Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: one cavity sticking

Boolit Bub

one cavity sticking

i have MP, 8 cavity, 9mm, 115 gr, one lube groove, beveled base, aluminum mold. made about 2000 bullets so far and now cavity 2 from sprue end is sticking really bad. any suggestion's?

Sometimes they just do that.
    And it'll sort of come and go too.

I'd just clean it well, and make sure there isn't a burr in there somewhere.
    As soft as Alum. is, I wouldn't get violent with it.
    I had a 6 cavity Lee do some of that, I polished it by rubbing the open side of the mold on my blue jeans leg.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You can take a pencil and use the lead to press moderately firm against the cavity edges on each half and it will smooth down any small burrs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Take some 0000 steel wool, and go over the edge of the cavity. It will show you if you have a snag somewhere. Don't be overly aggressive, but you can safely work a mold over with that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have a custom brass mold that has this issue. I have tried burnishing with number 2 pencils, wooden tooth picks and haven't completely worked the issue out. I tried hand spinning a couple bullets with either Bar Keepers friend, semichrome, or Flitz's. Don't remember which it was now. That got me close to a workable solution. Definitely annoying, and definitely work gently and check progress often.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master
    I've had this happen with aluminum molds occasionally. I'll notice something "change" and one particular cavity will get sticky. It's usually after I've been casting for a while. If it continues I'll go up on alloy temp and while waiting for that, I'll look at the mold under a magnifier for any obvious causes. Even though the mold is hot, I'll use a carpenters pencil a chase the parting lines and grooves. Though I rarely smoke a mold, if the sticky cavity won't act right I'll smoke it lighly. Usually changing the alloy temp a little will help get back to where I want to be.

Oddly I've not had a sticky cavity with a brass mold. An issue I've had with MP brass molds would be the pins will not want to turn loose without another tap with the leather mallet. A touch of lube on the pin tips and away I go again.

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed the same effect on several aluminum molds, always in that second from the end position. It usually starts right about when the mold hits what seems to be the ideal temp for the other 5 cavities. Tried burnishing with limited success. What I usually end up doing is calling it a 5 1/4 cavity mold for the rest of the session. Pour into the other 5 until the sticky one lets go, so I don't interrupt the cadence trying to shake the oddball loose. Usually 3 or 4 cycles and it releases.