Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot plate recommendations

Hot plate recommendations

I have a 20 pound Lee pot for casting. But I also have a 10 pound cast-iron pot. I previously purchased a cheap Walmart electric hot plate, but it was not hot enough. Does anyone have any recommendation or link to an electric hot plate which would get up to about 750°F within a reasonable time? I tried the single burner Coleman camp stove (backpacker model) and it did not generate enough heat either. Thanks.

Hot plate recommendations

For the BTUs you’ll need you’re better off getting a small fish cooker stand I’d think. Surprised the Coleman didn’t do it, though slowly, as it should be 10,000 BTU’s.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 12-13-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Think you will have some trouble finding a plug in hot plate to meet your needs. I tried the hot plate once, with your results. I ended up using my MSR camp stove to finish up but it took a while after even with the long pre-heat on the hot plate. The 10lb pots are a bit had to work with otherwise.

I went the turkey fryer/Dutch oven route to make things easier, both of which i happened to have on hand

Boolit Grand Master

Hot Plates are best for heating molds.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Think you will have some trouble finding a plug in hot plate to meet your needs. I tried the hot plate once, with your results.
    Thanks. I was just hoping for a simple “plug-N-play” solution. It may not exist.
    I have a couple iso camp stoves and canisters. But lead is lead. Nope. The Coleman, white gas, was a pawn shop find and not for food.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 12-13-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Banned
    They make them but most are 220 volts and start around $750

Yeah, I just use the hotplate for preheating molds.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    your heat must be goin g somewhere or not turning Coleman up all the way. ive used Coleman single burner dual fuel camping stove , model 533, 10500btu, with 3 qt cast iron pot to melt down wheel weights quite a few times. I only use non ethanol high octane gas if that might make a difference and because of the weight and the way the burner is right on top of fuel tank I usually run at about 1/2 full and use the cast iron lid to get it all melted. might try cutting a big coffee can as a wind guard to keep heat from getting blown away.. with that setup have to keep pumping up the tank as it pressure goes down.
    have not used it in a while as I have a two burner Coleman with propane adapter and a couple turkey cooker style propane burners

Boolit Master
    I have cast off a liquid fuel Coleman stove a lot before I bought my first electric pot . I used the little 10lb Lyman cast iron pot and ladle kit.

Boolit Master

Heck first time I used my current hotplate, I put some one pound ingots on it to warm up while I started casting. The lead started to melt.
    My HOT Plate gets plenty hot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I started casting on a Coleman white gas stove.
    If it won`t get hot enough there is something wrong.
    I use my hot plate to pre heat my molds.
    My last one would get hot enough o melt a lead ingot lying on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Open the hotplate and file the stop on the temp control - rotate past max to the W in "low" and that is about the right temp (for the open coil unit)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I have a 20 pound Lee pot for casting. But I also have a 10 pound cast-iron pot. I previously purchased a cheap Walmart electric hot plate, but it was not hot enough. Does anyone have any recommendation or link to an electric hot plate which would get up to about 750°F within a reasonable time? I tried the single burner Coleman camp stove (backpacker model) and it did not generate enough heat either. Thanks.
    An 8" diameter cast iron skillet works quite well on my electric hotplate. I tried using a 12" cast iron skillet, but that skillet would not get hot enough to melt the lead. I seriously doubt there is an electric hotplate that will ever get hot enough to melt lead in a 10 pound cast iron pot. I pre heat my molds by placing them on top of my Lee 10 pound pot. When the lead is ready to go, so is the mold.
    Last edited by Froogal; 12-14-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Use a hotplate for pre-heating molds and feed ingots.......NOT for casting Pb! Use your Lee pots for that.

A plate that gets to 750+ F costs a ton of money. They are LABORATORY quality items and not for heating a pot of coffee! You will not find them at Walmart! The one I have was over $600 when new. I bought it used, but it will get of over 850F in a few minutes. And melt lead in a small CI pot. I never do it though. That is what my 10# LEE casting melter is for.

Most store bought hot plates run about 900 watts. Some go as high as 1100 watts but cost a bit more. I have a 900 watt hot plate that has a solid surface for heating, no open col. I opened it up and bent the stop tab so i could turn it up higher than it was designed to run. It can melt lead but is slow. I used a 2 QT stainless steel pot. It should do ok with a 10 lb pot. Might want to build a heat shield arond the burner and pot to keep the heat on the pot.
    I don't melt lead on it. I use it to preheat molds To preheat ingots I set a couple on the edge of my casting pot.
    Leo

If 220v is available find yourself an old electric range top . Ive been using mine for a good many years now
    I made a low profile base and attached a suitable power cord to run to the closest outlet . Melts a pot of alloy fairly quick on the smaller coils and smelt with a Dutch oven on the large coil . Mines the 70's classic avacado green color with the original push button temp controls not real precise I've made a pile of bullets with it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Heck first time I used my current hotplate, I put some one pound ingots on it to warm up while I started casting. The lead started to melt.
    My HOT Plate gets plenty hot.
    Been there experinced the same ,was surprised a cheap Ebuy single hot plate would do it.

Boolit Master
    ggl. corning PC-35. they will come up on e-bay. they are lab hot plates with a ceramic top. there a bunch of used ones. prices vary from $50.00 to $100.00 +. they cost many hundreds when new. mine goes to 925 degrees. my guess is that many labs went to digital; that's why so many out there. mine is the 2nd one i bought. i didn't use the first one for a few months. when it wouldn't get very hot ; i saw that it is 220v. so i got mad and bought another @ 110v. they are advertiised with the voltage. i guess that i didn't pay attention. on that note;anyone know if the 220 can be bonverted to 110?

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    ggl. corning PC-35. they will come up on e-bay. they are lab hot plates with a ceramic top. there a bunch of used ones. prices vary from $50.00 to $100.00 +. they cost many hundreds when new. mine goes to 925 degrees. my guess is that many labs went to digital; that's why so many out there. mine is the 2nd one i bought.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve ordered one of these. I’ll keep you posted. I’m not against a turkey fryer, but I’m just trying to heat a 10 pound cast-iron pot to melt range scrap. I cast about 100 bullets at a time, and I reload about 100 cartridges in a session. I have a different pot for casting. This one is mostly just to make replacement ingots.

220 can be converted to 110? Nope but your house power IS 220 so a receptical can be made to work.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast