Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pid ?

Pid ?

I finally took the plunge and got an Inkbird PID kit from Amazon. I want to use it between both of my pots and the toaster oven for the PC. I'm putting a panel mount socket in the box so I can plug in each piece of equipment as needed. My question is, can I use regular copper wire to connect the socket to the PID or does it take something special?
    I did screw up and pick up spare TC's that were only good to 400c. I'm thinking 600 would be better. No big loss however. I'm going to buy another PID kit and install it on my home built smoker at camp so I don't have to move my $220.00 Auber controller back and forth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1209200749.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	272922
    Last edited by Doubles Shooter; 12-09-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master

Just cut a piece of the cable off of the TC and use that to hook up that panel socket. You need that special wire not a copper one.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

If you have a Type K TC you will need to use Type K wire. You will also need to use a Type K TC socket to plug you sensor into.

Yes, They are K-type. I really don't have need for the TC that came with the PID so I'll sacrifice it's wires. Plug and go will make it easier to swap between units. Thanks

I did the same thing with my PID to make it "portable" I sacrificed a foot of K-type wire from the end of my 6ft sensor for the connection from the PID to the connector. It works just fine. You just have to make sure the bare metal braiding doesn't touch either wire when you have it hooked up. (if you're original sensor had the braided outer sheath.)

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Typically, you want as few connections as possible with thermocouple wire in a PID system. I wired mine direct, I even removed the crimp lugs as that is also a connection. But with our applications, we don't need to preciseness that these PID systems can deliver. I mention this, Because many here have done what you plan to do with a receptacle and plugs...Just be sure to be extra careful when connecting the thermocouple wire at each connection, because each one can become a problem. Also know, if you end up getting
    some wonky temp readings with your finished unit, be sure to investigate your thermocouple connections.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I used regular copper wire to my TC plug on my pid box. Works just fine

Boolit Master
    I'm not savvy with electrical stuff: are you talking about wiring to house current or to the probe itself?

Isn't the same bimetal wire used for all K type probes, and it's the insulating cover material on it that's rated for different operating temperatures? So, plastic covering the wire for lower temps, fiberglass for higher, and stainless steel braid and solid metal tubing around the probe tip for molten lead?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    I used regular copper wire to my TC plug on my pid box. Works just fine
    I did that for a while as well, matching the wire gauge and equal lengths as close as possible. Although it worked, every source I found and read assured me the same type wire as the thermocouple was/is required. Since my thermocouple was already shorter than I preferred, I had to buy 3 feet of k-type wire to get the 6-8 inches I needed. I can't say that it made any difference, but it provided me with piece of mind since I also use my PID for salt bath annealing and an over temp can be many boo koo dangerous.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Got my first PID built and running. Got lucky and didn't have fire or sparks when I powered it up the first time. Still have to finish the bracket to hold the probe in the pot.

I built this one with the thermocouple hard wired to the PID because I plan to use it on my smoker at camp when I get the second PID built with with plug in TC's In the meantime I'm going to use on my pot.

Name:	1214201229.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	2732328

Name:	1214201229a.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	273233
    Last edited by Doubles Shooter; 12-14-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: content

Boolit Master

looks good. is that a home built project box?

I wish I had built a dual PID now after seeing how well these things control temps. I may have to build another or see if I can retro fit mine with a second pid. It’s kinda amazing how quickly those boxes fill up with components n connectors.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post
    .....Still have to finish the bracket to hold the probe in the pot.
    I use a piece of plumbers tape (metal strapping with holes in it) to hold my probe 1/2" from the bottom of the pot and 1/2" from the side. It is attached to the pot with one of the screws on the top of my Lee pot.

Simple, cheap and easy to bend.

Yes. Just used scrap I had laying. I've been saving that aluminum for 40 years. I knew I would need it some day. The top and bottom is scrap Luan with 1x lumber on the sides.

I like a carry handle...

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    I like a carry handle...

I like that idea. Also the switched outlet. Nice work.

Boolit Master

Stewbaby, great idea for a project box and internal storage for the thermocouples to boot.

How are you handling the internal heat build-up. Not seen in pic vent holes or do you open the lid?

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Stewbaby, great idea for a project box and internal storage for the thermocouples to boot.

How are you handling the internal heat build-up. Not seen in pic vent holes or do you open the lid?
    Just running a Lee pot so the 700watts don’t put enough load on the SSR for heat to be a concern from my experience.

Don’t pick on my wiring too much lol

Boolit Master

looks pretty clean to me.

Boolit Master
    Good looking boxes.

Is there a possibility for,say, an old casting pot to prematurely age up and break because of all that quick on/off switching when using a PID?

I value my old RCBS Pro Melt quite a bit. They are not being made the same any more. I have a couple of PID:s but I didn't connect them after all...

Boolit Master

I'd think the opposite. It seems to me the failure of heating elements are usually related to prolonged full on operations. In my childhood I recall a friends parents opening the oven door and running it full on in an effort to stay warm during a rare low teens cold front in Florida. Eventually it went into 'arc welder' mode.

I look forward to seeing what an expert would have to say though.