RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Value of a Win 92 in 25-20

Value of a Win 92 in 25-20

Typically i do not like to buy refinished or restored guns. But this one caught my eye.
    I already shoot a 1924 made Savage Sporter in 25-20. I have plenty of brass and cast for it.
    My LGS has a redone 92 SRC in 25-20. Mint......but redone.
    It looks like some kind of parkerizing on the gun, but it is now in great shape. They didn't buff the daylights out of it before refinishing it so the letters and numbers are still sharp.
    The bore is perfect. The wood is great.
    Now the big question - they want $1200, which to me is a high price to pay for a refinished 92.
    I'd love to have it to shoot woodchucks with it, but I wonder if that is a fair price for a refinished gun.
    They did a nice job on refinishing the gun in some moly coating or parkerizing.
    What say you?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I'm so sure if it's a good price, maybe a bit high. They are a handy lever though. Nice to carry and shoot good to boot. Tempting for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Well the 25-20 is one of the rare calibers in a model 92. That is probably why the price. Plus the price of a good re-blue is no longer cheap.
    To me it is worth $900. That is a reasonable going price for a 92 with o finish in 25-20.
    No collector will touch it. So maybe patience and the hope no one else likes it will help the price.
    But if you want it make then an offer 30% less and see if they "gasp".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I was going to say about the same thing. I got a refinished 92 SRC in 32 WCF a few years back for $900 ( perfect bore and really great un-refinnished wood). In my experience 32-20 SRC's are harder to come by than 25-20 SRC's right now. Quite a few 25-20 SRC's available on the market right now either on gun broker or guns International. Most of them have higher asking prices than I would want to pay - That's why they are still sitting there unsold. I think the 32-20 SRC's are scarcer because there is more available for ammo and components than 25-20 right now. Perfect bore means a lot to me. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $900- $1000 for a 25-20 SRC if it was calling to me to do so. Great cartridge in a great configuration 1892 Win..
    Being human is not for sissies.

Nope...……. $1200 would be about right for a pristine M92 in either .25-20 or .32-20 in original condition, not refinished.

Refinishing no matter how nice, cuts the value almost in half for a smallbore.

OTOH, $1200 is about the right price for a re-finished .38-40 or .44-40, since one of the bigger bores that are in original, non-refinished pristine condition are worth about $2500.

The main reason for the value differential between the two smaller bores and the larger ones is CAS places a large demand on the bigger bores, thus driving their value.

A few years ago, a savvy gunshow dealer gladly paid me $2500 for a refinished .32-20 with a few Special Order features - but it was a recent/perfect verified (it was in Turnbull's book) Turnbull restoration, case colors and all.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Gun has very little collector value in today’s market, it’s a shooter. OTOH it’s hard to find a 25-20 1892 with a decent bore. Take a hard look at the breech end for a liner. I have a shooter 1892 in 32-20; tons of fun to shoot with a tang sight and a Lyman 17M on the front.

Mike
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

$1200 is way out for that kind of refinish 92. Good 25/20s shooters are hard to find. I’ve looked at dozens of them and most have poor bores. I been buying them for better than 50yrs. I’ve only got two 25/20s presently. One is Marlin 1894 rifle from early 1900s. Bore on this one is dark but in very good shape, outstanding shooter. My other is a 53Win which amounts to a 1892 Rifle. The exterior isn’t perfect but very good. The bore in this dude is like a new dime. I don’t believe gun had ever been shot much. I generally try to trade up and I’ve had several old Marlins and Win 92s that weren’t much for accuracy. My goal was a 92 in 25/20 that shot well enough to hunt squirrel. Never achieved it. Both rifles I have now will shoot under 1” at 40yds.

Value depends on more than just condition. Date of manufacture for example whether refinished or original can influence the asking price.

Some years ago I bought these original rifles in 38WCF which have consequetive 4 digit serial numbers and made in the first year of production 1892. I have another in 44/40 that has been rebarelled but also has a 4 digit serial number, the selling price for that would be 80 - 90% of the value of an original.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    right before pandemic started shutting stuff down I saw a 1892 in 44-40 it was a 1917 made gun with long octagon barrel. it looked mint. bore in excellent condition. if it was reblued it was done extremely well. asking price was $1199. I was going to scrape together $800 and go back and make them an offer but the whole world got turned upside down, have yet to return to that gun shop but I doubt it is still there with the way things have been going with gun sales

Moderator Emeritus

Value is also dependent on whether you really want it or not and paying something extra is ok at this point in time. Good luck.
    Ron

Well, I made an offer....2 guns plus $250 cash. I'm OK with paying a little bit more. I have been known to do that with Hensley & Gibbs moulds.
    If I look at how much I have into the 2 guns plus the cash, I will be paying about $900.
    ....that is if the owner accepts the offer.
    I think that is about right.
    He is off till Monday hunting up in Maine so the offer sits on his desk until he gets back.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Well, he accepted the offer. So now I have to start working up a cast/jacketed bullet load for the 25-20 '92.
    Bottom line is I think i paid maybe $100 too much for the gun, but the bore is pristine and the gun really isn't worn in the action..
    Since the gun has lost all its collector's value because it is refinished in a Parkerized finish, I will start toying with the idea of scoping it and see how it does.
    A shooter lives on!

Good Buy!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

One picture is worth one thousand words!

You'll be miles ahead by installing a receiver peep sight...….. (jes' sayin')
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    One picture is worth one thousand words!
    When I get a few minutes I will be happy to post.
    Not sure how good they will be but I'll give it a shot!

Boolit Buddy
    When I get a few minutes I will be happy to post.
    Not sure how good they will be but I'll give it a shot.
    Thanks, we all appreciate pics.

While you get your pics sorted out I’ll post a pic of my model 92 in 25/20:

I bought this one off a older gentleman a few years ago at a local Gunshow for very short money.

He built it up from parts he scrounged up over time and I believe he was setting it up for some kind of small bore centerfire silhouette competition.

The barrel is 23 and 7/8ths inches long with nary a mark on it (other than what looks like white overspray from an unrelated painting project) and I’m unsure if it’s stainless or not (the entire rifle was left in the white except for the stubby magazine tube).

It’s diameter is .730” at the muzzle and it balances well, hangs on target with no effort and is fairly accurate for something a guy put together in his garage from a box of parts.

It’s a pleasure to shoot and I have taken a few cottontails and jackrabbits with it here of late.

I’m sure you will enjoy yours as well.

Please keep us updated on how it shoots and post a few pics when you can.