RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an Airgun and a good forum on them.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking for an Airgun and a good forum on them.

If there are any rabid arigunners here, would you be able to recommend a good forum dedicated to air guns?

I have put together a list of what I am looking for if you have any suggestions wrt possible rifles.

Here are my needs:
    Must be easy to cock/charge. I am 70 with some limitations
    No ear protection needed
    No tanks that need to be filled, but a compressor is OK
    Accuracy of 1.5" at 50 yards.
    Must accept a scope
    Weight under 8 lbs without scope.
    Easy to shoot off a rest...break open springers are out.

My wants:
    Budget of $1500 for gun, and compressor (if needed)
    It would nice to be able to use it for critters up to the size of squirrels/rabbits for pest control to 50 yards. Maybe a .22 cal.?
    (I have an air gun scope on an RWS springer so that is covered)
    Being able to leave the gun "charged" without damage
    Adjustable trigger 2.5-5 lbs.

Lastly, what kind of accuracy can I expect from cast bullets. I doubt I would ever cast if I can buy pellets, but I like being prepared for the worst.

I assume I should go with a .22 or .25

A friend has recommended a Benjamin Marauder.
    Don Verna

Gateway To Airguns is a top notch dedicated airgun forum.
    As far as cast pellets... I just bought a NOE 22 cal. 20 gr. mold for my Benji 392 steroid and getting great accuracy from it by ladle pressure casting.
    They are jsb pellet accurate from my rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Just getting feet wet in the PCP world myself, I have an old Blue Streak, a couple of Crossmans, and Beeman springer. Same age as you so I know what you are saying and I also say that GTA is a great forum as well as Airnation. I purchased a Benjamin Kratos(22) a week ago and still have to get my compressor. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy as much as I am looking forward to it. Terry
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master

I'm on gateway to airguns too.

The Marauder is a great choice, backed by an American company with easy to source and inexpensive parts.

Mine is the field target model, with regulator, Lothar Walther barrel, and picatinny rail.
    It's big rifle, feels good to me, 6'2" still in pretty good health. Fits my body well. With large 30mm scope, burris PERP scope mount, and M-1 cotton sling weighs almost 10 lbs.

Very capable at 50 yards.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Don: I have a Weihrauch HW77 Under Lever gun in .22 cal. It is not too hard to cock and I just turned 71 so I know where you are coming from.

I've had this gun since 1991 and it has accounted for literally hundreds of Mocking Birds (my Arch Nemesis) out to 40+ yards., and I'm sure it would go farther if needed.

It has a Burris 4X Airgun Scope mounted on it that has been there since the beginning and will be there til the end.

The gun is well suited to what you are looking for, with no support equipment needed.

Very few of the larger Spring Piston guns are going to be under 8 lbs with scope. My R1 weighs 10 lbs and I have to cock it with my right arm cuz it is so powerful my left isn't strong enough to do it more than once or twice.

However I have knocked over a 100 yard Rimfire Silhouette Ram with it several times and with the JSB Monster Pellets weighing @25 gr it would certainly take out a Squirrel at that distance. (once you got the hold over sussed out!)

The HW 77 is not quite as powerful as the R1 but certainly a 50 yard gun.

Maybe a trip over to Pyramyd Air's website would help you chose since they sell jsut about every Air Gun known to man.

I tend to like the German Made guns as they have consistently been the best made guns I own. "Weihrauch" being my preferred brand name. I have 4 of them. HW35E HW35EB, HW77 and R1/HW 80

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-12-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    You need to do more research before you take advice and jump in with both feet.

1500 is not a large budget for a PCP.

A poor decision will set you on a path you may not like.

