Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastco
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane tank connector hose

Boolit Grand Master

Propane tank connector hose

I am looking for a simple hose to connect a couple propane tanks together. Specifically I am looking to use either the 20 lb or 40 lb tank to fill my 5 lb tank. All three have the same valves on them. I need a hose that threads into both tanks to connect them together. I've tried multiple times at the hardware store, and the guys look at me like I have horns growing out of my head. They can't seem to understand that I do not want the 1 lb tank adapter, I want to connect two portable tanks together. I don't need any valves or bleeders, I only need a hose. Can anyone point me in a direction on where to find one, or at least what it would be called. "propane tank hose extension" and "propane tank connector" do not find anything.

Boolit Master
    You won’t have any luck at hardware stores, I also didn’t get much help from propane suppliers. I did find a good selection at. John M Ellsworth company.

I would probably find two old barbecue grills, weed burners etc. cut the hoses and splice with a barb and hose clamps.

To fill your small tank are you planning on turning your full tank upside down? If you just hook them together the vapor will equalize out with very little propane transferred.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Check with the propane suppliers in your area, the ones that deliver to homes and businesses. One thing you may want to consider is a valve to bleed off hose pressure before un coupling. Here 2 hoses with 1 tank end and pope fitting a tee close nipple and valve. Or 2 grill hoses and a coupling.

You will want the tank your filling from to be upside down as this will feed liquid into the tank being filled not gas. This will give a longer lasting fill. Though you wont get a full filling

Boolit Buddy
    Look at a rv dealer. RVs have 2 propane tanks and a dealer should have what you want.

when I refill the 1 pound cans, I have the 20lb upside down. After flow seems to stop, unhook the smaller tank and let some of the vapor out and fill again. The vapor in the tank-to-be-filled keeps the liquid from going in. Also, don't try fill the smaller tank completely; you need some room for expansion.

Boolit Grand Master

I've filled 1 pound tanks before. I don't like it one bit. Those tanks are barely adequate brand new. That's why I bought this 5 pound tank, which is designed to be refilled, with a bleeder and everything. I am hoping to find something online if possible. Not a lot of RV dealers around. Nearest one is a good 30-40 mile drive. I have considered stealing one of a grill, and buying a couple connectors. The problem there is it seems they always have one male and one female end, and I've only ever seen fittings with male threads.

As for the hose bleeder. I understand their safety concern. I regularly fill hydraulic accumulators at work with Nitrogen, and those can run 160 BAR (2320 PSI). I'm not real worried about low pressure propane. Gloves and some safety squints, and cracking the line will bleed it just fine.

Boolit Master
    What recumbent said - Amazon has several options.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I bought one several years ago at Camping world. Used it to fill a propane tractor.

Boolit Master
    Welding Supply is where I got mine. They made up a hose with a POL adapter on both ends. There are tricks to using it though.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Anybody that sells or works on RV travel trailers should have them.
    Lots of those trailers have two tanks up on the front end with the hoses & such you're looking for.
    They should be able to pull one off the display rack and hand it to ya.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Welding Supply is where I got mine. They made up a hose with a POL adapter on both ends. There are tricks to using it though.
    That's exactly what I needed. I looked up propane hose with POL fittings, and the first thing that comes up is called a transfer hose. They sure don't make it easy to find this. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master

I obtained two regulators from cast off barbecues left beside the road. I cut the hoses and connected them with a barbed connector secured with a hose clamp. Probably doesn't meet osha regs, but it doesn't leak.

Am I correct in understanding that the modern valves will not pass liquid? If true, that keeps me from inverting one tank to quickly fill the other.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I think the modern valves are fooled when you turn the tank upside down, because they’re ment to keep from over filling, if the tank is inverted the float stays open and you can get liquid out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I think the modern valves are fooled when you turn the tank upside down,
    They're full of little tricks now days.
    Some companies have some little something in the valve where their tanks can only be filled by them and their special fitting.

You can't refill it yourself off a big tank, and the propane farm place can't fill it either.
    You have to swap it out with a retail store that carries their brand.
    I think 'Blue Rino' is one such company, but I'm not sure.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're full of little tricks now days.
    Some companies have some little something in the valve where their tanks can only be filled by them and their special fitting.

You can't refill it yourself off a big tank, and the propane farm place can't fill it either.
    You have to swap it out with a retail store that carries their brand.
    I think 'Blue Rino' is one such company, but I'm not sure.
    I have filled many Blue Rhino tanks. But you are right! There is a screw that needs to be loosened prior to filling and tightened afterwards.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Any guess on what year the "new" fitting came out? Or were there always variations in designs? I know my 20 lb tank will fill just fine, I've used it to fill 1 pound tanks. I've never tried my 40 lb. Neither are that old, 10 years old tops.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I think the modern valves are fooled when you turn the tank upside down, because they’re ment to keep from over filling, if the tank is inverted the float stays open and you can get liquid out.
    So this means the new style will allow liquid out just fine?

Boolit Master
    5 gal tanks are the ones with new valves. They still have POL on the inside of the new right hand threads and a valve to prevent overfilling.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    So this means the new style will allow liquid out just fine?
    Yes the new tanks with the triangle valve handle, has the (OPD) overfill protection device, it’s a built in float.
    When the tank is right side up, flow of liquid will stop, when 80% full. It doesn’t work if upside down and liquid can come out to fill small tanks.

Now some tanks have another type device that if too much flow exits, like broken line or reg. Failure it will stop flow. That type may be problematic when tank is turned over. Haven’t tried one of those yet.

These are changes from the last decade, meaning to protec the consumer. If you defeated any of these to save a dollar, your on your on.

The screw on the valve you loosen to give you an indicator when tank is at approximately @ 80%.

Now fork lift tanks are a whole different deal, I don’t have access to those.

If you are going to take this on, get a good refillable tank like megasupermagnum and be careful.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds good. My 40 pound tank is a regular portable, just a tall version of the BBQ grill tanks. I've only ever used forklift tanks on forklifts. 80% fill is fine, I think that's what they are all filled to regardless of type now. I figure this 5 pound tank, even if only filled with 4 pounds of liquid, should at least equal 6 green cans, if not more, as I could never fully empty those junk cans. Now I can refill as I please, so I can always go out full. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast