WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Peeking over the front sight

Peeking over the front sight

I can't break the habit. I get a good group going and peek over the sight. Then there is cursing and an occasional foot stomp.

Mrs. Thumbcocker, my spotter, doesn't believe that Olympic shooters curse and stomp during commercials. She also refuses to believe that flyers are caused by anti-gun democrats bent on eroding the morale of the shooting public. I don't know what's wrong with her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

It's mental. Try this:

The target is tomorrow's newspaper that tells the world how you screwed up today. Looking at the target as you shoot is like trying to read a blank sheet of newsprint that has no ink on it yet.

The front sight is the crystal ball that predicts the future of the bullet and will tell you what will be in the newspaper tomorrow.

LOOK AT THE DAMN CRYSTAL BALL!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Mrs Thumbcocker can help with your psychological discrepancy here. Have her watch you shoot and when she notices you looking at the target, she smacks you on top of the head with a rolled up magazine or 2" diameter piece of oak dowel. She'll probably feel like she's helping. I would think it will cause you develop a bad flinch but you'll be cured from peeking. When you develop that bad flinch, PM me and I'll have further advice. Mrs Thumbcocker can help with that too. I suspect she'll watch you shoot often so this is also marriage therapy.

As I'm not doing this professionally here, there'll be no charge for the assistance.

The members here just give and give.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

When I look at my targets, and there is a 'flyer'...... I figure its from some spazo shooting on my target by mistake.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's the barrel--the darned thing has a hole in it and it lets the boolits leak out when your not ready.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    You'll notice that others are helping you look for the cause for your aliment mechanically, where as I'm trying to diagnose the mental. I'd always been told 50% of it is 90% mental.

Oh, and my ex-wife had a Master's in Psychology and used it on me everyday so I know what may help here (true sad story and I supplied a lot of study material so she said).

Again, no charge as I'm here to help.

If I'm wrong then the only other explanation is rintinglen's idea.

Boolit Master
    Naw it’s a matter of timing. When you had the good group going is when you should have stopped.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    Typical of people shooting at close distances.

Try this exercise. Put up a blank sheet of paper with no target about 15-25 yards away (depends how large your bullets are and how bad your eyes are) so you cannot see the impacts. Use light loads so you will not flinch. Put the front sight in the middle of the paper/pie plate and squeeze the trigger. You will not be tempted to admire your shots if you cannot see them.

Your eye will automatically put the sight in the middle of the paper/plate and you will not be as tempted to "catch the bullseye" as you wobble and shake. I used this to teach me trigger control when I shot NRA. You will be surprised at the groups you get.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Banned
    Mrs. Thumbcocker is a bit more preceptive than Mr, Thumbcocker.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 12-06-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Boolit Master

Measure your chambers - the front part. You may have a chamber or two that's wildly different in diameter compared to the others.

Of course, if those are all within about 1-thou' of each other, then the answer is obvious. It's the Commies.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master

With the global warming, unrest, foreign involvement, the earths rotation is out of balance and no longer smooth its jerking causing the target to ,ove faster slower or stop dring the flight of the bullet. The flight is constant once fired its the earths movement thats varying and messing up the works

You should recount that target. After last night you may have done much better than anyone could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The members here just give and give.

Plenty more where that came from!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

When I look over my sights to see how my shots are falling on the target, I unconsciously lift my head and look over the sights before the shot sometimes, and throw a shot high. That does not appear to be what you are doing. You are throwing them low. You are doing something different from me.

Boolit Master

I can't help you but I do admire how you filled in that string of flyers to the left with screw heads! That's some good thinking!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    When I was a firearms instructor on a police dept this one officer always shot 100%. He was a shotgunner. He said it’s all follow through. Your not done when you pull the trigger, you have to follow through your shot. The same applies to a handgun, but us handgunners tend to forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    When I was a firearms instructor on a police dept this one officer always shot 100%. He was a shotgunner. He said it’s all follow through. Your not done when you pull the trigger, you have to follow through your shot. The same applies to a handgun, but us handgunners tend to forget that.
    That hits the nail on the head.

Boolit Master
    I know the peeking feeling well the first shot out of my new sig p210 was dead center on the bull my shooting buddies all yelled "stop don't fire another shot you'll blow it " my next 3 made a clover leaf on that first and I peeked and blew the last one so I did the murmuring stomp dance not unusual for me.