Boolit Master
    I bought a PCP airgun this spring and can’t be happier with it. It’s a Daystate Huntsman .22 with Huma regulator and it will shoot .25” groups at fifty yards with regularity if the right pellets are used. Keep in mind that a compressor will run you around twelve-hundred for a decent one vs six-hundred for a large capacity carbon fiber SCBA tank that can be easily refilled for around ten or twelve bucks and you can get thousands of shots from one charge. Nothing to break down with the bottle vs the compressor. The Daystate is made in England and is considered to be one of the premium makers of airguns. You can get a very high quality hunting PCP gun for around eleven-twelve hundred dollars. Yes, you can spend three times that much but unless you plan to enter high end competition don’t spend the extra money. The Daystate is superbly accurate and comes with a five year warranty....the best on the market. Check out AirgunsofArizona.com and see what they have. Their prices are great and something’s always on sale. The Daystate can be had for around eleven hundred bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Marauder for years, bought none shortly after they came out. 22 cal very accurate, squirrels and small game no problem.
    I leave it charged. If I'm going to store it for a few months I drop the PSI to 1000. I fill from a scuba tank.
    Compressors are pretty expensive.

Boolit Mold
    Very sorry for this but I just created my account and am not sure what else to do could you please tell me how to create a forum page real quick? I cannot figure it out.

Boolit Buddy
    I get my scuba tanks filled at a dive shop they don't charge me to top them off.
    I used to get them filled at the local volunteer fire dept. They have divers and their own compressor. They did it free.

Boolit Master
    If you check around you’ll find someplace to get a tank filled. Fire departments, dive shops, and places that fill paint ball tanks...several sporting goods stores in my area do them.

Boolit Mold
    Such a variety to pick from these days. Some amazing guns from break barrels to PCP. As a hunter for over 55yrs....I decided to go with Air force Airguns Condor SS in .25 cal and also the Air force Texan SS in .308! They both are accurate powerful and super quiet. If you go to YouTube has tons of video and links to forums. Good luck

Another +1 for Gateway To Airguns.

And, I own a GEN I Marauder.
    It will fill your wants and needs list.
    Easy to work on too, if you want to mod it or install aftermarket parts.

Had they offered it back when I first was looking at PCP air guns, I would go with the Field Target rifle, with the regulator and the Lothar barrel.
    Prices on compressors have come down, some in the mid $500s. There are more than a few threads on compressors on Gateway To Airguns.

Boolit Master

I am thinking about a FX Maverick Sniper for my first PCP, just haven't figured out how to tell the misses of my wishes. As far as a airgun website, I'm a member over at airguild.com; very good people and very knowledgeable.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a Benjamin Marauder pistol in 22 caliber with the shoulder stock. These are wonderful little rifles that shoot into a dime across the back yard 20 or so yards. It IS a PCP, pre-charged pneumatic. I get a 4500# SCBA tank filled at a dive shop and charge the tube to 3000psi. The tport in this one has been drilled about .080" ovre stock, it's the only mod done and it ups the power considerably. Squirrels are a hard kill with any airgun, you have to hit them in the head to kill them humanely and quickly. Torso shots are a slow death even with a modded 22.

There is no free ride with airguns. You have to live within the limitations of every design, and the PCP is a MUCH more likeable platform with the only drawback getting the tank filled. You could always use more than one tank if it's a long drive to get it filled, or you could use a compressor.

Also have a Benjamin Marauder rifle in 25 caliber that has had the tport modified by making a custom piece that keeps the plenum fully bore area all the way from the Cauthorn custom valve to the back of the pellet in the breech. This one will smack it's way through a 2x4 without second thought although there is only 4 to 6 shots in the tube at this power level. Coon or Coyote don't stand a chance of taking one of these to the cranium and running off.

I moved almost 3 years ago and the rifles were charged when I moved, they have been sitting in a closet for that whole time, and they have maintained their charge.

The pistol was sent back to Crossman after I got it for air leaks and also it would not group. They either fixed the air leak and rebarreled it, or they sent a new one I can't remember now but they sent along two tins of pellets that they used and it groups to within 3/8" at 25 yards now with those pellets, all done on their dime. Can't say enough about their customer support.

The best part about the Benjamin Marauders is that they are magazine fed, bolt action guns, which offer a quick following shot. PCP simply takes ALL the hassle and drawbacks out of shooting an airgun, after having a tuned underlever springer, I wouldn't go back.

