MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Suggestions for a good 458 Win Mag load w/ 450 gr LBT LFN-GC

Boolit Mold

Suggestions for a good 458 Win Mag load w/ 450 gr LBT LFN-GC

Hello,
    I’m looking for a good starting load for a 450 gr. LBT LFN-GC in a Winchester model 70 458 Win Mag. The boolits are sized .458. At the very least powder suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Just start with 45/70 data and work up. You'll probably hit your recoil limit before you get close to the pressure limit. I had a Rem 798 in 458 Win mag, much past 45/70 power levels recoil was just too much.

Boolit Buddy
    Imr Or H brand 4895 is your friend. For the greatly reduced loads [66% or so of max] I find dryer lint works great as a filler. Work your way up to the accuracy & recoil you like. My old 375 Ouch n Ouch, using a 283 gr. GC cast bullet works very nicely loaded like that. I learned about this loading for cast bullets in the big bores from an old target shooter who got a great deal on a 458 Win Mag. It may be too much for your taste.If So find an old lyman reloading book with data for Unique & cast bullets. Much fun to be had w those very mild loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto on the 4895. Win 748 works in mine as well for 420 to 540 grains.

Don

Super Moderator

I would suggest trying some 5744 if you have some or can find any of it. 5744 has worked extremely well for me with cast boolits in some of the larger capacity and magnum type cartridges.

Boolit Mold
    Awesome! Thank you all for the suggestions

Boolit Master

I use 33gn of 4759 under the Lee 450gn. I PC this plain base CB and size to .459” and with my M77 Ruger it is a pleasant to shoot rifle and very accurate combination. Small buck, 220yards measured, bang-flop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D902AD45-872F-459E-82D7-DE0DAEFE09E6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	272977
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I for one will never use the H4895 60% rule again, every caliber I have tried this in has given me hang fires or squib loads, do it at your own peril. I have found 18 to 20 grains of Unique to be a nice usable load with low recoil with outstanding accuracy in both the 405 and 500 grain cast. I did not however reach this level of accuracy till my cast reached .460''. The 300 grain RCBS R/F with 25grain of Unique is also a sub minute of angle load. I also found better accuracy with non magnum primers, especially when using H 4198 with reduced charges, I found the use of CCI mag primers with this powder gave me squib loads and bullets stuck in barrel or just bullets stuck in forcing cone and powder singed into a solid block, yet standard primers gave much better ignition. I know this may not be every ones findings but it was mine for what it is worth. I love my 458 and at 66yrs old I have nothing to prove by hot rodding my loads. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

61.0 grs. IMR 3031 my LFN's weigh 463 grs each.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!