Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing boolits for .308 Winchester?

Sizing boolits for .308 Winchester?

I have two molds, the Lee 160gr .312 and a nice NOE 129gr .314. I have been using them for 7.62x39mm for some time and am wondering how well they might work in .308? What size is best - I saw one gent sized his to .311, which would let me use the same sizer I use for 7.62x39mm, or do I need a .309 sizer? Favorite powder/loads?
    Just kicking it around - would most likely be used in a bolt action rifle. Thoughts?

Boolit Master

It depends on the diameter of the throat in your rifle. I have several 308 chambered rifles and .3095" seems to work very well in them. Most, if not all of them, won't take a .310" bullet.
    I hope this helps,
    Rick

All depends on the throat . As rick said if it's a commercial chamber 309-310, Military chamber you'd be surprised how they vary . Had some surplus bolt actions in 7.62 I used that Lee bullet unsized at 314
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    0.311" is my go to size for most .30 caliber rifles. I have never had to go smaller, yet.

Robert

I don't have the rifle - coming from a buddy who's going to let me use it as a test bed. I know it's accurate and has been shot extensively. Yes, he trusts me with it to test cast bullet loads in it...very trusting or complete lunatic.
    I read on another forum about 10 grains of Unique? Odd load = think that would be effective for a cat sneeze with a .314 boolit at 100 yards or so?

I size to .309 for my Win. .30-30, M1A, and Rem700 .30-06 and that has that done well for me for 1,800-2,000-ish fps loads.

For .30, I've got a Iron mold 170RN and 190 Sil. SP that I cast pretty hard. Mostly WW, some shot, with a bump of 95/5 for good measure.
    I run them just on the frosted side and use Lyman's Orange Magic & a Hornady GC.

Next time I sit down for loading .30 cast, I'm going to get off into Red Dot.
    I've heard good things about its variation for .308 with 'the load'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-12-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

10 grains of Unique would be a pretty good place to start as would 16 grains of 2400. Don't under estimate the power and utility of these loads. If you start out trying to get jacketed velocities or anywhere near you will probably find yourself very disappointed.
    Good Luck, and let us know how it works,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I'd use the Lee bullet, but, you may have to nose size it to fit in the bore. I use a .309 body size die in my .308. Measure your bore to see what you need to size to. You can go a little over and be fine depending on the condition of the throat of your rifle.

Just curious, what is the dia of the nose section of those Lee bullets?

Loads, just about anything you want, from subsonic to near jacketed velocities. The best accuracy in mine is in the 1600-2000fps range. 2400 is a good choice for medium power loads. CE Harris likes 16gn for target use and a bit more for longer ranges or hunting.

Lyman cast bullet handbook has a range of powders and loads. Almost any pistol powder can be used as a light load. I use the .30-30 data shown here:
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master
    I start with .310 in my .30 calibers, at least four 308 Savage 99's, a couple .300 Savage 99's, a couple .303 Savages and a couple Marlin 30-30's. Also works in my CMP M1 Garand and Sears FN Mauser 30-06. I have tried .311 in the Marlin's, but little difference from .310's, tried .309 in the others, but .310 just a little better. No issues with tight chambering, even with LC 308 brass or very old RA and other '06 military brass. All are gas checked in 1500-1800 fps range, most 1.5 MOA-2MOA except Garand - it needs a tighter stock, runs 4-5MOA with everything. I use 15-16grs 5744, 20-25grs RL7 or 15-17 grs 4227 in 308 depending on bullet, most in the 170 to 190 grain range. I would start with the Lee boolit sized down.

Right now I just have the one sizer for .311, but that could change.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I'd use the Lee bullet, but, you may have to nose size it to fit in the bore. I use a .309 body size die in my .308. Measure your bore to see what you need to size to. You can go a little over and be fine depending on the condition of the throat of your rifle.

Just curious, what is the dia of the nose section of those Lee bullets?
    No idea, don't know how to measure that one.

What is nose sizing? Never heard of that.

