Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mora knife

Banned

Mora knife

I ended up losing my Gerber folder which had served as my main field dressing and skinning knife for several years. I liked it, but was looking for other options and was told current Gerbers aren't the same quality levels anymore.

Decided to buy one of these basic Swedish Mora knives, came out to less than $20 shipped from the bay. Had my first opportunity to use it today on a deer. Must say I'm impressed. That blade is just about the exact right size and shape, very sharp and seems strong as all get out. Good handle, well shaped and didn't get slippery.

All in all, I can't see how a guy could beat one of these for a general purpose field knife, especially at that price point. I'm gonna order several more.

Never heard anything negative about them, just good.

DG

I've got about 5 or 6 mora knives around. All of them Are the carbon steel blades don't think I spent over 15 bucks for any of them I know a few were under 10 . They simply can't be beat even if I paid twice the price . I also used my mora companion this year for the first time on my deer .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Mora knives are okay. They lack on style. They shine if a person is prone to losing knives. One in each car kinda mentality. I build a relationship with a good knife, a mora is just a tool.

You can still find a used gerber gator in nice shape on ebay for reasonable. I like those myself.

Boolit Master
    Were 12$ last night, 15$ now but still a good deal on a quality plain functional knife, everybody needs one , or some!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNWD40/?tag=bcusa-20

I love a nice pretty knife, in fact I’ve bought 2 in the last couple months, but a Mora is like a work truck, pretty is as pretty does.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

I can't get into pretty knives, always wonder about all the handmade knives I see tables full of at gun shows, what are these supposed to do than an off the shelf one won't do better?

I don't need a gold plated shovel or hammer either. Just ordered two more of the Moras just like this one for $29 shipped.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got one on my hip right now. Fit & function suits me to a tee. Love 'em and a great deal, to boot.

I have 4 stashed where I will likely need a good sharp knife. They are a great value! A close friend is a quality knife maker and I sentimentally use the ones he gave me , when hunting and camping. But there is a sharp Mora in my deer pack! I am thinking of giving some out for Christmas. Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I like their stainless blades for working in marine environments and the handle is well suited for wet and slippery conditions as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several of the mora knives, and like and use them all the time. they are a real good deal as far as I am concerned, for the price. I like the carbon steel ones, with the thicker blade, but had given one to a buddy, forgot to tell him I guess, about a little oil and cleaning now and then, looked pretty shabby for a bit til I cleaned it up for him. be nice if they came with a better sheath, but would be more $$.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

I can't get into pretty knives, always wonder about all the handmade knives I see tables full of at gun shows, what are these supposed to do than an off the shelf one won't do better?

They do the same thing that nice wood does on a long gun, they instill a pride of ownership...….. and something to enjoy during times when not much is going on.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

You don't have to have a custom knife to have a nice knife. But you do have to pay more than 15 bucks. My Buck 192 is my favorite, then the 110. A 110 will cost you about 40 I think at Walmart. Course if it's just a tool, guess it don't make much difference.

Kinda like the difference between a glock and a 1911.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a super secret stash of vintage Gerber 600 Magnum LSTs. One of which is still in the slightly yellowing clam pack. It's absolutely my favorite folder for under $100

As far as Mora's are concerned, I've always had at least one handy for the last 22 years. I've broken one, which was my fault, and have never had one complaint about them. Ultralight and super inexpensive, what's not to like?
    Last edited by Cargo; 12-12-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    Cargo

I have at least 5 or 6 scattered around the house. Some in camping gear kits. Some by doors, one hanging on the hidden side of the fridge.

Yet to have an issue with one, from the basic to the companion.

You can do some fairly interesting things with patina on those with mustard and hot vinegar. Heck you could put your initials on it.
    Good knives clear across the board.

Also have their spoon carving knives. Good company, good price, good product.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

USMC 77, USRA 79

hey rich!!! Lets see that knife!! i am not sure what they look like... show me the steel
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    some how my mora fillet knife made it's way into the kitchen draw and my wife has claimed it. I have a few mora's, my only dislike is the plastic sheath, I cant seem to get it wear right.

I field dressed my latest buck with my oldest Mora carbon steel knife two weeks ago. A few years back I bought one for each member of the family. The year after that I had $600 worth of custom knives built for them. The Moras get used, while the elk and pecan customs stay put up. My son gave me a $25 gift card to the LGS- within minutes I walked out with a red handle and a blue handle stainless Mora knives. My chef daughter has already taken the blue one.
    We like them!
    Here's a poor pic. I found a leather sheath for the carbon one a while back, much better to me than the snicky plastic one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-16-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    hey rich!!! Lets see that knife!! i am not sure what they look like... show me the steel
    Looks just like this one, but they make them in various colors and slightly different configurations. Can be had on Ebay and such for dirt cheap for what they are.
    Attachment 273145

My EDC is an Eafengrow EF221 folder, D2 Blade and G10 Handle because it has an axis lock allowing to me open and close it one handed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51Q9POHAs6L._AC_SL1010_.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	273146

I never heard of Mora knives before, I will have to add that to my Christmas list this year. Thank you gents!

Boolit Grand Master

Cheap knife in a plastic sheath and the best value in knives out there. Much like a Hi Point. Inexpensive, not pretty but works great. I have several.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast