Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Sparrow supressor

Boolit Buddy

Sparrow supressor

I just checked the net for 22 LR sub-sonic. I found 2 sources, Aguila at 30 cents a round and CCI at 50 cents per round!! I must have lost my mind, fallen down a rabbit hole, and transported to an alternate universe. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!! I can load my .223 with a couple grains of Red Dot and a 55g cast Lee for about 6 cents. My question is ....does anyone know if firing a subsonic .223 load through the Sparrow suppressor would damage the suppressor? The Sparrow has a monolithic, one piece core so it doesn't look to me as though a low pressure load should damage it, but it's my first experience with suppressors. Any experience out there?

Boolit Buddy
    Not with the equipment you’re using but I’ve been plinking for quite awhile with cans and subs. Ditch the gas check if the bullet normally uses one and let it rip.

Boolit Master

Exactly why I got the High point 9mm last time this happened. Never could get light loads to behave in the 223 but medium level loads are still way cheaper than 22lr at its present price level.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I started doing exactly this.

I use a small pistol primer as well.

But with the cost of primers going up..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I gave this the same thought. Other than buying some CCI quiets for shooting squirrels it gets pretty expensive plinking steel target with subsonic 22 LRs. I can go thru 100 easy in an afternoon of playing around.
    I shoot a Contender a lot and have thought of getting a barrel in a small capacity case like a 218 Bee or 22 Hornet with a 1 in 7 twist and shot 70 - 80 grain boolits subsonic.

Boolit Master
    The sparrow should be fine, It's rated for .22 hornet. I don't shoot GC's through my cans, but others do without issues.

Uncorking pressure (the bore pressure as the bullet exits the muzzle) is a much bigger deal than chamber pressure as far as cans are concerned, both for noise mitigation and to prevent damage. For .223 subsonic, use a few grains of a fast powder, and work up slowly to find the sweet spot. The can will handle it just fine.

The faster the powder, the lower the uncorking pressure for the same MV, as a rule of thumb.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the info. It was what I was looking for