Boolit Master
    I second the vote for .310 boolits to start. If your molds are not gas checked designs you will want to use a harder alloy, perhaps bhn 15. I shoot gas checked boolits out of my .308 with 17 grains of 2400 and they work very well. That 10 grains of Unique is a winner too and will get you around 1000 fps. Cast boolits out of rifles are very much worth the effort to dial in.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I would make some dummy cartridges, using those .311 bullets and see if they chamber. If they do, load them. I have yet to have oversized bullets create issues.

I size bullets to .3125 for my AR-10. I only use spitzer shaped bullets for 100% reliable feeding. Tapered noses aren't that big of an issue. My other 308W, is a Model 70, it also accepts .3125 sized bullets of a flat nose design.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    No idea, don't know how to measure that one.

What is nose sizing? Never heard of that.
    If you have calipers measure the bullet dia in front of the drive bands. It should be a smaller dia and might taper a little.

The forward portion of the bullet will go into the rifled part of the barrel. If it is too large then you won't be able to chamber the round. If the nose section is tapered it may just mean that you have to seat the bullet deeper in the case.

Do not load up a bunch of bullets without testing them to see if they will chamber. Make up a couple of dummy rounds and see how deep you have to seat the bullets.

Plus 1 on .311
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I mostly shoot them in 300 bos. I have 3 of them 4 if you count the ruger american. One of the ars and the ruger have tight neck dimentions in the chambers and have problems with even 309 bullets. All run perfect with 308s. i did a test with all 4 guns this summer and group sizes didnt change one bit going from 309 to 308 in any of them. Matter of fact other then the little 7 inch gun that ive never had a scope on the 3 others are scary accurate with cast bullets. Bullet of choice is the 130 rcbs spitzer gas check pc'ed out of about a 18bhn alloy and shake and bake smokes pc. Even if the 309 did do a bit better id got 308 because a gun that you have to fight to get a round in the chamber isnt worth spit and a 1/4 inch differnce in group size isnt even a big factor shooting deer at 300 yards with a deer rifle so why would i worry about it other then bragging factor using cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I have two molds, the Lee 160gr .312 and a nice NOE 129gr .314. I have been using them for 7.62x39mm for some time and am wondering how well they might work in .308? What size is best - I saw one gent sized his to .311, which would let me use the same sizer I use for 7.62x39mm, or do I need a .309 sizer? Favorite powder/loads?
    Just kicking it around - would most likely be used in a bolt action rifle. Thoughts?
    As mentioned the nose may be too large on those bullets to to enter the .300 bore of the rifle. Sizing the drive bands will not correct that problem. Loading a dummy round, as also mentioned, to see if the bullets chamber will give the answer.

Cast noses can be sized in lubrasizers with H dies or with bushings. However, if you don't have those it would be easier and cheaper to just get the similar Lee C309-xxx mould.

Over the years I've found cast bullets sized .311 invariably fit the throats of factory .30 caliber rifles. Occasionally a new rifle may need the bullets sized .310 but that has proven a rare occurrence. My "go to" sizing for .30 caliber cast bullets is .311.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The Lee boolit is fat at the nose - I don't have a current cast one to show off but here is what they look like in 7.62x39mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	273159

The 129 gr is much sharper - the point on the bare boolit is sharp enough to prick yer finger! Old photo before I started powder coating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE loaded.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	273160

As soon as I get 1) brass and 2) dies, I will load up some dummy testers.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee 312-160-2R for my 30-40 and found they work really well sized to .310-.311 the nose of the boolet is about .306 using my calipers and just about .308 at the start of the drive bands. In my R77 .308 it works okay but the .312-155-2R works better. Just my 2 cents. Just try differing seating depths and I'm sure you will find a sweet spot. My Krag has a new Criterion barrel so it's not loosy goosy.

2400 and 4198 work well. Lyman says 9-0 to 13.0 gr of Unique are good too. I'm going to try that out without the GCs.

Boolit Master
    My 30 call’s like .311 . The noe 129 gr sp I thank is short enuf you won’t have a problem with it sticking out to far not to chamber. I never had problems of in not chambering at all even the lee .312 160 2r. I size that to .311 also shoots great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast