Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a DIY air hose holder

Boolit Master

Ideas for a DIY air hose holder

I don't need (or want) a $35 decorator style holder, just something cheap and easy.
    Thanks.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Full or half a tire rim from either a car/trailer/lawn equipment... Plenty of sizes to to choose from

Moderator Emeritus

If you can find a old car wheel/tire (with Bead still in contact with Wheel), you can make one for free.

I cut one up like this webpage shows for a Planter
    https://southernpinning.com/recycled...anter-project/

But I use the planter as a hose caddy, similar to this, But I prefer to have the wheel intact, so it sits higher off the ground...but either way would work.
    https://www.rootsimple.com/2008/12/a...re-hose-caddy/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Thanks!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Grand Master

free standing or mounted to a wall? I used a wall hanger for a garden hose years ago. an old car rim cut in half bolted to the wall. This will require a spacer behind the center to mount.

I'd scrounged an old Alum. turbo mag. from the scrap yard one time.
    I cut it in half into a 1/2 circle, and mounted it on the wall in the shop for a hose rack.

I used a piece of plywood for a back board, and 3/8th inch 'all thread' with washers & nuts through the lug bolt holes for the right
    amount of stand off so it hung straight and looked flat on the wall.

I convinced the kids its was off of the General Lee from the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If it ain't like 100 ft of hose a few 1/2-3/4" wood dowels on a piece of 2x12 in a semi circle will do it just drill the holes and glue them in have the top three angled so the hose don't come off . Even easier one of those cheapo sheet metal garden hose hangers
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Old welding wire spool prolly get one free from a welding shop

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We always made holders out of old car rims bolted to a piece of 2 X 6 - the 2 X 6 extended above the top fo the rim and had a hole bored in it to hang it from a lag bolt.

Another nifty hanger is an old cane handle. Cut the hook of the handle so that you have a length of the shaft long enough to put a couple of screws through so it can be screwed to a wall. When I was a kid, somewhere my Dad found a source for hickory cane handles that came the way I describe. We used them in the farm shop to hang extension cords, ropes, air hose, etc. from. Today, there are man more different types of hangers available from places like Menards, Home Depot, etc. that are fairly inexpensive.

I must be cheap, we have a harbor freight intown, they sell a hose hanger under 5 bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have three air compressors, each in a different building.

I found that a wall mount garden hose rack is the best,, it keeps air hoses from getting kinks.

They came from Walmart,,

After wanting one for years, I broke down and bought the 50 ft. hose and reel kit from Harbor Freight. LOVE it! It's so handy to just reach up and grab the hose, take it where I need it, then let it roll the hose back up. Very glad I bought it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...eel-93897.html

Needing quite a few hangers like you want...I split some posts on my table saw and cut them at the proper 'up mounting angle' on the chop saw, drilled them for some 3 1/2" deck screws and use them to hang heavy extension cords and a few air lines not in use in the shop, this is out in my barn...

I know...not very good pictures but you can get the idea & it was cheap...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    After wanting one for years, I broke down and bought the 50 ft. hose and reel kit from Harbor Freight. LOVE it! It's so handy to just reach up and grab the hose, take it where I need it, then let it roll the hose back up. Very glad I bought it.

I installed one in the garage and love it. Had it for 15 years and it beats fighting with hoses
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If you can find a old car wheel/tire (with Bead still in contact with Wheel), you can make one for free.

I cut one up like this webpage shows for a Planter
    https://southernpinning.com/recycled...anter-project/

But I use the planter as a hose caddy, similar to this, But I prefer to have the wheel intact, so it sits higher off the ground...but either way would work.
    https://www.rootsimple.com/2008/12/a...re-hose-caddy/
    OMG, when I posted this, I thought you wanted it for a garden (water) hose, LOL.
    This surely isn't the best suggestion for a compressed air hose, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I like these and use them for all the air drops in my shop, $12 at Home Depot.

Boolit Master
    weve always used car/truck wheels or liter golf cart wheels if not using a 100ft of hose

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    ron dog - I agree with you on the hose reels. I wanted an air compressor set up in my garage here in AZ. I had a friend who was buying a large vertical compressor so I bought his old compressor. ordered a hose reel of from Amazon as well as an in-line regulator and love it. Mine is a 50 foot - easy to pull out and retract - takes up very little space on the upper wall.

What used to frustrate me was years ago, when I was out on a job, finding a way to keep my air hose from getting all jumbled up in the truck. I had a pancake compressor that was handy to take into a house or building to use with my finish nailer. I normally had a 50' hose and I would loop it and use three or four pieces of bindertwine to tie it together to keep it organized in the back of the truck. Always thought if a guy could come p with a wy to keep an air hose neat and together in a roll for transport, he could sell them like hotcakes.

Boolit Master
    5 gallon bucket with a piece of plywood cut to fit in the bottom. A couple long drywall screws through the plywood and bottom of the bucket into a stud in the wall. Coil your air hose over the bucket. Place all your tire gauges, blow guns and other hose fittings in the bucket.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post

I got this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/100-ft...eel-63861.html, it holds 100' of hose and so far, has not leaked. The only "issue" is you have to be careful to make sure you reel it in straight, or it will go over one of the ears and bind up. But it has been up for at least 5 years, with no leaks. The only problem is that I failed to keep the bolt tightened on the handle and it fell off, but once I get around to crawling under my tool chest I can retrieve the bolt. I have a temp bolt in there in the meantime. Not bad for $16, with 20% off coupon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63861_I.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	273397
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast