MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEC 600 JR crimp starter help

Boolit Buddy

MEC 600 JR crimp starter help

I have an older MEC 600 JR in 16ga and am trying to load some new cheddite hulls. This is my first time using a mec, and first time loading shotshell on any press. The issue I am having is with the crimp. The crimp starter was not putting very pronounced starting crimps. I figure a combination of cold hulls and inexperience are not helping matters. I heated the top of the hull slightly with a heat gun before running through the crimp starter die. This helped quite a bit, but for some reason, it is only putting 7 crimps instead of 8. Any ideas, tips, or pointers would be appreciated. Pics below of a hull with my "custom 7" crimp haha.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Silly question, but the hulls were 8 point crimp originally, yes? Does it immediately try to fold one crimp in from the beginning of the stroke?

Easing the crimp starter, ie, doing it in 2 or 3 strokes a bit more each time can help with stubborn hulls.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Hulls were brand new so no crimp to begin with. Will try to go in slower stages to see if that helps. I had be just pulling the lever applying smooth, steady pressure and holding for a few seconds.

Boolit Master
    Make the die (crimp) turns inside (spins). Do what I call a double stamp (Hamish said the same thing) at this station. If I recall there is also a concave ring or a washer that can be use that may help.

Boolit Master
    Are your hulls skived?

Boolit Buddy
    Tried in multiple passes, still collapses the one crimp. They are skived.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Rt, here's a few tips on shotshells regardless of gauge or in most cases brands. 1. When attaining your hulls IF once fired always crimp with same point count starter crimp. So pick up a 6 an a 8 point crimp insert. 2. On brand new hulls if your buying them always go for the ones that have in the description what is called skived mouths. What this is on hulls is the plastic mouth is thinner in thickness than the rest of the case body. This is very helpful in forming crimps both 6 and 8 point. 3. Unless it is a must all new uncrimped hulls should be done in 6 point crimp. Much easier to accomplish a good crimp from the get go. The only 8 point crimps I do are on once fired trap hulls that we're 8 point originally from the factory. 4. If needed a brass starter crimp can be purchased from BPI (Ballistic Products Inc). I've used them for years and any if you have any questions Eric is very experienced and helpful. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    problem with the hulls they have no orginal crimp lines to follow
    use a different hull and no problem

you will have better luck with these hulls if you do the following

just litely touch the mouth of the hull then look for 8 points to start to form
    if not try again once you see the points start to form then go all the way with handle
    wont fix them all but most will be good

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Rt, here's what BPI has in brass crimpers that are good in starting a crimp in uncrimped new hulls. You can get the 6 and 8 point MEC starter crimp from BPI or MEC but the crimp die will be made out of plastic not metal like the older ones are.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by rtyler8140 View Post
    Hulls were brand new so no crimp to begin with. Will try to go in slower stages to see if that helps. I had be just pulling the lever applying smooth, steady pressure and holding for a few seconds.
    That’s what I figured,,,,,

Gently lowering the stroke multiple times will let it relax into it. Start by just kissing the crimp starter into it and then a bit more and so on. Stop and check it.

There is also this option MOA posted: https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Su.../products/931/
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...!l=HN&i=490500

You will need to mount it to the press with different bolts but
    it is great
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    good ideas above 1 or more will work for you

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll probably just break down and buy the 6pt brass crimp starter from BPI. I wish midway had it in stock. They are shipping a little quicker than BPI right now. Was hoping to crank out a few boxes for my dad for Christmas. I'm in the process of refinishing his Winchester Model 12.

Boolit Buddy
    Double post
    Last edited by rtyler8140; 12-12-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Double post

Boolit Master
    Show us a pic of what your finishing with. There is a cam that needs to be set.

Wad pressure can also effect the crimp. If shot is setting up too high or to low.

The blue shell MOA is showing needs to be set a little better. Should have a nice formed step to it.

Not sure if a card over the load would work. Have to watch changing to load data, make sure your not change anything with out finding data for it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Show us a pic of what your finishing with. There is a cam that needs to be set.

Wad pressure can also effect the crimp. If shot is setting up too high or to low.

The blue shell MOA is showing needs to be set a little better. Should have a nice formed step to it.

Not sure if a card over the load would work. Have to watch changing to load data, make sure your not change anything with out finding data for it.
    Right you are on the crimp teddy. As I was explaining in my post how a new uncrimped hull ...1. needs a 6 point crimp not a 8 point and a sharp crimp starter like those sold by BPI go a long way in starting the crimp memory of a new hull. The images I included were of my first experience with new never crimped hulls and my suggestion on what I did to remedy the issue.

This is how the crimp should look when adjustments are correct. These are also new uncrimped hulls but I'm using a 6 point crimp on them, not an 8 point one.

Another fine crimp on some blue. Uncrimped hulls using the metal sharp edge pre crimp to provide the needed starter crease to give a terrific crimp.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, get the brass starter from BPI. I put one on all My MECs. The original MEC starters do a poor job, presumably because they are not very sharp edged.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Rt, here's what BPI has in brass crimpers that are good in starting a crimp in uncrimped new hulls. You can get the 6 and 8 point MEC starter crimp from BPI or MEC but the crimp die will be made out of plastic not metal like the older ones are.

this ^^^^^

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rtyler8140 View Post

I crimp New Cheddite hulls just fine with the old metal 8 point crimp. First off lower your precrimp die by placing one or two flat washers under it, you precrimp is not deep enough.
    Then on your final crimp die lower the inner crimp stem a little as your overall crimp is way to shallow, just move the inner stem a quarter turn at a time. If you don't have enough room to lower the final crimp without buckling hulls then your stack height is a little to tall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast