Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Single Shoot

Boolit Buddy
    1. This website has a map of the lower 48 states, that shows hog/wild boar/feral pig density by county.

https://www.csp-inc.org/study-maps-p...-of-wild-pigs/

2. This website gives a summary of hog hunting regulations by state, including out of state licensing costs.

https://www.hogmanoutdoors.com/regulations

3. Buy your self a one year subscription of the hunting online app “ON X Maps”

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt-app?gcl...SAAEgK-afD_BwE

We don’t have feral pigs in my state. But, gaining hunting access is pretty much the same all over the country. Ask politely, and if they say no then ask their neighbor! It’s like going into a bar to meet girls, you have to talk to them, you just can’t stare at them from across the room, and you definitely shouldn’t try to sneak into their “back forty”!

My friend had been offered use of a hunting cabin in an area where we had no experience. The cabin was near area’s that have resident elk herds. The elk can often be found on private timber/farm land down in the river valley. We used “On X Maps” to identify the smaller timber holding companies to ask for hunting permission. The big companies almost all have stated policies online, but the small companies are a mixed bag of yes, no, or only on that part of the property not currently being harvested.

Good luck,
    JM
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 12-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Several hunt clubs in Tx trap hogs and sell them to 'hog' hunt clubs. Some are sold overseas also. Avoid the 'hog' hunt clubs. Hunting 'public' lands here is very dicey.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Several hunt clubs in Tx trap hogs and sell them to 'hog' hunt clubs. Some are sold overseas also. Avoid the 'hog' hunt clubs. Hunting 'public' lands here is very dicey.
    What do you mean dicey? Tough hunting, or dangerous?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I personally saw this when I lived in Middle GA. Hand wringing and moaning about hogs destroying everything. When the idea is mentioned of hunting or reducing numbers, most folks I dealt with got a gleam in their eyes and the talk of money ensued. No thanks. This happened more than once and I have made your very same argument over and over for years. I don't necessarily want to see them get their land destroyed or think they deserve it, but I can definitely see how it's talking out of 2 sides of their mouth.
    Did I come across as though I wanted damage to happen to people? All I meant is that if you have animals tearing up your land, but you don't allow people to trap/hunt your land, then what do you expect to change?

Boolit Buddy
    Down here in Floriduh I've been a volunteer eradicator for the state for 14 years. Costs nothing but the price of ammo. Hogs are donated to a local organization that teaches boys to be men. Kinda funny to drive in and see a half dozen standing there with knives in hand. Funnier to see their reaction to 3-4-5 hogs in the back of the p'up. I work on state preserve lands......there's a hint for some of you.

Banned
    Similar here in California but with the typical left coast twist.

Ranchers and farmers on TV complaining that the hogs are out of control and need to be dealt with. Hunters volunteer their services. Landowners gladly accept their offers of help and charge steep fees for the privilege of helping.

The twist comes with the tree huggers. They won't allow hunting or trapping, even when hogs are rooting up part of Pebble Beach golf course.

That is how our mountain lion exploded out of control and big cats are routinely seen around suburbs.

Steve in N CA

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Either the single shot or the. lever would be just fine for even the largest pigs. With a little practice, a single shot can be almost as fast shooting as a lever gun and definitely faster than a bolt gun. Just keep a round between your fingers for a really quick feed of the single shot. What those farmers are doing is trying to "cut a fat hog" so to speak and that practice is common all over. I have seen it many times in my state usually with farmers complaining about geese or pest elk herds
    A single shot is definitely not faster than a bolt action. Go to the Safari Rifle Challenge sometime, you will think people are shooting semi autos.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It wasn't long ago the great majority of farmers would pay kids to shoot the pigeons out of their barn.

