WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hash Browns have no taste.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Hash Browns have no taste.

We use dehydrated hash browns and they have no taste and an off-taste.

Added salt, pepper, onion salt, and then raw onions. When the onion salt didn't help

Used canola oil and switch to

Whirl Butter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The taste was better but still had an off-flavor

Thanks for any help.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Change brands of dry potatoes?

I think you're on the right track to mask the off flavor if that's the goal. Add even more flavor, but it will no longer be "hash browns" as others know them, but very much your own. If yours are loose you might need to make a patty for the following to work. Without knowing what the off flavor tastes like, try adding
    1. garlic
    2. bacon and fry in bacon fat, maybe add a few drops of liquid smoke to enhance the bacon flavor.
    3. black pepper
    4. shredded cheese, cheddar, blue, or even some parmesan or romano. Add to mix or on top like a cheeseburger.

I don't mean to add them all at once, but some of the flavors would definitely work together.

Boolit Master
    ive tried some that had a cardboard taste,not really a fan of dehydrated or frozen hash browns

Since getting covid, nothing has any taste. Makes cooking really easy, just go for texture.

Boolit Bub
    Honestly, I'd just start grating your own taters. That's how I do it. And you get the real potato flavor plus whatever you love in em. Big fan of chili and jalapeno myself.

Boolit Master

Kent Rollins has excellent video on making hashbrowns.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinger87 View Post
    Honestly, I'd just start grating your own taters. That's how I do it. And you get the real potato flavor plus whatever you love in em. Big fan of chili and jalapeno myself.
    DANGER DANGER ONLY FOR THE YOUNG AND FOOL HARDY. THERE IS LEARNING CURVE. ALMOST WENT TO ER

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...fYzVGCKqgbcvJg

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Super Moderator

I just use a cheese grater, I never came close to going to ER that way. Might have skinned a knuckle a time or two...just adds to the flavor

Or use a food processer to grate them. Yeah, using a mandolin requires care.

I should have asked sooner, is there a reason you're using dry potatoes? Just curious, I'm not going to jump on you.

Moderator Emeritus

I have used the Hungry Jack dehydrated hash browns. Okay, pretty bland/not much potato taste, takes a LOT longer to rehydrate than claimed on the package, and I use 1 1/2 times the amount of water specified. I use my house seasoning to add flavor, it is equal parts salt, onion powder, garlic powder then black pepper to taste(this is also the base for many of my other rubs!).

Frozen hash browns are better, I think the rehydrating process removes a lot of flavor when using dehydrated.

Fresh always turn to mush when I try it... maybe not getting them dry enough...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I just use a cheese grater, I never came close to going to ER that way. Might have skinned a knuckle a time or two...just adds to the flavor
    Wife only had maybe 3 or 4-inch potatoes. They would flex. You need FRESH very larger potatoes that won't flex.

I couldnt get one chunk to stop bleeding. We found in the dogs 1st aid kit, some king of bleeding powder poured in in the hole and it stop in 5 or 10 min

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

I have never tried dehydrated hash browns.
    Frozen or fresh is my choice.
    My wife taught me to have the skillet up to heat before putting in the potatoes to get the nice and brown.

Banned

never tried them. Always have used frozen ones or made my own

Banned

Salt is your friend!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    DANGER DANGER ONLY FOR THE YOUNG AND FOOL HARDY. THERE IS LEARNING CURVE. ALMOST WENT TO ER

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...fYzVGCKqgbcvJg
    Those slicers are great for potatoes, onions and a lot of other things too. Unfortunately, they do get dull and need to be replaced.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Fresh potatoes are best, but you have to know your potatoes too. They all have different tastes.

If using dehydrated potatoes, try hydrating the in 4% milk instead of water. If it’s less than 4% milk, don’t waste your time. All the flavor comes from the milk fat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Those slicers are great for potatoes, onions and a lot of other things too. Unfortunately, they do get dull and need to be replaced.
    It was brand new and I sent it back!

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Fresh potatoes are best, but you have to know your potatoes too. They all have different tastes.

If using dehydrated potatoes, try hydrating the in 4% milk instead of water. If it’s less than 4% milk, don’t waste your time. All the flavor comes from the milk fat.
    What is 4% milk?

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Waffle House has the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    What is 4% milk?
    4% milkfat. I assume higher than 4% would be OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast