Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: At what price point do you stop shooting?

Boolit Grand Master

I stop buying when panic buying starts. If someone wants to buy at those prices they need ammo worse than I. I can shoot all I want; this ain’t my first rodeo.

Mike
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I have cut back on the volume of shooting somewhat.
    I thought I stocked up pretty well, somehow got caught short on SPP - must be all the 9mm I loaded for family.
    The airguns come out more often, thinking about AirSoft to get trigger time.
    I need to keep an eye out for more black powder and caps I guess.
    I never really considered that a huge jump in primer price is a fairly small jump per box of reloads.
    I also noticed there is quite a variance in "normal" primer prices; I saw prices of ~$25 per brick - normal here in central Ohio has been $40-45
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I stop buying when panic buying starts. If someone wants to buy at those prices they need ammo worse than I. I can shoot all I want; this ain’t my first rodeo.

Mike
    Which is exactly what the law of demand says most of us will do.

I'm with you. I could shoot all the rifling out of my guns before I run out of components, so I'm not paying panic prices, either.

ADMIN

I have limited the shooting of ammo that I don't reload with the exception of 22 LR.
    I think I could get a belt fed 22 lr machine gun and would still take a few years before I ran out.

Are you a betting person?

Not to go into Politics (and PLEASE DON'T or I will move this thread to the pit), with the way things are going, I suspect that ammo and items required to make ammo will be in short supply for at least the next 4 years or more.
    The best thing you can do right now is limit your shooting even if you have a pile of supplies and see how this next year goes.
    I did sell 5K CCI primers last month to a friend that was out of primers and was unable to do any pistol matches. He set the price.
    But other then that, there will be no more selling or giving away loaded ammo any more.
    A couple years ago, I gave away 500 rd ammo cans of 125 gr LRN 38sp to my friends so we could take our kids shooting.
    That won't be happening any more because at this point, I don't know if I can replace the primers or powder.

NEVER!!! Kidding aside I stopped shooting 22's during the Obama era due to the difficulty of replacing my stocks. Now we have the second coming of the administration I am considering a quality pellet gun to keep my skills up and preserve my 22 stocks yet again

I've cut back a little, but I aint shot large quantities for a couple years. Been sick this year. I have more rifle primers, so I started doing a little more 30-30 shooting to balance it out. Right now I have a comfortable two years and a stretched 4. I'm still looking for primers.

To answer the question, I think I'd pay 55.00 now, and if normal jumped to 75.00 I'd still shoot as normal. I don't burn ammo normally, I keep in form and shoot for my own enjoyment. I don't compete.

I suspect that ammo and items required to make ammo will be in short supply for at least the next 4 years or more. .[/QUOTE]

Man i hope you are wrong ..... but fear you are right !!!!!! I have enough for a good stretch , but not to shoot like i really want . Some times i feel the need to just go wild and blow off a lot of rounds ......... that won't be happening again for a while .

Well I'll keep shooting my reloads as and when I feel up to it.
    But I am not shooting any more of the factory loads I have stashed.
    They are in theory worth too much to waste.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345