rifle, designed for the long eye relief. Well, it works great for the Scout Rifle, but I was also working on a few AR 15s, 5.56, 300 BO, and 9mm. I found a 3/4" rail riser that placed the center of the scope over the AR 15 barrel nut and placed lever type quick detach rail mounts on the riser.

Shooting the long eye relief scope with both eyes open was like using a reflex dot sight. I took the 9mm out and was snap shooting clay pigeons at 100 yards in no time. I have cheap reflex red dot sights, cheap ones, and they worked fine, but the Tru Glow was better and only 59 bucks, the rail riser and quick detach mounts was another 25 or so total. One good thing was the scope and mount was point of aim on every AR 15 I have built and did not require re-zero. Handy.

I liked the scope so much that I bought a second one just for a H&R 1871 Handi Rifle in .223, with a 24", 1 in 12" barrel. This placed the objective lens just forward of the hammer. This has become my favorite plinker as it shoots an NOE 62 gr plain based round nose designed for PC with no gas check. My cast AR 15/Mini 14 loads go 2250 fps out of 16" barrels, and 2450 from the single shot H&R.

I have an EO Tech reflex my brother gave me for Christmas after I bought a Sig Saur 716 Patrol rifle. It looks and performs well, but does add a bit of weight to an already heavy platform. As this would not be a field gun (already have an M1A) it is not unwieldy if I did choose to use it in the field. I mounted this sight on the Mossberg Scout, just for grins and giggles and it actually performed well. Then again, the Scout has ghost ring iron sights which work fine on their own.

The only sights I had that took a beating was an open reflex red dot sight that drove me nuts trying to zero. It turns out the sight 'glass' was not secure and moved about under recoil. After figuring that out, I secured the 'glass' with the thick type of super glue, problem solved. Out of 5 such reflex sights, only the one had fault under recoil. My wife likes hers, but also likes the flip up front and rear sights that co-witness with the reflex sight.

The 9mm AR 15 rifles (and 1 pistol) have held up well after many rounds of 'factory' level rounds, but see more of the cast 5.56 rounds. The 300 BO ARs don't seem to have any more recoil or cycling energy than the 5.56 ARs. The 9mm ARs and a Marlin Camp 9 do seem to 'jar' a bit more during recoil. Stiffer recoil springs tamed the Marlin and the AR 15 9s. Heck, I almost forgot on tube type reflex sight, you know, the 20 buck variety. I tried it on both of the 9mm carbines, and on the Mossberg Scout. It never lost it's zero.

That's it, 3 types of scopes and reflex sights, all used on each platform. Even the cheapest reflex held it's zero though the red dot was like 5 MOA. I didn't find the large dot to be a hindrance for it's purpose which was 'run and gun' drills on steel plates from 25 to 50 yards. For longer ranges, I really like to use the fixed 4X diamond reticle long eye relief scope. YMMV.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

My Rock River has an EOTECH on it that has lasted many thousands of rounds. Way more expensive than the Sig Romeo or Holosun though.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Romeo5's here on several PCC's and 556, they work really well for me. Only one wish addition I would like to have on them is if motion activation could be controlled on/off. You take them for vehicle rides they are burning battery but ready to go.
    if you want a red dot the romeo 5 is probably your best bang for the buck. It has an auto shut off and auto activation that makes batterys last for years. If you want something that has magnifcation and still can be used fast and have money an acog is hard to beat. But for us poorer people that means a vortex or burris prisim sight. Advantage to them is they have a reticle even when the batterys go flat or in the day when you dont need illumination. If your talking a 2-300 yards then you want a scope. I wouldnt fool with anything but a 3x9. There usually the best bang for the buck in scope makers lines and why settle for a 3x or a 10x when you can have both for the same money. if you want fairly fast cheap look at some entry level illuminated 1x4s. But be careful because theres lots of junk out there. Ar9 is easy. red dot all the way. One of mine has a romeo 5 on it and the other and aim point micro (expensive and today not worth the extra money) But for a 556 you first have to know what it will be used for. Plinking, Long range, hunting, self defense or a combination of any couple of them. When you go to combination answers then you have to compromise somewhere.

Boolit Master

I have Trijicon MROs on two of my AR pistols, one is a 9mm. They are pretty nice.

For the range of a 9mm, a dot will do it for you. 1-4moa size is all you need, I like the small moa dot with a circle around it.

ADMIN

I use a trijicon reflex on my UMP.
    I have the 40 and 45 conversions and I have had no issues with the thousands of rapid fire rounds on both calibers
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    I have to echo the "red dot for 9mm and 'it depends on the application' for .233" advice. IDK what your budget is like but you won't have to go in debt to find an appropriate glass.
    My AR9 wears a SIG Romeo. I shoot heavy boolit subsonics in it so no recoil-related problems yet. I'm shopping for a QD mount for it. My .30 Carbines have simple tube red-dots with QD mounts. My 16" M5-308 and 18" AR450 have a 1-6 Strike Eagle and 1-4 TruGlo in QD mounts. All the above have backup irons, either issue or pop-up type. Why all the QD mounts? Because regardless how much you've paid for an optic or what sort of reputation it has, it WILL be subject to Murphy's Law and go Tango Uniform on you at the most inopportune time. Backup irons don't fog.
    I've built an AR22 M4 clone to use as a subcal drill carbine and I'm having trouble finding an economical 1-4 or 1-6 CQB style scope for it. I had a $100 Vector 1-4 ordered at OP, but when I checked on it, the shipping date was NINE MONTHS OUT so I cancelled it. Nothing else they (or anyone) has near that price point has a CQB type reticle, nor illuminated, and I want the .22 optic to be similar to the glass on the two centerfire carbines. I can do without the illumination, but would prefer a circle-dot or similar reticle to a duplex/mil crosshair, and I'd like the tube to be 30mm. Otherwise I'd just shut up and order the Simmons 1-4 or the fixed 1X Vector, or stick one of my low-power Ks with a dot or post on it.
    I've looked at Midway, OP, SG, CTD and about to shop several of the other usual suspects. Any skinny on an appropriate low-power variable with a true both-eyes 1X and a price tag under $180-ish would be greatly appreciated.
    Ed <><
    Last edited by Old School Big Bore; 01-19-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Master

I appreciate the advice and help on choosing optics, I put a vortex strikefire on the .556 pistol and a nikon 3-9x40 on the 18 inch 556.
    Last edited by USMC87; 01-21-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast