WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Truglo sights

Boolit Master

Truglo sights

How long are Truglo sights good for? I have a set for S&W M&P that also fits Shield, 22 models, CORE, SD9, and SD40. I was going to post them in the selling section but I don't think so now. I don't remember when I bought them and were green. I have a set on my M&P and am wondering when they will crap out.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    are you talking about the colored, usually red or green, round plastic inserts that are in the sights? ive got some that are probably 20 yrs old and not faded at all. still real bright. got one on my 308mxlr and on an old Winchester 94 with a receiver peep, much better sighting with my old eyes than the fold down rear and brass bead up front.
    ive got tritium sights, I think they are called, and those no longer glow, probably 30 yrs old or more. what a waste of $$$ they were.

got to admit, I see your in Boynton bch, I'm kind of missing Florida warmth past couple days its been in 20's here on edge of smokies and no deer sighted out back yet.

My Tru-Glo sights are still like they were when new - which was 25-odd years ago.

Ditto all (10) my fiber-optic sights from various makers.

AFAIK, the only illuminated sights that die out are the encapsulated tritium handgun night sights.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I wish I could use truglow sights, they last forever. Trouble is fiber optics play tricks on my eyes with optical illusions. I have large collection of S&W revolvers and I hate the Red Ramps on them. I replace with Patridge blades if I’m going to keep them. I do have Ray Bars, Glo Worms and Sun Spots on several 30” FC shotguns. In the woods they are fast to acquire. Had Ithaca 37 slug gun with Flo barely corn front, changed that out in short order. Ithaca started packing a black replacement in last years of 37 production.

I like the Tru-Glo FOT's (Fiber Optic Tritium) as they are best of both worlds. They are extremely bright in direct sunlight, really bright on overcast days, and very hard to miss in total darkness.

The tritium usually lasts for about 10 years but starts deteriorating as soon as it is put in the vials.

Still worth the money for the results you get.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    the half life of tritium is 12.5 years.
    that means that, every 12.5 years, the brightness is reduced by 1/2.

so if the brightness when new is X, in 12.5 years the brightness will be X/2, and after 12.5 more years it will be X/4, etc.

The amount of radiation it produces starts decaying as soon as the tritium comes into existence,
    regardless of if its put in a vial or not.

technically its not the tritium that glows in night sights, the tritium excites the phosphor that lines the glass vial containing the tritium.

EDP: Thanks for the info. Way more than I knew about it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com