Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first primers now powder all gone

Boolit Master

first primers now powder all gone

I guess I been asleep at the wheel.
    I know what's been going on with primers, out of stock everywhere and scalpers on gun broker actually getting $250/1000
    but just today realized there's no powder to be had either, none, all out of stock, powder Vally has only some alliant 50 available and a couple other super slow powders like some 8000, same story over at mid south and midway.
    now I'm wondering just how much a pound of varget is worth to someone who just has to have some.
    any thoughts on what things might be like after jan 20th.

I was on gunbroker looking at cap and ball revolvers and noticed reloading components being sold for outrageous prices. A 1 lb. can of Titegroup had been bidded up to $130.... really crazy.

Boolit Master
    I think I just might have a bottle of titegroup, be more than happy to take $130 for it. might just be time to tidy up the reloading room.

Boolit Master
    A month or so ago I picked up an 8 lb. jug of 4064 at a LGS because I was loading .30-06 cartridges for my boys to hunt deer with and my supply of that powder was kinda low. At that time he had NO primers of any type but still a modest selection of powders on his shelf.

His was the third shop I tried - the first two had no primers, very little powder, and no 4064 in stock.

I was looking at powder on-line just last night, trying to get a sense of where the market is heading. I found a couple of different fast "trap load" shotgun powders available at a couple of retailers. That was it. I didn't see any rifle powders in stock anywhere, or any powder that would be well suited to loading full-power "service" loads in 9mm or other pistols.

Everything I've seen over the past month or two indicates the shortage is getting wider and deeper. I'm more and more convinced that this ammo drought will be the worst yet - maybe since the 1940s.

And no, I wasn't around to see that one! My kids will tell you I'm old - but I ain't that old.

I'm sure glad I found that jug of 4064 when I did. It's a very flexible powder, useful (if not ideal) in a wide range of cartridges. Eight pounds should keep my hunting rifles going for a long time.

A couple more points worth mentioning:

Shotshells for hunting - with 4, 5, or 6 shot for rabbits, squirrels, pheasant and the like - are getting pretty scarce. There may still be a few to be had in the stores but I don't expect that to last. Two or three boxes of high-brass #6 loads could keep a guy hunting for the pot for a long time.

Finally, last night in my internet searches I found j-words for rifles in about the same place powder was a month ago - picked-over and diminished stock but not completely gone. If you use j-words for any of your rifle loads you might want to think about that...

Uncle R.

Boolit Bub
    I held out to see about an 8lb. Jug of 4064, passing up the 1 lb jugs. Never got it and now wishing I had got the 1 lb jugs as now they too are gone. Lesson learned.

It will get worse . Waiting to see what happens in Georgia and who Biden selects as AG.

This was all predictable, and yes, I expect it to get worse. It's happened before, except not with true lunatics maybe about to get into the Whitehouse. That will make it like nothing we've ever seen before. And it's been this way, though maybe not as bad as today, for quite some time. I lucked out due to timing more than anything else, and bought a LOT of powder a few months ago, primers before that. The powder wasn't easy to find but when I found it it wasn't in 1# cans but 8# at a time. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I sorta figured what was coming due to what I was seeing in my shopping. A few months before that it was black rifle components; anything low to medium end was gone and many high end components were as well.

I was wrong about one thing though. I told the folks at my LGS that "In a month those walls will be empty.". So far their suppliers have been able to keep up with the high volume sales that that tiny shop does. Not so ammo though, they were rationing it the last time I was there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I think I just might have a bottle of titegroup, be more than happy to take $130 for it. might just be time to tidy up the reloading room.
    I've go an unopened 8 lbs jug and would be willing to let it go for the low price of $799.

Boolit Master
    I'm not at all surprised and not unprepared . I've been through several shortages and learned my lesson a long time ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think Brownells had H4350 and Varget last night. I am sure its all gone by now.

LGS has some powder. Surprised yesterday, they had one 1 lb container of 4759. $30. Still there.

No powder or no primers in stores and they sell for well over 5 or 6 times the retail price? Gee I wonder where the supply is going?

People are going to lurk to purchase supply as it becomes available on retail sites for the simple reason that the resale value is immensely profitable. That removal of retail supply makes it difficult for consumers to get supplies at "normal" prices which encourages them to pay the premium prices being charged at auction sites. If you walked into a store and saw limit two containers of any powder per day would you buy the couple of pounds you need? An eight pound jug and one pound of some other powder? Or two eight pound jugs of anything good?

We are the market, the supply is available at a finite rate, and the efficiency of just in time delivery removes the need for large stockpiles. Once the supply chain gets overwhelmed and available supply sucked off the shelves the supply won't keep up until we simply don't have room or money to buy more. I was going to buy a box of LRP to bring my inventory up a bit to recognize another LRP caliber was now being loaded for. I checked at a couple or three stores. When I saw the short supply at first store I am darn sure I would have bought two boxes not one if they didn't have a limit of 500.

It doesn't matter what causes the initial surge that overwhelms a supply element, once started it just has to run its course. A mass shooting, an election, a bill proposed in congress, a fire in a powder plant, or a pandemic sure to bring about the apocalypse. Once we start all going for the limited stock on hand.... it always ends the same way. Internet just insures we all hear the stories or shop at the same stores.