Another +1 for Gateway To Airguns. I learned a LOT on this forum.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-18-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I am thinking about a FX Maverick Sniper for my first PCP, just haven't figured out how to tell the misses of my wishes. As far as a airgun website, I'm a member over at airguild.com; very good people and very knowledgeable.
    Wow!
    You, sir, have excellent and expensive taste!

Good luck with the Misses!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I have a Benjamin Marauder pistol in 22 caliber with the shoulder stock. These are wonderful little rifles that shoot into a dime across the back yard 20 or so yards. It IS a PCP, pre-charged pneumatic. I get a 4500# SCBA tank filled at a dive shop and charge the tube to 3000psi. The tport in this one has been drilled about .080" ovre stock, it's the only mod done and it ups the power considerably. Squirrels are a hard kill with any airgun, you have to hit them in the head to kill them humanely and quickly. Torso shots are a slow death even with a modded 22.

There is no free ride with airguns. You have to live within the limitations of every design, and the PCP is a MUCH more likeable platform with the only drawback getting the tank filled. You could always use more than one tank if it's a long drive to get it filled, or you could use a compressor.

Also have a Benjamin Marauder rifle in 25 caliber that has had the tport modified by making a custom piece that keeps the plenum fully bore area all the way from the Cauthorn custom valve to the back of the pellet in the breech. This one will smack it's way through a 2x4 without second thought although there is only 4 to 6 shots in the tube at this power level. Coon or Coyote don't stand a chance of taking one of these to the cranium and running off.

I moved almost 3 years ago and the rifles were charged when I moved, they have been sitting in a closet for that whole time, and they have maintained their charge.

The pistol was sent back to Crossman after I got it for air leaks and also it would not group. They either fixed the air leak and rebarreled it, or they sent a new one I can't remember now but they sent along two tins of pellets that they used and it groups to within 3/8" at 25 yards now with those pellets, all done on their dime. Can't say enough about their customer support.

The best part about the Benjamin Marauders is that they are magazine fed, bolt action guns, which offer a quick following shot. PCP simply takes ALL the hassle and drawbacks out of shooting an airgun, after having a tuned underlever springer, I wouldn't go back.

Another +1 for Gateway To Airguns. I learned a LOT on this forum.
    What FPS/Energy are you getting out of the .25 Mrod?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A5galbucket View Post
    Wow!
    You, sir, have excellent and expensive taste!

Good luck with the Misses!
    I do have Champagne tastes on a Beer budget. I have a plan, since I am the one that picks up the mail, she'll never see it!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I bought a PCP airgun this spring and can’t be happier with it. It’s a Daystate Huntsman .22 with Huma regulator and it will shoot .25” groups at fifty yards with regularity if the right pellets are used. Keep in mind that a compressor will run you around twelve-hundred for a decent one vs six-hundred for a large capacity carbon fiber SCBA tank that can be easily refilled for around ten or twelve bucks and you can get thousands of shots from one charge. Nothing to break down with the bottle vs the compressor. The Daystate is made in England and is considered to be one of the premium makers of airguns. You can get a very high quality hunting PCP gun for around eleven-twelve hundred dollars. Yes, you can spend three times that much but unless you plan to enter high end competition don’t spend the extra money. The Daystate is superbly accurate and comes with a five year warranty....the best on the market. Check out AirgunsofArizona.com and see what they have. Their prices are great and something’s always on sale. The Daystate can be had for around eleven hundred bucks.
    I wound up purchasing a Daystate Huntsman after watching a few video reviews. I was impressed with the low sound and dime size groups at 50 yards. $1000 seemed like a lot for a “pellet gun”, but I appreciate quality. Good pellets cost the same as cheap .22 LR’s. The ability to shoot without hearing protection will be welcomed. Not being as affected by “shortages” is a plus as well.

Now, to decide on a pump.

The local squirrel, and chipmunk population may suffer.
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by A5galbucket View Post
    What FPS/Energy are you getting out of the .25 Mrod?
    I forget. It's considerable though. Next time I shoot it I'll try to remember to crony the string.

I plugged a 47gr pellet at 900fps into a calculator and it comes out to 84.55 FPE so that's pretty close.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-28-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast