RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-20 lead pot doesn't hold 20lbs

4-20 lead pot doesn't hold 20lbs

Has anyone besides me noticed that the Lee 4-20 lead pot only holds about 16lbs?

I've long suspected it. Recently I've been working with some pure lead weights that weigh in at 7lb 14oz. 2 of them pretty well fill the pot.

Then when I cast it down to where the stream slows down, it takes about 13 pounds to refill it.

No biggie, just an observation,

Mine holds about 18lb if if fill it right up still good for the money

Boolit Master
    Old News. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I usually leave about an inch in my pot when I am done. Then my first fill is 15 pounds. After that, I put in 10 pound batches and finish it with sprues.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Never really thought about it.
    Guess my 20-1 alloy is more like 15-1.

Banned
    Kind of like a 2x4 only being 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 LOL

Yep...20lbs of lead would equal a hot mess.

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Lee was using Metric?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

4-20 lead pot doesn't hold 20lbs

Don’t have mine handy to measure but they advertise it as 4” dia x 4.5” deep. That is 0.032 cu ft. At 700 lb/cu ft at 60F, that is just over 22 lbs slap full of cold lead. The density decreases at higher temp (not sure it drops enough though to account for the actual weights we are seeing though).

~5 lbs/in of height if dia is 4”
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 12-09-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I never weighted mine. Maybe it can get close to 20 lb with pure lead?

Boolit Master
    You just gotta stack it up a little more in the middle.

Boolit Master
    It might hold 20# of pure if perfectly level, but it'd be so full you wouldn't be able to dip a spoon in it, let alone flux, stir and skim dross.

Mine's a feeder pot now, mounted over a ProMelt. Between the two and starting topped off to a practical and what I consider a safe level, I can cast a bit under 40# before I have to add an ingot, but I never do that, adding sprues, rejects and new ingots on the go. That makes the casting pot essentially bottomless (or would that be topless, since I am not ladle pouring?), and the capacity of either pot a nonissue.

Boolit Master
    your all overthinking it... the 20lbs includes the weight of the lead, pot and spout drippings

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    It might hold 20# of pure if perfectly level, but it'd be so full you wouldn't be able to dip a spoon in it, let alone flux, stir and skim dross.

Mine's a feeder pot now, mounted over a ProMelt. Between the two and starting topped off to a practical and what I consider a safe level, I can cast a bit under 40# before I have to add an ingot, but I never do that, adding sprues, rejects and new ingots on the go. That makes the casting pot essentially bottomless (or would that be topless, since I am not ladle pouring?), and the capacity of either pot a nonissue.
    40 pounds is a lot in one session. A couple hours is enough at one time for me. A half hour heat up then about 90 minutes to knock out 6 or 7 hundred bullets and my knees are ready for a break!

Boolit Grand Master
    I still remember the day I stuck one of my three-ish pound angle iron ingot in my 4-20. I knew it would be close to the top, then suddenly the ingot started self-feeding.

As the liquid lead started flowing over the edge I finally got hold of the remains of the ingot with a set of water pump pliers and pulled it out. This is not a fault of Lee's, but my own inattention that caused a bit of excitement.

After that I made sure the level was a low enough that it could take the volume of the whole ingot when I added more.

Robert

Bottom pour has hardware taking up space inside the melt, that space reduces the amount of lead. I think my 4-20 production that is for ladle casting gets pretty close to 20 lbs of plain lead but at that point it is too full to easily work with. So I guess I'm probably only working with 16 pounds or so most of the time.

Not an issue because I don't mix alloys in the casting pot as a rule. Alloys are made in big batches and poured into ingots. Big batches are more consistent. Each ingot I add changes nothing but the temperature. Unless I pre-weigh two alloys to mix in a batch. Have done that once or twice to cut Lyman #2 a bit.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    40 pounds is a lot in one session. A couple hours is enough at one time for me. A half hour heat up then about 90 minutes to knock out 6 or 7 hundred bullets and my knees are ready for a break!
    Action pistol uses a lot of rounds; 20-30K a year in practice and matches is typical. Needing lotsa boolits, I cast what I need for a few months in marathon sessions over a week so that forty pounds would only be about 2K of the 10K planned. So it's more a matter of have to than want to.

Anyway, with an 8 cavity aluminum MP mold and efficient technique I can empty the pots in a bit more than two hours so it's not too bad.

Boolit Master
    I always assumed it was catalogged by a dyslexic typist, and the real name was supposed to be 20 -4.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Old news.

Just keep some spare alloy ingots on your electric hotplate at ~15°F below your alloy's liquidous temp to add to your pot and you will never run it low. I sure do not worry about it not holding 20# of Pb, and that varies based upon what alloy you are melting. I just fill it to 1" of the top and keep adding those feed ingots when it reaches about 30% full.

Works for me and has for many years!

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Old news.
    Evidently not old news for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I sure do not worry about it not holding 20# of Pb
    Promise, I haven't lost a wink of sleep about it. Just thought it was odd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast