Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Dakota relocate input?

Better get rid of those Komifornia plates right quick in a hurry

Moderator Emeritus

Depending on what you want... Black Hills is more expensive property wise, lot more hunting opportunities, some trout fishing, can gold pan in a few areas... warmer in winter due to a geographical freak area...

Pierre puts you by Lake Oahe and some of the best walleye fishing in the USA... also have p-dogs, pheasants, mule and whitetail deer, coyotes... and a lot of wind! And COLD in winter.

Watertown has shopping so anywhere west of there, puts you on that string of lakes on the west side of Buffalo Ridge so fishing(multi species), pheasant hunting is decent(my family used to spend a week in that area hunting them), winters are windy and cold, deer hunting is decent along the creeks and old farm groves...

I have debated getting out of MN the way things are going... this place is turning commie...

I was so impressed with South Dakota when I was there in 2007 for the Sturgis rally. Spearfish canyon and all of the Black Hills country is beautiful. So many historical spots to see and states politics agree with my Idaho upbringing. If it weren't for the blessing of living in Idaho, South Dakota would be a spot I'd consider. Gp

Boolit Master
    If you move there get rid of the plates before you show up trust me I know. I live just north of the Black hills.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    My thinking has been than wintering in Spearfish or Custer wold be softer than Sheridan , Wy....How say those with real knowledge re:this ?
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy

I grew up in Custer. We had snowmobiles but most of the winters had to trailer them to WY or the northern hills to have enough snow to ride them.
    Southern Hills are definitely milder winters than Sheridan WY
    Greg

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Virginia is a communist state, South Dakota is not. That right there would be the biggest difference.
    Bingo! Reason why I went a lil further to West Virginia four years ago. I saw it coming and it stunk. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

The odd thing about the Dakota's is how big their towns are in proportion to the population. Do not discount towns that seem tiny. The earlier mentioned town of Britton is only a population of 1,334, however, it is as big, if not bigger than my current town in MN of about 3,400. Webster, SD is another rather large town, with a small population of only 1,762. I have no idea why this discrepancy, but it seems unique to SD and ND. I've given some hard thought into South Dakota myself. I really like the area anywhere from Watertown to Hecla (Sand Lake Refuge) to Lake City. Webster is a nice town in the middle. While I would consider work in Aberdeen, that is way to large a city to live anywhere near for me. I came really close to applying for a mortgage on a house west of the Sand Lake Refuge this year. One day I might finally do it. I really think Alaska is the best state in the USA, but South Dakota is a close second. Minnesota is such a great land, with total morons running it. It's a shame, and MN has forest, public land, lakes, rivers, etc. like almost no other state in the nation short of Alaska.

^ Agree. Some of that country in the NE corner of SD is every bit as nice as big chunks of minnesota, but with fewer people, less hunting and fishing pressure.

We considered moving out of Fargo but who would pack all the stuff up? Would take an 18 wheeler or two to empty this house.

My wife just lost her dad in Brooking's to a combination of Parkinson's and Covid. It was a blessing, he's in a better place now.
    Cindy's mom is still in Brooking's in an assisted living center. She is terrified to go out. And she is almost blind from macacular
    degeneration. Its only 180 miles from us to her but at this stage we hate to go until, unless we have to.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12