Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hash Browns have no taste.

Boolit Master
    Grits are better anyhow. I'm on the north edge of the grits line, and will get hash browns if the cafe does not have grits.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    What is 4% milk?
    Whole milk is about 3.5% vs the 2/1/skim variety.

I just shred my own. Agree with Kent Rollins, that boy can cook! The key is drying the freshly sliced taters by sandwiching between a paper towel for a lil bit as the skillet heats up. Love adding jalapeņos, onions, ham chunks in mine. Or just plain. Or really about any way!

Boolit Buddy

A gardener here who learned from a Dad who took pride in his potatoes. Although there are many varieties of potatoes, here are a few generalities. Red's are best for baby or new potatoes. In my opinion reds make a better mashed potato. Reds have a subtle sweet flavor. Reds do not keep so it is best to pick what you need for a week or 2 in gardening season. Going into winter -- they start to get soft even when stored properly before most white varieties do.
    White potatoes tend to be starchier and have less flavor. I mainly grow to save for winter as they seem to develop better flavor after setting a bit. In my opinion they make better baked potatoes and hash browns. If you grate for hash browns you will need to rinse a bit but not too much. The rinse bleeds off some of the starch and keeps them from sticking to pan. too much rinsing bleeds flavor. For baked potatoes -- I rinse & rub with hands to clean, then wipe and put a light coat of vegtable oil on, poke with a fork a few times & sprinkle with kosher salt and bake (uncovered) at 400F for an hour (big will take a bit longer). The skin will have the most flavor and be crispy. I hand mash baked this way(with skins) for potato part of gniocchi, which gives a way more intense potato flavor to that pasta.
    Hash browns-- there are many different styles (chunky, shreaded, etc), for flavor they need to be brown, I have good results if I can keep temp of cook surface consistent to brown and not burn. If you want a buttery flavor add at end or use an infused oil as butter will burn if you start with it. Some frozen hash browns seem to have little or no flavor, I believe it is because they were rinsed too long or are old. Hope this helps!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not had a frozen potato anything in over two years,, but, earlier this week, I had to have something,,
    so,, I selected some store brand of "waffle potatoes",,

As soon as they were done,, I pulled them out of the oven,, and added Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning,,
    The end result was EXCELLENT!!

8-10 years ago we started using Tony Chachere's Creole ,, the second time I bought it, I got the GIANT can, rather than the small.
    My wife laughed at me,, she said we would never use that much,, in our lifetime,,

Well, since we have learned how to use it,, I would bet we now go through two of the giant cans a year!!

Walmart is the place to buy the large can of Tony Chachere's Creole ,, it is only a little over $2,,
    Other stores charge $3.50+ for the small can,,

Boolit Grand Master

A old farmers trick here Keep a jar of bacon fat handy. use it to fry potatoes green beans and most foods. a teaspoon or so in place of oil or butter. adds a smokey bacony flavor. Mom had that old mason jar full of bacon fat. after frying the bacon in the morning she would strain it thru cheese cloth into the jar when it was getting low.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What is 4% milk?
    Tell me you are joking. 4% used to be normal milk until someone incorrectly said it had too much fat for average human consumption.

Boolit Master

YES, a tad bit of bacon fat will do the trick !!

AND you can add a LITTLE bit of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
    if you want more bite.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

I only see non fat, 2% and Whole milk in the store. Do you mean whole milk?

Moderator Emeritus

I keep a case of dehydrated hash browns in the pantry. I rehydrate, cook in butter, and serve them with gravy over them. Gravy should contain a pint of canned elk or deer shoulder. Pepper helps too.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Tell me you are joking. 4% used to be normal milk until someone incorrectly said it had too much fat for average human consumption.
    Is 3% milk a thing?
    There is no "3% milk" because 3% milk is pretty much just milk - normal, unadulterated milk as it comes from the cow - so they call it whole milk. It doesn't go higher than 3% because above that (again, depending on the breed), it's not just altered milk any more - it's milk plus extra fat.

https://milklife.com/articles/nutrit...-of-dairy-milk
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I think freeze drying or dehydrating anything sucks out most of its flavor along with the moisture.

None of the cooking oils have much taste to me, or I just don't like them.
    I've switched back to bacon grease, or real lard for many of my cooking oil needs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

DANGER DANGER ONLY FOR THE YOUNG AND FOOL HARDY. THERE IS LEARNING CURVE. ALMOST WENT TO ER

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...fYzVGCKqgbcvJg
    We've got a plastic one of those and I've come real close to adding flesh to the potatoes too. It does a good job but you gotta watch when you get close to the end.

Boolit Man
    I used to get the dehydrated hash browns at Costco, like others here I had to use more water than what they recommend and on top of that I'd put the container in the microwave with the water in it and heat it up that way. A couple years ago I picked up a newish food processor at a garage sale that was missing most attachments except the hashbrown/potato chip disk (one side sheds, flip it over & other side cuts potato chips). It's fast and has a better finished product, but the thing is that once I had a bunch of uncooked potato chip slices so I fried them up in patties and IMHO they come out a lot better than shredded hash brown patties do, you can still cook them crunchy and they don't disintegrate when flipping. So people may want to try them that way if you're looking for something different.

Boolit Master
    Hash brown patties are often seasoned, freeze dried is usually not. Onion is the most used seasoning. Montreal steak is good for adding complexity. Still experimenting.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

The frozen hash brown patties are more like a tator tot flavor wise... they are okay, really quick cooking compared to regular hash browns. But flavor is not hash browns...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I only see non fat, 2% and Whole milk in the store. Do you mean whole milk?
    Whole milk is probably 4%. Surprised it doesn’t say what % it is on the label.

Boolit Grand Master

Is 3% milk a thing?
    There is no "3% milk" because 3% milk is pretty much just milk - normal, unadulterated milk as it comes from the cow - so they call it whole milk. It doesn't go higher than 3% because above that (again, depending on the breed), it's not just altered milk any more - it's milk plus extra fat.

https://milklife.com/articles/nutrit...-of-dairy-milk
    According to this article, whole milk is up to 3.25% milk fat. I always thought it was 4%. I guess I was wrong or the standard my have changed. Cows milk varies and today the milk that comes from a cow is probably higher in milk fat, but some is removed to standardize it and make butter.

Boolit Buddy
    Add some slap yo mama.

Boolit Bub
    I cube mine in 3/8 cubes and add paprika, Lowrys garlic salt, and black pepper over and over as I turn them in about 1/4 inch of oil. It takes a lot of spices. Yellow potatoes with the skins on work best for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast