Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: How about a 22LR mold?

How about a 22LR mold?

It seems there is some interest in loading/reloading the "lowly" 22LR. One of the showstoppers is a lack of good options for projectiles.

Would there be enough interest in such a thing to entice one of the quality mold makers here to do a run? I'd be looking for a 30 to 40 grain, round nose, heeled design. If we don't do a HP version it sidesteps the problem MP is having getting pins.

I have no idea how such a thing wold be designed and implemented. Hopefully someone with the know how will latch on to this idea.

If anyone knows of a design already available, point me at it. I've seen where Old West was supposed to have one but can't find it. All their stuff is rather pricey anyway compared to molds from MP, NOE and others.

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Buddy
    I was just reading thru this last night http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...46-22-lr-bpcr-!!

Might give you some ideas.

Noe did one back in days....Dunno if measurements are changed. But when it was on GB discussion area it was meant to be .22lr mold
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...1-3-cavity-hb/

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    Noe did one back in days....Dunno if measurements are changed. But when it was on GB discussion area it was meant to be .22lr mold
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...1-3-cavity-hb/
    Well, that's perfect for me. Out of stock but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thank you, Teemu. No need to re-invent the wheel if it's already out there.

You're welcome. But.. No matter if MP do own version....Never got too many molds.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The 22LR mold that John Kort and had David Mos make is a clone of the 45gr UMC Target Match bullet which has a fat ogive. The bullet chambers perfectly in the old single shots but not in current lever actions. Henry Firearms graciously re-engineered my Golden Boy that would chamber properly and not shave to ogive. David is currently back in the mold making but presently only for 25 caliber bullets. Am sure he still has the 22LR cherry if one wants to contact him for this mold

Old West make a 22LR mold and the kit for on the Internet has a 40gr mold also. Lyman makes a 225438 mold that is out of stock ... there are mold options including NOE's 35gr mold which is for a 22 Short but that is also sold off
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The 22LR mold that John Kort and had David Mos make is a clone of the 45gr UMC Target Match bullet which has a fat ogive. The bullet chambers perfectly in the old single shots but not in current lever actions. Henry Firearms graciously re-engineered my Golden Boy that would chamber properly and not shave to ogive. David is currently back in the mold making but presently only for 25 caliber bullets. Am sure he still has the 22LR cherry if one wants to contact him for this mold

Old West make a 22LR mold and the kit for on the Internet has a 40gr mold also. Lyman makes a 225438 mold that is out of stock ... there are mold options
    The one from 22LRReloader will be my fallback position. A single cavity doesn't excite me. Someone mentioned a mold by NOE that would work. Also out of stock but I emailed them to inquire about availability. We'll see if I get a response.

The Mos mold sounds like it might be finicky due to size but who knows. The only reference to him I could find was a facebook link and I don't fb.

It's a back burner project so no giant rush. I see one member here makes his own swaging gear but it doesn't look like he sells it.

My order for primed cases is in the works. I'm waiting for a shipping notice.

Boolit Bub
    I would be interested in 1. I put in a comment on NOE's want to run section. Old West has a 2 cavity for 135.00. I would much prefer a 4,5,or 6 cavity aluminum mould.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeatl View Post
    I would be interested in 1. I put in a comment on NOE's want to run section. Old West has a 2 cavity for 135.00. I would much prefer a 4,5,or 6 cavity aluminum mould.
    I've seen the out-of-stock NOE mold, the one from 22lrreloader that's a 38 and 25 grain mold (so basically a single cavity for me) and the $135 mold from Old West. If I'm going to spend $75 for the 22lrreloader mold, I might as well spend the $135 with Old West. The NOE mold would be my preference.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You got the boolit mold thing figured out. OK......now.......how are you gonna re-prime all that spent 22LR rim fire brass? I have read articles of how guys have mixed up some "witch's brew" paste for re-priming, but the work involved is totally too laborious for those little thing.

I have over 10K rounds of 22LR in storage. When/if those are ever depleted and the prices are still high, I will just switch to my center-fire guns I load for plinking......hoping by then primers will be in abundance!

Good luck on your quest for the perfect 22LR slug mold.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You got the boolit mold thing figured out. OK......now.......how are you gonna re-prime all that spent 22LR rim fire brass? I have read articles of how guys have mixed up some "witch's brew" paste for re-priming, but the work involved is totally too laborious for those little thing.

I have over 10K rounds of 22LR in storage. When/if those are ever depleted and the prices are still high, I will just switch to my center-fire guns I load for plinking......hoping by then primers will be in abundance!

Good luck on your quest for the perfect 22LR slug mold.

banger
    Yeah, I've got enough 22LR to last me for a long time, too. I'm really gearing up for "just in case" plus it's kind of an interesting project on it's own. Powder Coated 22LR in a variety of colors might be fun. Furthermore, the crimp on factory 22 is pathetic. Usually we say that a firm crimp aids in consistent ignition. Factory 22LR does not have either a firm or consistent crimp. I think we can do better, which makes it worthwhile on it's own merits.

The priming compound is here:
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...iming-compound

A video of the process is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smtr...ature=emb_logo

I'm also in possession of 2,000 primed new cases:
    https://fedarm.com/product/22lr-prim...-2000-ct-pack/

I've used the PrimeAll above and remade a few Small Pistol Primers that all worked fine. I think the PrimeAll is a mixture known as Frankford Arsenal H-48 and a person could assemble the ingredients pretty cheaply. That said, it IS corrosive.

Indeed, it is a tedious process, both the 22LR and remaking spent primers (can I call them "re-buildable cores"?). And certainly not cost effective in comparison to what we were paying 6 months ago. But, 6 months ago may not come back and if I NEED to shoot, I have a pretty good program to do that. A person can make black powder. There's a thread about it somewhere on this forum.

So, that's a summary of what I'm up to with this.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sounds really good!

banger

How about this mold for 22lr?

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Prod.../11228295?fs=1

It seems to be in stock. The gas check shank is .211 while the one not-in-stock they designed for 22lr shows a .199 shank.

EDIT: My case mouths are .205 so this one is a no go.
    Last edited by AlHunt; 01-01-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    AlHunt, a no go, the mold is for a 22 Hornet, larger diameter

And reference, David Mos, he is only cutting molds now for 25’s ...
    The Old West 22lr mold is quality
    Regards
    John