Years ago, we would go in the barns at night, and shine a bright flashlight at the pigeons. They would fly directly to the light. Grab them, stuff them in a burlap sack, and when we had enough, we would have squab with dressing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    waksupi; I can relate, I have on more than one occasion completed rapid multiple kills accurately with a bolt action, Far Quicker than a single shot. Of course not everyone plays a lot with both. I am fortunate enough to be able to. And then again, Practice with a single shot can be quite impressive also. When I was a kid that's all I had. But still feel the bolt is a bit quicker.

Boolit Master

Did I come across as though I wanted damage to happen to people? All I meant is that if you have animals tearing up your land, but you don't allow people to trap/hunt your land, then what do you expect to change?
    No, not at all. I got the point you were making - as I've made it myself over the years for many years.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Interesting argument. One comment I make to people locally that think its their birth-right to hunt on other folks land..........
    "Buy some and hunt on that"

If you ask around enough you may find a farmer/ rancher who may welcome someone who wants his wild hogs controlled, same as with coyotes, turkeys, deer or elk. Or letting people hunt pheasants or waterfowl. Then do something kind to that guy/ family. Give him a nice ham, rib eye, pork loin, lobster tails our shrimp, maybe his favorite booze/ wine. Or a gallon of fresh oysters. This country is filled with kind people.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    Interesting argument. One comment I make to people locally that think its their birth-right to hunt on other folks land..........
    "Buy some and hunt on that"
    Well, it is everyone's birth-right to hunt and fish. Some states are 80% or more privately owned at this point. Not only is the future of hunting and fishing completely dependent on land owners, the wildlife themselves are too. By your thinking, should I not be allowed to hunt elk, just because I don't own land with them? Am I supposed to buy 10 acres in Idaho and pray they walk by?

Boolit Master
    Got several ideas on hunting hogs now. Ideal would be a week of hunting hogs , son, son-in-law, oldest grandson (17) and me. After the week they go home and I meet the wife on the Gulf for a week or two just taking the sun and beach in, going to sleep with the waves sounding in my ears.

Well, it is everyone's birth-right to hunt and fish. Some states are 80% or more privately owned at this point. Not only is the future of hunting and fishing completely dependent on land owners, the wildlife themselves are too. By your thinking, should I not be allowed to hunt elk, just because I don't own land with them? Am I supposed to buy 10 acres in Idaho and pray they walk by?
    I say if you are not happy with public lands buy your own land. No free lunch!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    I say if you are not happy with public lands buy your own land. No free lunch!
    Ill be sure to let my 8 year old nefew know he can't go anymore until he buys his own.

Ill be sure to let my 8 year old nefew know he can't go anymore until he buys his own.
    What prevents his uncle from taking him on Public lands?

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully next year, nothing. All water is public here, but for hunting, it would be permission from a land owner. I go wherever the animals are, which is mainly private land until you get far enough north for big state and federal forests.

I'm A Honcho!
    Why would I pay money out of my own pocket to go shoot your feral pigs that are causing you a problem? Do you want to reduce the hogs tearing up land, or do you want to turn the south into a pig hunting safari? You can't have both. You can't cry about property damage, and then rake in cash from sucker hunters in the same breath.

I repeat, anyone that charges $2000+ just to allow somebody to shoot some feral pigs on their property for them, and then also cry's about the damage the pigs cause, deserves all the damage they cause. We have coyote's here that cause damage. I aint ever heard of anyone asking for cash to go shoot coyotes on their land.
    And getting govt subsides for crop destruction. Farmers get just as much welfare as the Antifa loving crowds.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

What welfare do farmers get? Subsidies for flood, drought, to help them recoup their expenditure losses? Do you need to look up welfare in the dictionary? Comparing farmers to antifa supporters is the dumbest thing I’ve read on this thread. If landowners find people willing to pay big money to hunt pigs on their land, so what? There is good advice given above on finding places to hunt them for cheap or free. You have to have fresh water and a constant food source for hogs to stay around enough to offer hunts. We run traps and shoot them on sight. We may kill 20 in a month and zero in 8 months. We definitely don’t want hogs so we don’t even use deer feeders here. States that don’t have them should count their blessings- for now- because they are headed your way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast