Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 80% AR lower

Boolit Master

80% AR lower

Thinking of getting an 80% AR lower. Those of you that have purchased one, which company would you recommend? Other than a drill press and a router, I have no other equipment, but do have plenty experience since I worked as a machinist for almost 10 years. Thanks for your assistance

Better hurry! Based on another thread posted recently BATFE is beginning to look at 80% stuff with a jaundiced eye, and the (possibly) incoming Administration is going to make war on them. There's lots of sources for purchase including Midway and Brownell's. I've never acquired or made one, but have read a great deal about them, and it seems that the main thing to consider is the jig. Some work better than others, some can be reused a couple of times, some many times. Wherever you decide to buy, you might inquire if they keep records of whom they sell them to........

Boolit Master

5d tactical is about the best out there and you will pay for it. in order to make it cost effective you really need to do a bunch or just be rich and not care.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

$48.00 for a blem isn't bad at all for a forged lower.

I have used 80% Arms and Anderson brand lowers and both brands worked fine. The 80% jig ( gen 2) works very well. It seems to be hard to find an 80% lower nowadays.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I had started to buy into the 80% game but it is apparent to me that ChinaJoe Bi Deng will be elected(?) president and I think that the ghost guns will be the first to go, probably by executive order.
    Gun control is not about guns.

When the 80% lowers got to be as much as a finished one (private party sale - rare but doable) I didn't see the point, especially since I do not yet own a drill press or a router.

Boolit Master

I have a mill and I'm still reluctant to do an 80%'r for NOW a new host of reasons.
    BTW; is the NRA still an organization? Haven't heard one single word about the raid of Polymer 80.
    Last edited by sparky45; 12-20-2020 at 12:02 PM.

I still have some unmilled lowers left, planning on going fishing later today, perhaps the boat will capsize?

I did a couple last winter just for fun. Aluminum no name lowers, using this jig:
    https://www.80percentarms.com/produc...-80-ar-15-jig/

If you're a machinist, you'll have no trouble doing this on a drill press with a decent vise. I used my ancient Craftsman (1940's vintage) which I have an old treadmill motor on so I can slow it way, way down. An XY vise would have been better.

I agree it doesn't make economic sense. But if we want to save money we can sell our guns and stop shooting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Better hurry! Based on another thread posted recently BATFE is beginning to look at 80% stuff with a jaundiced eye, and the (possibly) incoming Administration is going to make war on them. There's lots of sources for purchase including Midway and Brownell's. I've never acquired or made one, but have read a great deal about them, and it seems that the main thing to consider is the jig. Some work better than others, some can be reused a couple of times, some many times. Wherever you decide to buy, you might inquire if they keep records of whom they sell them to........
    At least up until this point, is there any responsibility for purchasers to maintain records when disposing of their paperweights?