Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 mauser in 30-30 win

Boolit Master

And here I am with a .308 bull barrel and a spare Lee Enfield #4 action that has been looking for a gunsmith to thread the barrel and cut a chamber for 30-30 for almost 2 years.

Magazine and bolt are already setup for a rimmed cartridge and the bullet feeds smoothly into the currently chambered 303 British barrel.

Does anyone want to do a little `smithing for me and do a thread and chamber?

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

there has been some mausers done in 45/70 why would this be any different

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    there has been some mausers done in 45/70 why would this be any different
    Because those conversions were done on Siamese M98s which had magazines and feed rails made for a rimmed cartridge.

Attachment 273267

Attachment 273266
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The 30-30 compared to the (left to right) 308 CBS, 308W and 30-06.

Attachment 273268
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I haven't heard or seen a 98 in.30/30 but a former co-worker had one in .32 Winchester Special he bought at a pawnshop.
    It came with double set triggers, and a beautiful stock.
    I wonder where that ended up as he was a notorious gun trader.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I missed the convert-to-rimless bit.
    Reducing the rim to .473" merely creates a semi rimmed case dimensionally the same as the .225 Winchester.

how about useing a 30-40 krag action?

Mr Gibson, is your 308 CBS much different than a 300 Savage?
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it has a 30-30 length neck, on the 308 case.

I gotta ask........why oh why don’t you just chamber for good old .308W? Any cartridge can be downloaded. 7.62X51 nato and the 98 action almost seem made for each other. Boringly easy. I put a new in the white surplus Israel 7.62 nato barrel on my inherited 1925 Gew rifle that was already sporterized on. 308W is a heck of a cast bullet cartridge as well. Ok, I am done.

Well, sometimes the .308 just doesn't feed well from a 98 Mauser magazine. I'm sure the receiver's feed lips can be machined to allow it if you know what you are doing. I have a commercial FN .308 that chokes on the cartridge, but feeds 7x57 or 30-06 just as smooth as silk. I've been told an 03 Springfield feeds the .308 better than a Mauser.

I have a 219 Donaldson Wasp which uses reformed 30-30 brass on a 98 action. I turn the rims down to .473, feed thru the mag. No problems.
    Phil

Boolit Master

My Original Haenel Mauser came to me in 8.16x46R, then 220 Swift, then 22-250, then 6mm
    I did change the 8.15 bolt for the .473 cases.
    All was well
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Mr Gibson, is your 308 CBS much different than a 300 Savage?
    Other than the 30-30/30-06 length neck, not really case capacity wise.

The concept was an amalgamation of all the "theories" the major gun writers had on what makes the best cast bullet cartridge. The concept was to have a rimless cartridge with 100% load density using 4895 to drive the 311284 at 30-40 Gvm't velocity. The longer neck would keep the lube grooves inside the neck with the GC seated to the base of the neck. The 2 groove barrel, according to all the experts, was best for that bullet....... As I mentioned, it just didn't work out because I, nor the experts at the time, didn't understand the adverse effect of RPM (RPM Threshold). The experts all held cast bullet inaccuracy above a certain pressure/velocity level was caused because the bullets "stripped" in the rifling.

The 2 groove '03A3 barrel was supposed to better grip the bullets because of the wider lands. Turned out the 308 CBC in the 2 groove barrel shot no better than 4groove and other 2 groove barrels on M1903A3s still in 30-06. Accuracy was very good with all of them when velocity was kept under 1950 fps. Above that inaccuracy with any cast bullet had nothing to do with the number of grooves or the case volume. The inaccuracy above 1950 fps was simply caused by the cast bullets exceeding the RPM Threshold at around 1950 fps as many a cast bullet shooter with 10" twist barrels have found out.

Still, was a good use of a 2 groove '03A3 barrel and a M93 action. However, were I to do it again I would have just chambered it in 30x57 and avoided all the feed problems.......we live and learn.......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    You might look at getting a Siamese Mauser trigger housing and using that, since it is designed for a rimmed cartridge. If you go that route, IIRC, you would need a Yugo action to fit the screw spacing of the Siamese trigger housing. Of course, you could do the same thing with the .303 British, which is what Rigby did.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a turk mauser that I have converted to 7.62 X 39, it feeds OK had to block the mag because of the difference in cart. length. feeds OK but not smooth. I also have a Turk that the barrel was religned and chambered in 22 Hornet, single shot only. Shoots good but is a pain to load, still working on that.
    BD

On the newest of the old 30-30 Mauser Threads, just use a Savage 340 Magazine.
    I am sure that you could make it fit.
    Rework the bolt face.
    Then add an extension on the ejector.
    Is there anything else?

Boolit Grand Master

I have thought about building a 300 Savage on a Mauser action. I checked the '91, '93, 95, 96 and 98 actions and they all fed it from the magazine with no problems. The '91 seemed to be the smoothest feeding and is also the shortest action and the magazine is single stack. With the coating on the bullets the shorter neck isn't a real big concern.