I recall after Sandy Hook watching the press I was looking at sell out from a dozen available while I double checked the model number to make sure it was the right one. You couldn't find a hand gun or 12 gauge pump shotgun when the pandemic hit in early spring. Our sport doesn't have the inventory to absorb a sudden increase in people all over thinking home defense and need to make own ammo because civilization is going to fall apart. Follow that with an upcoming election, follow that with a Democratic win.... Surprised primers aren't being sold individually the way AP 5.56 ammo was for a bit. Forget how much a stripper was going for at gun show but better than a buck a round.

Reminds me I want to help grandson pay off his student loan, think I will sell a box of 223 ammo, 300 loose primers, and a rusty old die Pretty sure I can retire to someplace tropical with ocean breeze if I can just figure out where the heck I put those Lee wack-a-mole loaders. Oh wait I bought those for my own post apocalypse survival, how can I sell them? Maybe I could haul those MEC and Pacific presses in my Mad Max buggy!

Last edited by RogerDat; 12-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Things will be back, it just takes a while to catch up. Stock up when you can and stack it deep and you'll never be out. I will be 80 before I run out of things to shoot, even if I don't have the materials to shoot exactly what I want.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I guess I been asleep at the wheel.
    I know what's been going on with primers, out of stock everywhere and scalpers on gun broker actually getting $250/1000
    but just today realized there's no powder to be had either, none, all out of stock, powder Vally has only some alliant 50 available and a couple other super slow powders like some 8000, same story over at mid south and midway.
    now I'm wondering just how much a pound of varget is worth to someone who just has to have some.
    any thoughts on what things might be like after jan 20th.
    Varget was getting scarce (in my area) three months ago.
    I went to a local gun Show in September, I usually have a table there, but didn't want one this year. One vendor (who I know) that usually only sells gun cleaning stuff, surprisingly had some "vintage" primers on his table for inflated prices, he also had 3 soda bottles with powder in them, hand written label said "Varget one pound $50". I looked at other vendors tables with powder and none of them had any Varget.

After Jan 20 ???
    It'll be worse, Biden will likely announce his desire to Ban the scary black rifles. Have you looked at AR-15 clones lately? The lowest priced guns that were $399 in 2019 are now $700. When Biden starts talking about them, they'll be $1500 or more. A great investment
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My grandfather, a fellow who lived in three different centuries (I only knew him in two, and I came along with he was about 54) and was healthy in every way right to the last, had to pay $20 for a box of 30-30 ammo during WWII. He was hiring laborers right before WWII for $5 per day, but once WWII was under way wages quickly became confused and rose, as demand for labor began to markedly increase. (He was too old for WWII but logged a lot of yellow birch that went to Garand stocks as his grandson later logged yellow birch that went to a mill that made M14 stocks. Three of the old guy's sons carried Garands from France to Germany however.) It's my belief that reloading ammo was not very widely practiced until after WWII. If Biden appointments that touch on the Second Amendment issues go the way of recent appointments that will impact natural resources industries such as mining, forest management, and petroleum then we may well see people begin to hide their guns. We could also see some states parse themselves out as Second Amendment sanctuary states, and what is the new normal could devolve from there. The passing away of RBG, and subsequent replacement by the Trump Administration and the US Senate, could allow a Bill of Rights bridge to a better time. The two Senate races that conclude early next month are an important benchmark. This is all very new, and the future is always uncertain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just saw on GB, 5 lbs of Unique for $415 plus $45 shipping. Has 28 bids and 28 minutes left.
    Don Verna

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Just saw on GB, 5 lbs of Unique for $415 plus $45 shipping. Has 28 bids and 28 minutes left.
    It’s getting crazy out there again. Hopefully y’all have been slowly storing away since the last time this happened and if you haven’t now is not the time to buy.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    <SNIP>
    It doesn't matter what causes the initial surge that overwhelms a supply element, once started it just has to run its course. A mass shooting, an election, a bill proposed in congress, a fire in a powder plant, or a pandemic sure to bring about the apocalypse. Once we start all going for the limited stock on hand.... it always ends the same way. Internet just insures we all hear the stories or shop at the same stores.
    <SNIP>
    Exactly.
    Well stated!

It's as predictable as sunrise.
    If the supply chain is disrupted - by any cause or for any reason - people try to secure their future supply by stocking up. Demand increases, and the feedback loop that results insures the shortages will continue until everyone has all they can use, afford or store.

It's just human nature, and wishing or complaining won't change a thing.

The speculation and "price gouging" that inevitably result from shortages are a normal free market response to scarcity, and help to not only ensure that product remains available, but also to direct the supply to those who need it most.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Buy what you can when you can. Don’t let people be able to say “I told you so”, when there’s nothing available.

Boolit Master

I was at a shop one day when ammo first started getting in short supply. A guy came in and ordered 128 lbs of the same powder. Likely more powder is being stockpiled than shot up in the last few months.
    Last edited by perotter; 12-10-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: gr

Boolit Master

Some of us learned from previous shortages. I will count myself in that number.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast