RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beeswax Replacement/Source

Boolit Master

I've used toilet rings for lube for 35 years with no problems. I've shot 100's of handgun
    silhouette matches pushing a RCBS 165 gr bullet a 2000 fps from my 308x1/5 with no leading.
    I'm older now and have been buying some commercial lube now, but I've used the toilet
    bowl rings for all my cast bullet shooting both handgun and rifle with wonderful results.
    leadhead

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    trapper, bayberry lube was Harry Pope’s favorite lube. I made about 5 sticks of it and is under the work bench. Favorite is mutton tallow blend for smokeless and black powder
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I've used toilet rings for lube for 35 years with no problems. I've shot 100's of handgun
    silhouette matches pushing a RCBS 165 gr bullet a 2000 fps from my 308x1/5 with no leading.
    I'm older now and have been buying some commercial lube now, but I've used the toilet
    bowl rings for all my cast bullet shooting both handgun and rifle with wonderful results.
    leadhead
    Real world experience trumps discussion every time! Just for clarity, same brand the whole time or various?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I think they were different brands.... I remember going to a Big Lots years ago and they had the toilet bowl
    rings for .25 cents each, and I bought all they had. I made molds to make hollow sticks for my RCBS II
    lubber and of course had my "secret" add-ins to put in. Man, I don't know how many sticks I made, but it
    was a bunch. I also made it for a few buddy's I had....... Good times.
    leadhead

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It seems to me that beeswax is getting harder to find and
    Bees are getting harder to find.

Banned
    It would seem to me that as long as the bullet lube accomplishes the job, it doesn't really matter what it is made of.
    Beeswax may be a holdover from the past. It was readily available, worked well and was inexpensive. When those qualities are no longer present, it's time to find a substitute. As much as I like using what is proven to work, when that item become too expensive or too difficult to locate, it's time to move on.

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of getting away from the topic but a shooting and hunting buddy gave me a block of what he called ordnance grade beeswax a while ago. It was about 2 inches thick and maybe 12X16 inches and was much darker than the stuff that I have seen for sale. There were bee parts mixed through it. Come to find out that it was used to seal bombs with at the end of the 1800's and into the 1900's. Its original use did not require the purity that we see in the commercial available stuff that we see now. It makes good smelling smoke when I flux with it!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have a couple of 4x4x2" old square of beeswax. What a delicious smell when melted. Smells good enough to eat! Darker, not pure like today, but still good stuff. By purifying the carp out of modern stuff, they take all the good smells away.

Boolit Master
    Bunch of years back there was a gent in Henderson,Nevada that had a trailer load of old beeswax. Had this big box show up at the house. Aad he said he put some extra in it. Did he ever!. gave some to my daughter who was making soaps at the time and scented candles. Gave some away and what I have is a chunk about 14"x18" and I use a smaller piece to double wax twine for rope splices. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Here is a continuation of the video where lube is made and boolits are pan lubed. As I commented, the interesting part will be how the boolits shoot and how well the lube protects barrels from leading.

https://youtu.be/H8ZOYqkwgxo

I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday. They have beeswax both white and yellow, for $10.50 per pound. They also have paraffin wax 4 pounds for $15.99.

This is in northern IL outside Chicago.

Boolit Grand Master

One more thing I hadn't realized was getting hard to find. I got a big box from Randy a couple of years ago. Used it for lube, wife made some candles out of it and I also made some nice wood finish. Still have half a LFRB of it. Guess I'll melt the candles and save it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

What about soy wax that are used for candles ?? it is an all natural product and it is cheaper than beeswax I believe. I've used toilet ring wax as an additive. I find it is really sticky, so I used it only in a small amount.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12