Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hash Browns have no taste.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what dehydrated hash browns taste like, but frozen ones need a couple farm eggs on top, so the yolk runs down through the pile, and maybe a little sharp cheddar cheese grated over the top. I think this is whats for supper tonight

Boolit Master

Son in law is a chef, he tries some pretty wild things while experimenting. Well, so do I, sometimes when I make waffles for the grands kids, and I crack and scramble an egg (or 2) and pour the egg into the waffle iron. Daughter doesn't like eggs too much, but when pregnant with her youngest, she would eat those eggs for the protein. Son in law would get a waffle egg sandwich, between 2 waffles, of course with bacon.

Well, taking from my egg waffles, SIL took frozen hash browns, sometimes tater tots, and mashed them in the waffle iron. His seasoning is pretty standard fare, salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder/cumin/thyme, amounts seem to be either a trade secret or his whim. Good stuff.

I make my hash browns from a little differently. Shred the russets, rinse/soak for 5 minutes, place rinsed/shredded into a corning bowl, place into freezer uncovered the night before. Poof, fresh yet frozen hash brown in skillet at medium heat, usually after cooking the bacon. If I'm making for more than one serving, I do like Mom always did. She would bake the potato, let cool, then shred.

As far as dried hash browns, I cheat. When I boil cubed potatoes, (I make a lot of potato salad) I save the water in a canning jar for later use. That water gets used in soups, stews, chili, etc., and for re hydrating dried hash browns. That is the only way that ever worked for me. I don't buy the dried hash browns, but the wife keeps such things in the pantry as a just in case kind of thing. Heck, I keep instant mashed potatoes around for when I am making gravy for those gluten free guests, that or corn masa rather than wheat flour.

Some instant things are handy for just in case. My home brew instant freeze dried hash browns are simply placed in the self defrosting freezer rather than the chest freezer for 2 days. Then they are either bagged or used. Instant mashed are made from my regular home brewed mashed potatoes, mash put on a cookie sheet, and frozen until dehydrated. When dry, the mash is broken up and shredded in the blender. Flakes are placed in a canning jar, and good for 6 to 12 months. Sometimes, you just grow to many potatoes, got to deal with it!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Thanks to all

Solutions to date.

Went from about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
    put in salt, onion salt, garlic salt, and pepper soaked 20 min in the water

Now using bacon grease

These are really good now

Thanks again
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Salt is your friend!
    And lard.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    4 %milk fat is what Missouri calls whole milk the red cap .Texas whole milk is 5 or 6% by law

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    We use dehydrated hash browns and they have no taste and an off-taste.

Added salt, pepper, onion salt, and then raw onions. When the onion salt didn't help

Used canola oil and switch to

Whirl Butter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The taste was better but still had an off-flavor

Thanks for any help.
    Probably just COVID-19

Holstein dairy cows are bred for milk production, not butter, so they give milk that is seemingly lower if butterfat. I have witnessed some dairies that raise a few Jersy cows or other breeds to bring up the fat content in their milk. My dad had a Guernsy milk cow that produced a little more than a lb of butter daily and a whole lot of milk. I may have raised more questions such as how butter is made. The Boys Ranch in NM was given many cases of whipped cream in pressured cans that was too near the "best by" date by the Creamland Dairies Co. in Albuquerque and the donor asked what I would do with it. The label said it was pure cream and I told him we would make butter. I had all the boys that could reach in and empty the cans of whipped cream into a 20 gallon container. As the cream was sprayed in the bottom would go to liquid. We would dip out about a gallon and a half of the liquid and put in a the mixer bowl, Then whip until the butter separated. A visiting lady came and asked what we were doing and was told making butter. She exclaimed that she thought butter was made from pig fat. I have two mandolins, one is going to the thrift store, the other is good qualty with a device looking like a western 3x beaver. The potato is covered with the "hat" that pushes down with the hat brim sliding along the rail of the mandolin. Your hand are completely protected. OK now the salt is your friend and the lard is 'your " friend, not mine as I am allergic to it. I do eat the lean. Thanks to all for the methods you use for hash browns. Yeah and the grits.

Boolit Master

Directions for good hash browns:
    1)Peel and halve longways a couple of medim to large russet potatoes
    2) Parboil in enough water to cover and cook about 6-8 minutes then drain.
    3) refrigerate in plastic wrap until ready to use
    4) when ready to use grate on box grater and place appropriate amount in well oiled pan, salt top side
    5) do not turn until pan side is crisp, then turn and brown other side
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

In the U S Whole milk is standardized at 3.5% fat. Some breeds are known for higher butterfat, notably the Jerseys.
    Holsteins are known for volume rather than high butterfat content. Diet can also affect the butterfat content. Dairy farmers are paid by volume, calculated in cwt, with a premium for butterfat over 3.5%.
    Balancing protein and energy, economically in a ration is a very practical science.
    I apologize for being off topic but I worked with Dairy farmers for 20 years, weighing and sampling individual production for their records.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

ORE-IDA frozen hash browns.

BB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123