WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: The Venerable 1911

Banned

The Venerable 1911

I thought you folks might enjoy this video:

Boolit Bub
    Very cool video. John Moses Browning was indeed a prolific armaments genius as evidenced by the numerous mfrs of his designs and his enduring legacy in modern firearms. I love my Les Baer Custom 1911 which I carry every day in the TX Not-Summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA637377-A473-40E4-AF1D-823E51AB11BF.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	273041

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks for posting!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Great video.

General’s Dickinson and Wood passed on purchasing serial numbers 8 and 10 for $15.00 in 1911? And those guns are worth an estimated $100,000 to $200,000 today. What were they thinking at the time?

Maybe they were thinking this bottom feeding shell shucking contraption will be a passing fad.

The first Army contract was for 30,000 1911’s. Colt’s sold 110,000 Single Action Army’s in the ten years preceding the 1911.

Maybe these General’s were going to stick with their SAA’s.

I think it is interest that Cavalry troops are mounted on horseback carried the 1911.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Great video.

General’s Dickinson and Wood passed on purchasing serial numbers 8 and 10 for $15.00 in 1911? And those guns are worth an estimated $100,000 to $200,000 today. What were they thinking at the time?

Maybe they were thinking this bottom feeding shell shucking contraption will be a passing fad.

The first Army contract was for 30,000 1911’s. Colt’s sold 110,000 Single Action Army’s in the ten years preceding the 1911.

Maybe these General’s were going to stick with their SAA’s.

I think it is interest that Cavalry troops are mounted on horseback carried the 1911.
    It is an interesting comparison between a Colt single action and a 1911. Reminds me of trying to convince my father to buy a color TV or an automatic transmission car. People are afraid of change.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the major reasons for the Army's requirement of the 45 caliber was the cavalry board's dissatisfaction with the 38 colt. It's a bit funny to remember now, but in the early 1900's the Cavalry was still a major part of the army's strategic planning. Their voice was loud when the time came to pick a new sidearm. As late is 1910, the Cavalry board was still expressing their preference for a revolver, noting that the 1910 Colt could not be easily made safe on horseback, while the Savage was too fragile. ( Recall that the Army had ordered roughly 20,000 Colt New Service Revolvers in a peculiar large-rimmed version of the venerable Colt 45 cartridge, as an interim handgun to help deal with the Juramentados during the Philippine insurrection.) The revised 1911 met the Infantry Board's desires and the Cavalry was dragged into the 20th century. Consequently, the 1911 was adopted and served with distinction for the next 70+years. And is still held in reserve, or so I have read.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The Vis Radom was equipped with a decocker for use by the cavalry.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Generals Dickinson and Wood didn’t spend $15.00 for the earliest 1911’s, Lt. George Patton paid $50.00 for a silver plated ivory stocked Colt’s SAA in 1916.

Boolit Master

Actually the .38 Colt's had failed miserably in the Philippine insurrection and the Army was looking for a heavy hitter to replace it. The .45 caliber had worked well in the Indian Wars so they decided to go back to it but in a more modern service pistol than the old single action Colt. Browning had the answer as always. The worlds armies were going semi-auto and the U.S. army wanted to keep pace. Siomple solution. james

Boolit Master

Great video! Thankyou for sharing. Loved the education.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.