Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: great tool

Boolit Master

great tool

After spending the weekend trimming, chamfering and reaming case necks on a bunch of brass that i was given . My hands were killing me using that small 1 piece tool , I wondered into Cabelas and happened across the Hornady case prep duo, well the hurting hands got the best of me and I bought one. this is the best thing sense girls went back to short shorts. hands don't hurt any more and I am done getting my brass ready to use. If you haven't tried one I would suggest giving it a try I love mine now.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 12-08-2020 at 10:41 PM.

I bought the FA version with the trimmer as it was on sale a while back. Man I kick myself for not having done that YEARS ago!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Got a link or picture?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    I tripped into both a Forster and Lyman manual crank type, they are set up so one does inside and the other does the outside. For the amount of brass I prep at any one setting these work for me. just haven't had the need to go the powered route.

https://www.natchezss.com/forster-de...eparately.html
    https://www.natchezss.com/lyman-case-care-kit.html

I use a prep and trim centerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F03F62F4-5F8C-4232-9166-93175C4BB42B.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	272967
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Deakota57 View Post
    I use a prep and trim centerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F03F62F4-5F8C-4232-9166-93175C4BB42B.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	272967
    Same one I bought.... Holy cow, what a nightmare turned pleasure with brass prep!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Thank you.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Banned

i have the too tools just like those that you could chuck up in your drill. Mine have done many thousands of peices of brass and are starting to dull. I cant find then anywhere. Guess im going to have t buck up and buy one of these.

Boolit Master
    Wife and I stopped at an estate sale yesterday afternoon. Found a forester case trimmer with no pilots for $10.00 found an old sewing machine that the motor works along with the foot control for free . wife looked at me like I'm nuts but I have visions of a powered trimmer in my head. Keeps me out of her way .

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a Forester trimmer with the handle removed and an adapter so I can use a drill to turn the shaft. Been doing this for decades. Trim and sometimes have neck reamed with this setup.

Trails4u , I take it , that you don’t like it. I know it isn’t like hand a preparation with the brass. Let me know what all you are having problems with.

Quote Originally Posted by Deakota57 View Post
    Trails4u , I take it , that you don’t like it. I know it isn’t like hand a preparation with the brass. Let me know what all you are having problems with.
    Brass prep -- yeah, not my favorite part of the game. But as for the FA Platinum, man I absolutely love that thing!! The cutter is super sharp, no chatter at all, chamfer and debur tools sharp and smooth as well. Just a touch for a second or two and primer pockets are shiny clean (a step I didn't often do before). I know some folks have reported issues with the trimmer not being repeatable/accurate, but I've not had any of those issues. Trimming 5.56 brass last night and easily holding +/- .001. It's not completely intuitive to set up, but the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. For anyone doing medium/high volume bottleneck stuff, I'd have to recommend with 5 stars. FWIW -- I've only done maybe 1,000 cases on it, so can't speak to longevity at this point.

tdoor4570, would like a pic of your finished product if it ever materializes, and a little narrative on how you made it and how it works. In my neck of the woods, at times there are free older sewing machines, that work. Years ago after my mother passed, we had a hard time giving away 2.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

I use the standard Lyman chamfer/debur tool and chuck it in my lathe chuck and have at it; then onto the annealer.

Trails4u that was pretty much my opinion. With the Trim and Prep Center. I think it is great, If you are going to do a lot of rounds, saves a lot of time, and does a good job.

Boolit Master

As we get older and more broken down easier tools to use become indispensabile. Personally, the first to go was hand priming using the Lee hand primer which was replaced with a RCBS bench primer. Along the way case chamfering and deburring tasks have been replaced with the Lyman Case Prep Xpress. Yes, it still takes time but not having aches and pains in the hands is worth it.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Gumbo333 got most of everything figured out now it is just to build needed pullys and bolt it together if the motor works like I want it to .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    After spending the weekend trimming, chamfering and reaming case necks on a bunch of brass that i was given . My hands were killing me using that small 1 piece tool , I wondered into Cabelas and happened across the Hornady case prep duo, well the hurting hands got the best of me and I bought one. this is the best thing sense girls went back to short shorts. hands don't hurt any more and I am done getting my brass ready to use. If you haven't tried one I would suggest giving it a try I love mine now.
    just ordered one. No brainer if you hurry. Until dec 31 you can go here https://press.hornady.com/assets/pct...ption-Form.pdf print off the rebate fourm and get a box of free bullets that probably cost 2/3s as much as the tool.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Master

I threaded a nut on the cutter of my Forester trimmer and use my screw gun to power trim.
    I deburr on my Lyman Case prep tool.
    No more tired hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast