Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite way to prepare squirrel?

Favorite way to prepare squirrel?

Hey y'all, I'm wondering what is your favorite way to prepare squirrel? My agreement with the wife is that if I clean em she will cook em but coming up with good recipes is a challenge. I'd like to hear how you like to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If I only have a few, I like to cut 'em up and fry them like ya would do fried chicken.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I enjoy squirrel soup. It works out if you just get one. Boil the squirrel in a pot, remove and cool enough to debone. I dice up a stick of celery, 2 potatoes, half an onion and put that to cooking and add the squirrel meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Cornbread or grilled cheeses for sides. Mmmm

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Mamma use to make a great squirrel gravy to die for.. Don't have the recipe or I'd be in squirrel heaven ; )
    H/D PS sorry I'm no help

Boolit Master

Fry them puppies up with plenty of seasoning, salt and pepper will do. Set the pieces aside, make a thin gravy, add the pieces and let 'em go for about 2-4 hours. Gravy thickens up.. Squirrel fricassee. Add onion, celery, etc. to the gravy for flavor. Serve over your choice of starch, we always did rice. Add a veggie and some biscuits or cornbread and you got a meal.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I boil them and pick the meat. Then it goes in a pot pie with gravy,veggies,potatoes with a nice crust over the top.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I guess I'm different. My favorite way was to give them to whoever I was hunting with.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I boil them and pick the meat. Then it goes in a pot pie with gravy,veggies,potatoes with a nice crust over the top.

redhawk
    similar to 'my way'.

slow cooker.
    separate the meat.

strain the 'stock' to make gravy.

dish it up.

plain or with veggies/taters in it and biscuits.

nummy

(i'll admit i do this with lots of critters. squirrel, rabbit, yardbird too old to lay eggs, etc)
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Mold
    I throw them in a slow cooker and cook them long enough to separate the meat off the bones. Then use it to make a pot of white chilli or stew.
    Now if you will excuse me, I need to go get the .22 ready for tomorrow.

I'm A Honcho!
    Boil for ten minutes. Remove from liquid. Let cool. Coat in seasoned flour like you would chicken. Smother in gravy.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Bub
    They sound great. My daughter has a few in the freezer. I think it's time to get them cooking. You guys got me hungry. The pot pie sounds really good.

Moderator Emeritus

I grill/sear them over hot coals until cooked through, they will be tough as nails if you stop there, so I put them in a crock pot with 1/2" of chicken broth, cook/steam until tender, probably takes an hour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My pops was always broke when I was growing up. If we only got one or two we would let them soak in salt water in the fridge overnight. He would take two packs of ramen noodles and boil the noodles in just water. He would then fry up the squirrel meat with the seasoning packets and some butter, drain the noodles and top with squirrel. It may seem about as trailer park as it gets but I love it.

He did something similar with little chunks of deer as well. When my younger brother was in elementary school the teacher asked them on a worksheet to draw their favorite food. “Deer noodles” is what he wrote with a picture of a bowl of brown squiggles. The teacher (uppity city school) was concerned and sent a note home with him asking for an explanation... I think she though it was brains!

Boolit Master

I pressure cook them in a bit of water until tender, but not falling off the bone, then bread and fry them. The old ones take quite a bit longer than the young ones, so you have to be careful to stage them properly so you don't turn the young ones to mush...

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    My pops was always broke when I was growing up. If we only got one or two we would let them soak in salt water in the fridge overnight. He would take two packs of ramen noodles and boil the noodles in just water. He would then fry up the squirrel meat with the seasoning packets and some butter, drain the noodles and top with squirrel. It may seem about as trailer park as it gets but I love it.

He did something similar with little chunks of deer as well. When my younger brother was in elementary school the teacher asked them on a worksheet to draw their favorite food. “Deer noodles” is what he wrote with a picture of a bowl of brown squiggles. The teacher (uppity city school) was concerned and sent a note home with him asking for an explanation... I think she though it was brains!
    No shame in being poor. Some of the nicest most generous people I've ever seen were poor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    No shame in being poor. Some of the nicest most generous people I've ever seen were poor.
    No shame intended! I just thought the “recipe” could use some background context. Many folks these days turn up their nose to ramen noodles so tree rat noodles don’t exactly come across as a delicacy. They just don’t know what they’re missing! Hard to beat the price tag too.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I guess I'm different. My favorite way was to give them to whoever I was hunting with.
    My variation is to even dress them first.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Squirrel stew. Season and flour squirrel pieces including the saddle(ribs). Brown then cover with water(or stock) and simmer until the meat is tender but not falling off the bone. Add onion, carrot, potato and cook until the veggies are tender. Thicken with your choice of thickening agent, I use corn starch slurry. Serve up a big bowl with buttered biscuits on the side! One pot meal and tasty!

Boolit Master
    I found them tasty, but tough. A pressure cooker worked well to start them, then any kind of stew.

I had one one the counter and my mother in law said " What's that?" I was ready for her and stuck it with a fork while squeaking a game call. Just about messed myself and her too!

Thanks to everyone for your replies, some great ideas! Just what I was hoping for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast