RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota relocate input?

Boolit Buddy

South Dakota relocate input?

Looking to retire in the next 2 yrs. Need good elementary school and rural setting within half hour of shopping.

Would appreciate your input.

Banned

South Dakota relocate inpit?

Florida Man recommends finding a house within walking distance to a coat factory.

Well my wife is from Brookings so I am little biased.

Souix Falls is your biggest shopping area for that part of the state.

But if your a sportsman I would be looking more up towards Watertown.
    Lower population density, lots of great fishing lakes, good waterfowl and deer hunting area. And it is possible to find Pheasants in them thair hills.

Britten SD is a very nice small town about 90 miles from Watertown.
    Lake Norden is at your 30 mile range. Looks like 5 or 6 fishable lakes within a couple of miles.

Comes down to how much shopping you need.

Half hour from Souix Falls does not really get you out of the bigger city mindset.
    Half hour from Watertown has you out in the country.
    Water town has a mall with the usual Herberger's, JC Penney, and Dunham's Sports, we offer an excellent variety of nationally know merchants as well as many specialty stores and boutiques. Plus a large variety of places to eat.

Brookings is a small collage town some 50 minutes north of SF. With a most nice quiet small town feel to it.
    But it has a Walmart and a good variety of shopping.

I guess it depends what you are really looking for.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    If shopping is a big concern South Dakota may not be the best choice.

Boolit Buddy
    AND,, expect shopping to have MAJOR changes over the next 18 to 24 months,,
    I live in Roanoke VA,, Roanoke has a very large (for the region) shopping mall

When we holiday shopped this mall 5 to 10 years ago,, it was amazing to see the license plates from out of state.
    there would be plates from North Carolina, West Virginia,, cars with county tags from 70 to 100 miles west of here.

The shoppers would even spend the night at the hotels, making a weekend of it,,

Now, the holiday shopping should be in full swing, there is no increase in traffic at the mall.
    About a week or so ago, the big mall announced it is going bankrupt,,

I am sure South Dakota will see the same closures as we are seeing in Virginia.

What you will see as shopping in South Dakota today,, will become shipping facilities for Amazon in the near future.
    The good thing is, when this change occurs, on-line shopping will even be easier.

Banned

Last year, a job doing what I do opened in Rapid City. If I didn't own two houses and have 25 years built up here along with a pretty good situation and moving being such a night mare, I'd be there now. I love the Black Hills of S.D., and I even think I could handle the Winters now. Lots of National Forest property nearby, decenyt sized city, beautiful country, no state income tax, conservative values on most things. Go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    What randomly calls you to South Dakota??

I just looked, the temp in Sioux Falls is 20 degrees F

Here in Roanoke VA, it is currently 58 degrees, and yesterday, we played outside ALL afternoon,
    with our four grandchildren , it was 68 degrees.

from where I live, down to the NC/SC border, is the best retirement living on the east coast.
    This is not just my opinion, it is repeatedly reported by articles on retirement.

You want shopping, schools, medical, and nice living?
    move 30 minutes south of the Piedmont Triad or the Research Triangle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

Either location would offer the best retirement living in the USA,, IMHO,,

Oklahoma City area centralized nice climate excellent gun laws friendly people
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    What randomly calls you to South Dakota??

I just looked, the temp in Sioux Falls is 20 degrees F

Here in Roanoke VA, it is currently 58 degrees, and yesterday, we played outside ALL afternoon,
    with our four grandchildren , it was 68 degrees.

from where I live, down to the NC/SC border, is the best retirement living on the east coast.
    This is not just my opinion, it is repeatedly reported by articles on retirement.

You want shopping, schools, medical, and nice living?
    move 30 minutes south of the Piedmont Triad or the Research Triangle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

Either location would offer the best retirement living in the USA,, IMHO,,
    Virginia is a communist state, South Dakota is not. That right there would be the biggest difference.

Boolit Master

My brother lived in boxelder he really loved it there
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

The lack of a state income tax is a big plus. The low population density and solid and sane people is another. I think you could do much, much worse for a retirement state.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't live there but have been all over it driving a semi and growing up in the far NE cold weather doesn't bother us. Just yesterday the wife said "getting kinda crowded here in NC, might be time to move" and SD was high on the list. For us, finding out where people don't want to go and going there is a big plus. Everyone want's into NC and the SE in general, Florida, Texas etc. It's getting harder and harder to find the small corners where you can be left alone.

Hey, it's got The Corn Palace and Wall Drugs so what else could you want?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

South Dakota relocate inpit?

Nailed it on the head, jonp! My sentiment exactly, and I have lived in and loved Florida for the last 47 years of my life. I don’t want to leave but I value solitude and freedom of movement over large population densities and climate. Tax-free states are where it’s at. I bet Florida will institute a state tax within 20 years, if not sooner.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Don't live there but have been all over it driving a semi and growing up in the far NE cold weather doesn't bother us. Just yesterday the wife said "getting kinda crowded here in NC, might be time to move" and SD was high on the list. For us, finding out where people don't want to go and going there is a big plus. Everyone want's into NC and the SE in general, Florida, Texas etc. It's getting harder and harder to find the small corners where you can be left alone.

Hey, it's got The Corn Palace and Wall Drugs so what else could you want?
    Yep, good old "fly over country", that myth keeps a lot of the undesirable riff raff out.

Had to spend a little over a week in N.C. getting my oldest son's life back on track a couple of years ago, couldn't get out of that place fast enough, and I grew up in S.C.

Banned
    Yep, the east side of the Mississippi River is getting wayyy too crowded, and will only get worse as the decades roll by.

Boolit Master
    I retired from Alaska to Montana four years ago. Eureka is a small town of about 1200 people. Shopping for anything but groceries and hardware is limited and the next town of size is Kalispell (25,000 pop) an hour south. Very conservative area with a Mayberry USA atmosphere. There is a state income tax but no sales tax and property tax is reasonable. No building codes where we live and very few regulations on what you can do on your own land. I have a shooting range in my side yard and two of my neighbors do as well. Deer and turkeys are thick here and two nights ago 5 or 6 elk passed through the front yard. We have all four seasons here and lots of lakes and rivers for fishing. Not a lot of action in Eureka if your used to big city life but that's why we moved here. Not a lot of crime either and if it wasn't for TV, I wouldn't know what BLM or Antifa was. Just one thing is you need to bring your income with you as good paying jobs are few but that makes the cost of living fairly low.

Boolit Master
    Nice, retired with elementary aged children (hope that is why you want top be close to a school), seems odd, you must have done well in your occupation, got tied-up with a young gal late in life, raising grand kids, guess it could be many things. What kind of "shopping" are you looking for? Ladies undergarmets, shooting related, groceries?? Rural setting SD, won't been much shopping...google and see what towns have a Walmart. Cell coverage/internet and you have shopping. Guessing you must be a sportman, is why SD....prairie dogs and pheasants should be enough, forget shopping for must have. If you are bring a woman, better vacation in the areas you are consider prior to the move..SD is a world away from Cali...and then there is winter....plan a week get away in January/Febuary to get a taste of that. Good luck.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

rbuck351,
    Now ya did it, tell the whole world why don't ya

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    For my $,Spearfish or Custer would be in the top five for retirement places,(top two in the Dakota's though. )
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Expect the population to sextuple during the end of July 'til mid Augaust if you are near Rapid City/Sturgis/Spearfish.
    Spearfish is about 7000' and is gets cold.

I'd look to the middle of the state like Mitchell or Yankton. The further east you go the more it gets like Minneapolis/Chicago. Limited land on the west due to large Reservations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast