Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionPBcastco
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What tool is this?

Boolit Mold
    Good news. After soaking in the oil bath for a few days everything freed up with a little effort. The unit is functional again. Even the spring is working. I got the shell holder out with just a touch of heat to ease it along. Going to finish cleaning up the ugly bits and hopefully I will be priming some brass tomorrow night.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I just love a happy ending! Drop me a PM if you decide you need any further assistance or if I can help you track down any shell holders.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    When you squeeze it, place your thumb as close to the base as you can, and don't try to force anything. If you put your thumb on the end of the lever for added leverage you will eventually break the lever, and replacement parts are not available, and haven't been for ages. I've accumulated a couple of spares over the years after I broke mine; I like them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    When you squeeze it, place your thumb as close to the base as you can, and don't try to force anything. If you put your thumb on the end of the lever for added leverage you will eventually break the lever, and replacement parts are not available, and haven't been for ages. I've accumulated a couple of spares over the years after I broke mine; I like them.
    Amen to this. Also, it’s a good idea to add just a touch of heavy grease on the moving and bearing surfaces, I lightly grease the bottom of the primer stem each time I change shell holders.

jonjon00,

Have you had time for a nice priming session yet? I like to dump about 50 primers into a little glass ashtray I set aside and can even sit in my easy chair with a TV tray in front of me to knock out 50 or 100 or even more cases with very little effort.

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Amen to this. Also, it’s a good idea to add just a touch of heavy grease on the moving and bearing surfaces, I lightly grease the bottom of the primer stem each time I change shell holders.

jonjon00,

Have you had time for a nice priming session yet? I like to dump about 50 primers into a little glass ashtray I set aside and can even sit in my easy chair with a TV tray in front of me to knock out 50 or 100 or even more cases with very little effort.

Froggie
    I have. I put some primers in the lid of a peanut butter jar and primed up some brass for my 44. This thing is smooth as warm butter. I like it. It will likely become my go to for the small batch loading sessions.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few of those.
    Some shell holder too.

Banned

I have about a half dozen of those on my loading bench set up for things I commonly reload. I also have a box with quite a few of the shell holders, most still new in the package, some are kind of odd ones. I like these, but as mentioned they're kinda slow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have about a half dozen of those on my loading bench set up for things I commonly reload. I also have a box with quite a few of the shell holders, most still new in the package, some are kind of odd ones. I like these, but as mentioned they're kinda slow.
    I’m getting to be like you. I have enough now that I can have tools “dedicated” to certain cartridges or families of cartridges. It is a little more convenient that way. As for speed, I find the slower pace relaxing, plus it gives the opportunity to examine each case before and after so I know they are good to go on to the next step in the loading process.

The Lee tools have come up in several threads, but I’m seeing some new names here. At the risk of being accused of trying to hijack the OP’s thread, let me mention again that I’m looking for a screw-in SH marked “EE” for my 44-40. If anybody has an extra or knows where I can find one for sale or trade, I would really appreciate a PM. I have a fair number of useful ones to trade.

Regards,
    Froggie

Banned

I’m getting to be like you. I have enough now that I can have tools “dedicated” to certain cartridges or families of cartridges. It is a little more convenient that way. As for speed, I find the slower pace relaxing, plus it gives the opportunity to examine each case before and after so I know they are good to go on to the next step in the loading process.

The Lee tools have come up in several threads, but I’m seeing some new names here. At the risk of being accused of trying to hijack the OP’s thread, let me mention again that I’m looking for a screw-in SH marked “EE” for my 44-40. If anybody has an extra or knows where I can find one for sale or trade, I would really appreciate a PM. I have a fair number of useful ones to trade.

Regards,
    Froggie
    I'll go out to the shed after supper and see if I have an EE.

Banned

Green Frog, PM incoming.

Yep a Lee. I have owned several. They are cast out of zinc and eventually the thumb lever will break. Lee used to do a pretty brisk business selling replacement levers. I used to buy them a couple at a time. Had the same problem with the tool that replaced it with a primer tray. Then I got one of their desk top primers. That is what I use now. They're not perfect either. If a primer gets crosswise in the trough between the tray and the shell holder you have to take the tool all apart to fix it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Yep a Lee. I have owned several. They are cast out of zinc and eventually the thumb lever will break. Lee used to do a pretty brisk business selling replacement levers. I used to buy them a couple at a time. Had the same problem with the tool that replaced it with a primer tray. Then I got one of their desk top primers. That is what I use now. They're not perfect either. If a primer gets crosswise in the trough between the tray and the shell holder you have to take the tool all apart to fix it.
    Oddly enough, I’ve only had one with the thumb lever broken, and the previous owner had super glued a flat piece of aluminum onto what was left, so it remained usable. I bought it for chump change and broke it down for spare parts. If I didn’t have so many of them I might go on beyond idle speculation and figure out how to turn up a body of bronze, cast the thumb lever and cam out of brass, and turn up the primer punches from mild steel. Tith my tooling it shouldn’t take more than about 20 hours per unit and cost a few hundred dollars in shop time!

Froggie

I have an early, i.e., "black box," Lee Loader that came with a red plastic version of that priming tool. Although it is completely functional, the handle may be the weak spot in the design.

I keep telling myself I need to design and build an all machined version of the primer tool body and handle, maybe using a good grade of bronze. Most of the rest of the tool is steel.
    Sometimes a new improved version is not as good as the original.

When you do make up a batch in bronze or brass, please let us know.

I could also use a few more shell holders. How hard would it be to make these shell holders?

Boolit Grand Master
    With current CNC machining it shouldn’t be too hard. The only really tough part doing it on manual machines is getting/grinding the special cutter needed to do each rim recess that would be needed. I might be willing to set up for one or two for myself, but I’m too old and too retired to even think about making them on a commercial basis.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul edward View Post
    Sometimes a new improved version is not as good as the original.

When you do make up a batch in bronze or brass, please let us know.

I could also use a few more shell holders. How hard would it be to make these shell holders?
    Which shell holders do you need? Several of us on this thread have extras and we are trding back and forth as needed. Much easier to trade than make up special ones!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few of those.
    They do work well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12