RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first primers now powder all gone

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    I was at a shop one day when ammo first started getting in short supply. A guy came in and ordered 128 lbs of the same powder. Likely more powder is being stockpiled than shot up in the last few months.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. He bought at retail very likely with the knowledge he could sell off any "surplus" for a healthy profit. Thus the other people showing up may find none in stock which will encourage them to scramble around and either buy extra due to the difficulty of securing what they needed for themselves buy more to resell the "extra".

Those of us who recall the gas shortages in the 70's know that you could only buy gas on odd dates if your license plate ended in an odd number, or even numbered dates if you had an even plate number. After the shortage some researchers realized that gasoline consumption based on miles driven went down not up and overall production and gasoline sales remained above a fairly static consumption BUT much of that production was in all the tanks getting topped off every other day or stored in our garage or trunk in gas cans. We thought there was a shortage so the we "over bought" and the amount of fuel available was plenty to meet demand it just wasn't at the gas station to be purchased. We by doing what was best for ourselves as individuals made our collective situation worse because of course with every gas station that sold out prices rose on the remaining supplies. Prompting more purchases because the "smart move" was to stockpile more since it was essential and in short supply.

Sound familiar?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about. He bought at retail very likely with the knowledge he could sell off any "surplus" for a healthy profit. Thus the other people showing up may find none in stock which will encourage them to scramble around and either buy extra due to the difficulty of securing what they needed for themselves buy more to resell the "extra".

Those of us who recall the gas shortages in the 70's know that you could only buy gas on odd dates if your license plate ended in an odd number, or even numbered dates if you had an even plate number. After the shortage some researchers realized that gasoline consumption based on miles driven went down not up and overall production and gasoline sales remained above a fairly static consumption BUT much of that production was in all the tanks getting topped off every other day or stored in our garage or trunk in gas cans. We thought there was a shortage so the we "over bought" and the amount of fuel available was plenty to meet demand it just wasn't at the gas station to be purchased. We by doing what was best for ourselves as individuals made our collective situation worse because of course with every gas station that sold out prices rose on the remaining supplies. Prompting more purchases because the "smart move" was to stockpile more since it was essential and in short supply.

Sound familiar?
    Analysis is partially correct. Prior to the gas shortage much of the population in the US kept a minimal amount of gasoline in their car tanks. This was driven by culture where cash was short (for some it was reality; never knew we were poor until I went into the USMC). Gas was cheap in Texas at the time, but it was still a significant amount of cash sitting in the car/pickup gas tank. We often would collect change from friends to put enough gas into a vehicle to go to the Drive In. Much of the population shifted their Gas Patterns after the Gas Lines; keeping more fuel in the Car/Pickup. This cultural shift resulted in permanent change for many; I still fill any vehicle that is down more than 1/4 from full. I also have 1000 Gallon Propane Tanks at the houses instead of 500 gallon propane tanks that are standard for the same reason.

I am betting that we will see this same trend occurs with ammunition and components when we come out of this shortage (If we do come out of the shortage, and do not instead see rise of an Authoritarian Government/attacks on the 2nd Amendment and buying and selling of Ammo & components etc..; or worse tremendous Social Strife).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Sound familiar?
    Yup. When I overheard that happening, after a moment of 'wow' my next thought was I should 8 to 16 lbs of powder. But having a good personal stock and being able to DIY it, my calmer thoughts prevailed and didn't buy any.

But in a couple of previous weeks I happened to be in Fleet Farm when ammo came in. I did buy several boxes of 9mm in case a couple of young guys I know hadn't found any for their newly and first purchase of a pistol. As they had found some, I am still sitting on that.

At the time that gas shortage, I lived on the farm in an important ag area. So we had unlimited gasoline and diesel any time we wanted it. I don't think even the people who lived in the small towns there were on the odd/even plan.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t mean to imply we should start hoarding great quantities, but it makes sense to have a reserve and a healthy one at that. I buy most of my gun stuff online. Unless there is free shipping, I always add some powder or primers to the order, if available, to bring down the average cost of the shipping. With time I have built up a stock, so I don’t worry as much as some do about shortages. In the long term if laws and regulations change, then we’re all up the creek.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Decent prices too!!! I would stock up if I needed anything. Even if you have no primers now, it makes sense to have powder on the shelf.
    Don Verna

Midway and a few others have consistently had powders throughout.... Maybe not everything you WANT, but I've seen enough to not be completely panicked about it.

ammoseek.com and other search sites like it are your friend...…...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I was in a LGS today that had quite a bit of powder on the shelf for the small store it is. I didn't take inventory of what powders they have but I remember a few. They have universal, bluedot, hp38, tightgroup and quite a few others including some rifle powders. I didn't check prices as I have no need for more powder. Just guessing but they must have 75 to 100lbs in stock. They have two flats of 50 bmg primers but very little ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

My first “shortage” was probably 25 years ago, bought a .22 revolver so I could practice my PPC shooting during a primer “shortage“. Never again. I don’t have a huge stockpile but at this point I hope I live long enough to shoot it all up. Loaned a thousand primers to a friend and you’d think I’d given him a new pickup.

Mike
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I have jest started to use primers from the chiton scare of the 90's .powder ihave been buying so much. at auctions . bp I have two unopened kegs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12