Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die recommendation for K31? Redding or Hornady?

Boolit Buddy

Die recommendation for K31? Redding or Hornady?

Good morning,
    I want to start reloading for my three K-31s as I'm getting low on factory GP11.
    Naturally I want to load cast in them. Been loading cast in .30 caliber rifles for a while without issues so no question regarding casting or load data. Plenty of information already out there.

I have mostly RCBS reloading dies with a few Redding dies that I've used for years.
    Doing my research shows the two most suitably dies for the K-31 is the Redding and the Hornady die sets.
    During my search, I came across a post that suggests substituting a seating stem and sleeve for the .303 British (the Hornady die set) in order to accommodate a cast bullet.

Anybody else having success with this technique?
    As the threads are multiple years old, anybody have experience with recent production Hornady or Redding dies in 7.5 Swiss for their K-31s?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sizing-results

Boolit Buddy
    I have got some 7.5 x 55 Hornady dies sitting quietly in a USPS warehouse and looking forward to them arriving they are the K-31 specific set,Im also shooting cast with My K-31 with great results so will be interesting to see how the Seating dies work with my cast bullets now that you have highlighted the point about the seating stem & sleeve, In the meantime Ive been using the Lee collet die sizer with cast bullets only and have had no issues with chambering the cases even after 8-9 loadings,

Cheers

Boolit Buddy

I'd be curious to hear how the Hornady dies work for you. I'm sure others would be also.

I have a K31 specific die set from C&H. It sizes a fired case such a small amount, I almost don't have to use lube! Of course, I do, since I hate stuck cases.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I've used RCBS, Redding and the Lee collet die. The Lee is really easy on brass, the other tow, didn't really see any difference. Take your pick.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I got a few set of the new generation Hornady's with the sleeve, and they're OK.
    But nothing works for me as well as barely feeling the boolit start into the case,
    then lowering it back down and look to be double sure its going in straight.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Anything but Hornady!

Boolit Master
    I'm using the RCBS with cast bullets, lyman 311359 & lee 309-170 in my k31 with no problems other than that the rounds will not chamber in my 96/11. Apparently the k31's chamber is larger at the shoulder then the earlier models so one needs to keep that in mind if your going to load for others besides the k31.

Boolit Master

Hawkeye...I'm also using RCBS dies and loading for both a K31 AND a 96/11. To date, I haven't had any issue with rounds not chambering in the 96/11. However, I only neck size (Privi brass) and don't try to interchange cases between the two rifles.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Cant speak on other rifle models, but the RCBS works great in my 1954 K31.
    Unlike other rifles that I shoot lead in, and just neck size, I full length resize, for the K31, as I dont want to have to jam the bolt handle forward and possibly bend a part that might be difficult to find a replacement for.
    I figure if I ever by a different model, I will shop for a different set of dies made for that model.

Was having issues with my bullets being too large in the nose area. Bought a 30- 165 SIL mold from RCBS and am pretty happy.
    While the nose casts a little larger than was advertised, a .303 nose, .312 body, with 50 - 50 Linotype / COWW Mix. When sized to .309, and properly seated it just engraves the bullet about .001 on each side of the nose.
    I just now got my scope mounted, and have tried 50 or so rounds. At 50 yards, 5 shots go into about 5/8 inch with an occasional flyer, with 17 grs of 2400. I think it can do better, and if the weather is good, later in the week, I will try another load, and then out to 100 yards. I am in hope that it will stay about 1 inch at 100 yards, when I get everything right. Maybe that is too much to expect, but you have to have a dream..

Boolit Master
    My dozen or so of Swiss rifles are OK with my RCBS dies and the Lyman 311467 and Lee 185 grain 312 RN.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I think its a bad sizer die because they come out about 10 thousandths oversized at the shoulder and yes the die is set properly.

Boolit Buddy
    for my k31 i opted for the lee, however it was not a good fit. i just could not make it work most of the time. i bought redding die set and have never looked back, in fact i love it....so does my k31 !

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lee dies. Just resize about half the length of the neck. Barely open the case mouth with a Lee mouth expander die. No crimp. Keep separate brass for each of my Swiss rifles. I use mild loads in the mid teens velocity with 2400 powder.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the feedback. Got some Redding dies coming from another member here.
    Looking for some boolits from a NOE mold to try out before I buy one. I put a posting up in the boolit exchange.

Boolit Buddy
    Redding.......I shot a mulie with my K31 a couple years ago.Very accurate like 3/4" at 100 yards with GP11 and a 150gr win PSP handload.Wearing a 6x Leupold on a Swiss arms steel side mt.Shoots under and inch with irons as well.Bullet seating depth can be tricky with these guns as they have a match short throat.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Lee dies for all of my Swiss.
    No problems at all.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmad View Post
    I have got some 7.5 x 55 Hornady dies sitting quietly in a USPS warehouse and looking forward to them arriving they are the K-31 specific set,Im also shooting cast with My K-31 with great results so will be interesting to see how the Seating dies work with my cast bullets now that you have highlighted the point about the seating stem & sleeve, In the meantime Ive been using the Lee collet die sizer with cast bullets only and have had no issues with chambering the cases even after 8-9 loadings,

Cheers
    Hi Leadmad, where did you got the hornady k31 dies?

Boolit Buddy
    https://reloadinginternational.com/ they sourced and sent them to me

Incidentally the seating die works a treat with my cast bullets no issues at all

Good luck and Cheers

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Chambers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swiss chambers 2.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	278043
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swiss chambers.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	278044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast